Mr.Stu

Spreading the good word

I have never been a shrinking violet and talk openly about my interest in shooting with just about anyone that shows a flicker of interest in what I like to do.

So it has been that I have had discussions with like-minded folks at work on many occasions and word has gotten around that this is what I do as a hobby and that I am a certified instructor and an active competitor in matches.

Last year I ran three guys at work through the NRA Basic Pistol safety course and was happy to issue their certificates.

Last month I was approached by one of the software developers asking if I would take him to the range. I happily agreed and he started getting really excited about the chance to actually fire a pistol for the first time. So now he's talking about it to his work group and on Monday I have a group of 3 people who have never even touched a gun, and one other that has a pistol already but rarely gets out with it, that I will be taking to the range.

As there are more than just a couple I have enlisted a friend who is also an instructor, not to mention just a great guy, to help teach the group and keep everyone safe.

This has taught me a really important lesson: I do not need to convince everyone that shooting is not bad, unhealthy, dangerous, scary, violent, or anything like that. I just need to help a few understand and build their enthusiasm. They will carry the good word forward as well and will probably have greater influence with their friends than I would as a stranger.

Another friend in the office approached me last week and asked if I could teach him to shoot because his wife had asked him about getting pistol for the home. I suggested that she might like to come along too and she has agreed - we just need to set a date.

So this makes 5 complete novices and 1 semi novice that I'm introducing to our world this year and it's only mid-February!

If we can all make an effort to show as many people as we can that have only seen the Hollywood version of shooting what it is really like I think we can make a difference to the attitudes in this State.

I would like to challenge anybody that is willing and has the confidence in their safety knowledge to find at least 3 people who have never touched a gun and take them for an introductory session at a range before the end of April. If you are new to shooting yourself, or are not comfortable with the responsibility teaching a novice reach out to your more experienced friends. Even if you only get them to fire 10 rounds of .22 it will be a start. Take them one at a time or as a group - whatever you feel comfortable with. If there are more than 2 or 3, I recommend getting another experienced shooter to come along to help you but plan it first so you both agree on your approach and stance when the difficult questions come up. If you are not experienced in teaching someone to handle a firearm feel free to PM me with any questions - I'll do my best to help. If anyone else would like to volunteer to be available for advice (especially if you have certified as an instructor) please announce yourselves by replying to this thread.

Another anecdote: Many years ago, my Dad was very anti-gun and I convinced him to come to the range just once. He discovered that the objective was not to blow seven shades of excrement out of whatever was downrange but that shooting was actually a precise and difficult thing to master. He was converted from an anti to, not an active shooter, but a supporter because he now understood what made it interesting to me. It turns out that pistols weren't really his thing but he decided shooting clays was more up his alley. My Mum (Mom but she and I are British) came out to the range a couple of times too.

We don't need to convert everyone to people who actively persue the shooting sports - there would be so much overcrowding at the ranges anyway. We just need to let folks see what marksmanship really means and how much concentration and steadiness is needed to shoot well so they can understand how much nonsense that the current laws really are and how much sensationalist crap flows from Hollywood.

Of course, we should also let them know that it is damned good fun!

Who accepts my challenge?

Stu.

Since I moved from NYC to Jersey, and many of my friends and coworkers are from NYC, in the last two years I've introduced 5 people to the "sport".  Unfortunately in the extreme draconian city and states makes it extremely difficult to obtain a permit.  Two are business owners in NYC and have started the process to premise carry but it's been a while.  One lives in NJ, submitted paperwork but haven't heard anything for over a year and too lazy to follow up.  The others simply doesn't have the avenue to even qualify to exercise the right to defense themselves should they choose to....

A few coworker at my 'new' job just recently learned that I own firearms and thought I was a NUT...  Gee... I wonder why....So, I had to explain to them it's not like the movies or how the media make it out to be. However, I do feel that being an 'NRA Instructor' carries more weight when trying to introduce people to a right they never knew existed... LOL ... So, I will start looking into taking a few course to be come certified and make it a on going challenge to procure more people to our cause... :D 

Not sure where you're located but, if you're close to Easton, here's one option...

http://www.heritageguild.com/Classes-and-Training/NRA-BIT-Pistol-Instructor-Course.aspx?viewmode=desktop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know what I'd like... an intro to instructing course for people like mw ho are inviting people to the range for the first time. I obviously talk about the 4 rules, how to hold a firearm correctly and how to operate the various controls, but it would be nice to know if there's other things I should be teaching/educating people on.

I actually "came out" at work as a gun owner this past week in response to someone showing interest in trying shooting for the first time. As much as I want to take him for the first time, I know I am not really qualified to teach anyone about shooting as I'm still very much a novice myself. I suggested that he try out a "First Steps" or NRA Basic course and I would be happy to take him and his friends to the range after they have a more experienced person give them the basics. I'm hoping this will bring 3 new people into the sport.

I actually "came out" at work as a gun owner this past week in response to someone showing interest in trying shooting for the first time. As much as I want to take him for the first time, I know I am not really qualified to teach anyone about shooting as I'm still very much a novice myself. I suggested that he try out a "First Steps" or NRA Basic course and I would be happy to take him and his friends to the range after they have a more experienced person give them the basics. I'm hoping this will bring 3 new people into the sport.

Don't you have a friend with at least enough limited experience to keep them safe on a firing line? Most places seem to do just fine serving noobs for a living.

If somebody shows interest in shooting I think it is probably better to try to seal the deal rather than suggest they go find a class somewhere. They are probably going to drop the idea.

Just food for thought.

As with many other things, often times its not even the message itself, it’s the way in which the message is conveyed.

IMO, if people view you (or whoever) as a nice, decent person, they’re more open to your point of view.

This is the sort of thing I was trying to say when I suggested that others would have more influence with their friends than we would as strangers. If we can start to show more people that we're just normal people too we have a chance of becoming accepted as such. That way, when the anti folks start in on people who shoot, John Doe will hopefully see the BS as it is because they know John Smith who shoots and he is not a maniac.

Is there anyone in the Wayne area that could help Seamus out with an intro session at the range for his friends? It probably should not be a full-on lesson, just a gentle intro with safety at the forefront. Hopefully, they'll get a taste and want to get more into it at which point a professionally run course would be the next step.

Most people I know don't want to get too spendy just to see if they like it.

You know what I'd like... an intro to instructing course for people like mw ho are inviting people to the range for the first time. I obviously talk about the 4 rules, how to hold a firearm correctly and how to operate the various controls, but it would be nice to know if there's other things I should be teaching/educating people on.

As a taster session, I don't think you should go too deep. I tend to have only 1 person shooting at a time so I can closely supervise and step in to handle things in the event of a malfunction. All the new person has to do is understand the muzzle safe points and basic aiming. It is also good to have a nice big target at 7-10 yards to start so if they are wildly off-center you and they can see where.

ETA: What will often turn off a new shooter is too long a preamble before they get to fire the gun. If it takes more than 15-20 minutes you have taken too long. With 1:1 supervision you can step in immediately if things start to go wrong either with instructions of by taking the firearm and clearing the problem yourself.

Below are the rules.  You don't have to be a bulls eye shooter to introduce people to shooting.  You have know the rules, have some common sense and some patience. 

Know the rules, convey the rules (and the seriousness) to your friends, closely observe them as they fire their first round.....and then as they smile!  Be sure to start with a very low recoiling round (22 or .38 in a heavy revolver that will soak up most of the recoil).  You want them to say, "Wow...that wasn't much.  What else ya' got!"  I shoot are Heritage Guild and Easton Fish and Game (outdoor range) both in Easton.  I'm willing to travel a little and it would be cool to check out some other ranges.  If you need help introducing some people and want access to a few more guns, let me know.  I have a GP100 (.357/.38 revolver) and CZ 75B (all steel 9mm, soaks up much of the recoil....probably one of the best guns in the world IMHO)  Good luck!

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET