9X19

Number of gun owners in NJ

Does anyone have a link to anywhere that actually indicates how many gun owners are in the state of NJ? I believe that we would have to be rated fairly low nationwide in relation to our population. NJ has about 8.7 million people living here, and I have heard that gun ownership is around 12.3 %. Does anyone know what the actual number of gun owners there are in NJ? If so where did you get this number from?

Thanks.

State Police? Maybe? I mean all that paperwork they get on every gun in NJ. I would think they could tell you easily right?

Not really sure if they would be willing to pass along that info to the general public though. They might. I just don't know.

Maybe blueline could chime in.

Not really sure if they would be willing to pass along that info to the general public though. They might. I just don't know.

Maybe blueline could chime in.

That would be only "registered" guns, though. How many "unregistered/unknown" owners are out there as well?

You would have to find number that  have FID cards. No way to tell on how many firearms. I moved here 2 years ago with 2200 handguns [kidding] as long as legal to own, no one knows.

I couldn't quote a number but there are plenty.  Shame is not nearly enough are "active" along the lines of the people on this site.  Plenty of fudd's with a hunting shotgun/rifle or two who don't care about 2A issues.  In my experiences I'm also shocked at how many people I come across who own a single handgun for home defense that they shot once years ago when they bought it and haven't touched since.

This will give you an idea but it's kind of a back door way of looking at your question.

In January 2014 NICS did almost 8,000 background firearm checks in NJ.

In 2013 for the entire year they 120,000

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/nics

That's great. Still going strong.

That's great. Still going strong.

But just a little "behind pace." An avg. of 8000 per month would be 96,000 for the year. I'm hoping things pick up later in the year. More than likely if any of these "gun initiatives" actually show some traction, especially mag limits or the "smart gun." :icon_rolleyes:

But just a little "behind pace." An avg. of 8000 per month would be 96,000 for the year. I'm hoping things pick up later in the year. More than likely if any of these "gun initiatives" actually show some traction, especially mag limits or the "smart gun." :icon_rolleyes:

I think those initiatives will help. They were one of the two factors (the other being the 9th circuit decision) that prompted me to finally get a handgun after many years of long guns only.

Interesting.

250K+ NICS checks in Kentucky in the month of January for a state with 4.4 million people (double the amount NJ did last year).

120,000 NICS in NJ last year @ $15 a pop is $1.8 million to NJ.

For a system that does about 400 NICS checks per day (for the days that it is open).

If you google "Number of gun owners by state" you should get about 14% for NJ.  I believe the survey data is a few years old.

This still works out to roughly 1.2 million gun owners, or more then all of the Armies of Europe.

I don't know how many gun owners are in New Jersey,  but I do know that we ALL better get out there and VOTE !

That was kind of the point of this. I am amazed by how many adults that I talk to ..

people in their 30's all the way well in their 70's, that say they don't bother voting because their vote does not matter. I guess it mattered for the big cities in 2012. And our voices sure matter now. People make your phone calls. Send your faxes and emails. Get the word out. It is not too late. Repeat, it is not too late to be heard if you believe in your rights as an American citizen.

Interesting.

250K+ NICS checks in Kentucky in the month of January for a state with 4.4 million people (double the amount NJ did last year).

120,000 NICS in NJ last year @ $15 a pop is $1.8 million to NJ.

For a system that does about 400 NICS checks per day (for the days that it is open).

they run a NICS check on all their CCW holders every month.