intercooler

Moving out of Jersey....

Few things I can think of would give me more satisfaction than moving out of Jersey. I'd have my wife drive so as we crossed the border I could stick my keester out the window and moon the state goodbye and good riddance. That being said, in New Jerky we will stay with little chance of reprieve. My daughter and her family live nearby and my son-in-law has a very well-paying job.

I planned to move in PA with changing jobs last year , but didnt get the job. I ll try again this year.

My parents lived in Utah, New Mexico and Iowa in the last 10 years and i visited them very often.

If these 3 states are on your list i can give you the pros and cons of living in each

If you don't mind I would like to hear a little bit about UT and NM please.

The way I see it, we will have a democrat governor in 4 years and they will screw us as hard as possible with gun laws. So I see 4 years as my timetable for leaving. I'm not married and have no kids. Only thing keeping me here is my business. Once we figure out how to sell our property and move the business then moving out of state can be a reality. I'm still young but I'm already sick of the high taxes, cost of living, high insurence, gun laws, and corrupt govenment. Not sure where I'd like to move to but I'd be happy to be out of here within 4 years.

The more I think about it and look at house prices, the more I'm thinking about moving back to the Charleston, SC area...my wife's a hairdresser so her work is portable...my company has offices in all 50 states (1 in Charleston) so I'm set as soon as my son graduates in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always love to see these threads because it's a pure reflection of the pain you NJ folks endure.  We got out last year in July, moved down to South Carolina.  It was an 8 year trip in the making but we finally did it, made the choice for "us" and we couldn't be happier!  For all of those who don't have ties, or even for those that do, ask yourself what is keeping you there.  I hope all those that want to make a move do, and do so very soon.

Sadly, the Carolinas aren't all that immune to the cold. At this time of year, even in Charleston, you might be talking "coat weather" (upper 40's/lower 50's.)  You might escape some snow but, as this winter has proven, it's not unheard of down there. :(  I have even been in the Gainesville area of Florida in Nov. when below freezing.

I moved down to South Carolina thinking I'd get away from the cold and snow, and boy was I wrong.  However, this past year has been extremely odd weather wise with last summer's rain and this winter's extreme cold temps (it got down to 20 degrees here) and snow (we got 8 inches of snow and some sleet with this last storm).  But the whole country saw colder than normal temps and some really weird weather.  But it's currently 63 degrees here in SC and tomorrow it will be 70 while NJ got another 3 inches of the white stuff (at least in central NJ where I used to live).  The thing about the Carolinas from what everyone tells me is that  we'll have a short cold snap and then it will be 50 or 60, or even 70 degrees which has been true.  I just couldn't believe we got that much snow.

Deleted. I was going to say that Johnson & Wales had a Charleston SC campus, but that was consolidated into their Charlotte NC facility.

Still.... It might be close enough

Charlotte is about 3 hours from Charleston.

Nothing is worth your happiness and freedom.

Well said !

I have to concur.  We left all of our families, and we have a 2.5 yr old and it's even my wife's mom and father's first grandchild, but we had to do what was right for us as a family.  Families can always come visit.

Charlotte is about 3 hours from Charleston.

In my younger days, I'd drive 1.5hrs each way for a daily commute.  In a VW Beetle, no less...

I'd drive 2 hrs each way (day trip) for my favorite BBQ in Fl.  :D :D :D

Luckily my oldest daughter is looking to move to SC and become a teacher.  She is in her first year at Kutztown in PA and has made contact with some districts from Charleston down through Bluffton area and they, even at this early stage expressed interest.  I guess being a Science teacher in the 4-8 is needed allover..... my youngest has wonder lust.... 

I love the low country, so if my Dad wants to come down from SI NY to visit he can...my inwaws prolly will never leave LI although  they might....  what it comes down to is what is right for my wife and I...because in the end sometimes that is ALL you have...  Even then you never know...so be true to oneself and do what makes YOU happy....it's only one ride on this carousel, make the most of it...!

Well said again Nick.  Just tell your daughter to be prepared to not make a ton of money as a teacher down here because the pay scale is considerably less than in NJ.  My wife's income as a speech language pathologist was cut in half but it was a decision we had to make and be comfortable with.

In my younger days, I'd drive 1.5hrs each way for a daily commute.  In a VW Beetle, no less...

I'd drive 2 hrs each way (day trip) for my favorite BBQ in Fl.  :D :D :D

That drive today if you're commuting is going to be over 3 hrs with the traffic the way it is down here and even to Charleston.  That 3 hrs. is if you don't hit traffic.  That is some driving determination indeed!

She is aware of that....BUT given the lifestyle, cost of living etc. it is a better choice IMO...

We have friends that left here a number of years ago that were barely making it due to taxes jobs etc...they now live in spartanburg and love it.......!

Spartanburg/Greenville is BEAUTIFUL and I'd love to get a gig in that area.   However after an interview in Columbia I'm going to have to say that is a pretty sweet spot to be in.  Columbia/Lexington is nice because you are at the mid point of the state(1.5 hours to Greenville, Charlotte, or Myrtle Beach), only downside is the humidity. 

Humidity is no worse than here...I lived in the Lowcountry for 6 years and my biggest complaints are the Mosquitos and the stench of the paper mill. For anyone considering the area I will throw this out...stay out of North Charleston. It was turning into a drug riddled cesspool when I was a LEO there 23 years ago and it's only gotten worse since the Naval base closed.

I would love to leave this cesspool of a state but I married a Jersey girl so that's not going to happen. I took her to were I grew up in Michigan and she hated it, also took her to SC and GA and she didn't like either of them.

Humidity is no worse than here...I lived in the Lowcountry for 6 years and my biggest complaints are the Mosquitos and the stench of the paper mill. For anyone considering the area I will throw this out...stay out of North Charleston. It was turning into a drug riddled cesspool when I was a LEO there 23 years ago and it's only gotten worse since the Naval base closed.

That explains why my brother in-law just got his CCW, they do live in a really nice part of North Charleston. But a little ways down the road it is not so nice.

I just "exited" but the only tax I faced was a real estate transfer tax, which happens whenever you sell, not just leaving the state.  Oh and Jersey City hits you for $125 for some reason, I forget now.

This may be what my coworker was referring to.  How many percent was the tax?

(...)

Here's a tip for all of you single guys...move first then get married. I got married and my Italian wife cant separate herself from her mother. We almost bought in PA, but my asshole Mother in Law did everything she could to prevent it.

(...)

It can play out in different ways, LOL :-))) My wife grew up in NJ, her parents live here and THIS is actually one of the reasons SHE wants to move out as freaking far as possible from NJ :-)))...

My company has opportunities all over the place, but most are in places like Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and other cold places. None are appealing choices. I was planning to look into Asheville, NC but it looks like they are getting an increasing number of douchebag transplants from the northeast. As much as I want to flee the high cost of living and corruption, the people are the thing I want to get away from the most. I have travelled extensively throughout the country over the last 20 years and can say with confidence there are few places with such a high concentration of rude, inconsiderate, greedy people with shitty values as the Garden State.

I want to live where I share similar values with my neighbors. This ain't it.

Still considering parts of CO and UT but am open to other suggestions. I like OR too. Fortunately, my wife hates it here even more than I do and will move to just about anywhere my career can take me.

I'm allowing another 3 years to make it happen. If I don't have it sorted by then I may just pack the family in the car and drive until we run out of gas.

"If I don't have it sorted by then I may just pack the family in the car and drive until we run out of gas."

Just put a rifle in the back window and drive until someone comments "Hey, nice rifle. Whatcha got there?"

"If I don't have it sorted by then I may just pack the family in the car and drive until we run out of gas."

Just put a rifle in the back window and drive until someone comments "Hey, nice rifle. Whatcha got there?"

I think I'll go a little further until they tell me what it is.

It was $70 billion net out from 2004 to 2008, so I would guess triple that for the last 10 years total? Because it's probably been a lot more in the past 5 years.

Makes one think, how long can this state support the big government, big school bills and high taxes before it implodes?  Imagine if we got a governor with the same ambitions as the current NYC mayor? 

Scary!

Makes one think, how long can this state support the big government, big school bills and high taxes before it implodes?  Imagine if we got a governor with the same ambitions as the current NYC mayor? 

Scary!

And support this

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/02/comptroller_newark_watershed_director_took_care_of_herself_and_her_friends_at_expense_of_taxpayers.html#cmpid=nwsltrhead

Most of you are probably considering firearms laws as one factor in your decision to move. Consider them thoughtfully. When I moved out of NJ I was considering firearms laws as one of my top 3 reasons but I did not even take stock of what I should be considering.

30-round mags, CCW, and no AWB are probably not enough. That's probably what most NJ guys or gals have on their minds right now, but that's 90+% of the US.

Two things I would strongly consider:

- Off-limits places for carry

- NFA

Now, Texas and Florida don't allow Open Carry (as well as a few others). I don't like that one bit, but it might not be a deal killer. What bothers me a lot is that Texas (among several other states) have extensive lists of off-limits places for carry, and also allow people to post signs forbidding carry that have weight of criminal law. So you are going to be leaving your gun in your car a lot or not bringing it at all. Any state that has:

- No carry at gatherings or demonstrations

- Posted signs have weight of criminal law

- No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol

- Certainly any restrictions less practical than the above

should be strongly reconsidered.

The one thing I hate most about PA is that it is one of about 5 states that require most handgun sales to go through FFLs and be logged (registered) with PSP. I hate it a lot, but it is less of a deal killer than extensive off-limits places in carry laws. Just like Florida no Open Carry would p- me off to no end, but it might not be a deal killer.

NFA - you are going to want cans. You may not now, but you will. Strongly reconsider any state that has any restrictions on NFA, especially cans.

The priorities for me are being able to own whatever the damn well I want and carry just about anywhere. If I have to get a permit, grumble grumble, OK. If I can't OC, maybe. If I have to have two different permits and qualification for carrying revolvers or pistols (Texas), I'm pretty pissed. If I have to go through an FFL to sell a gun, I'm further angered.

But, at the end of the day, it's own whatever I want (including NFA) and being allowed to carry almost anywhere so that carry is actually practical and not just a piece of paper in my wallet.