panteramatt

M&P15 Sport or build one?

Stripped Lower $110-average

Upper $300-400 plus $50-$70 compliance work

LPK $60-70

Stock and pinning $70-90 depending

BCG and CH $100-$150

Do the math and see if it works.

I have a Sport. Im impressed with the gun. I cut the FSB off and attached a 15" TROY VTAC rail. I was looking for a specific look.

Are you one that likes to tinker with their guns or want a custom look? If so, the build one.

If you're new to ARs and just want one to say you have you in your safe and are not looking to put any more money into it, then get the sport.

Seems I am not going to be alone to say "both" :-)

If you are on a VERY tight budget than you might be better building it from PSA / PTAC parts. I can't say anything specific about those yet, I have just received my PTAC upper from them, still need to saw off all unnecessary parts etc., but I doubt you can really beat the price. If you are willing to wait, you can get PTAC upper with BCG and CH for $290, Anderson/PSA lower for ~$50, LPK kit with stock for around $80, sights (at least $30, I think) and mag for $20-30. Add a transfer fee of, let's say, $25, and you come up with around $505 and a rifle that still needs compliance work to be done on it. 

I made those calculations before I decided to dive into it, but my reason is simple - from my early childhood I love LEGO, LOL :-) I doubt no other explanation would work better for me.

Also, have you looked into recent DPMS deal from GrabAGun with AR for $500 after rebate? It will still require some compliance work (pinning stock etc.), but overall this might well be a better deal than MP15 sport even if a little bit more expensive.

Nonetheless I still like my MP15 Sport and definitely don't regret buying it.