Lalo

ALG Combat Trigger with JP Enterprises Trigger Spring Kit

Yes, I know, the answer is always Geissele. However I'm not looking to spend $200 on something I don't think I need. This is not about which trigger is best, but rather how can you get a good economical trigger that's better than a standard milspec FCG.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the ALG Defense Combat Trigger and the JP Enterprises reduced power spring kit.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

I'm not a precision shooter, nor do I shoot past 100yds (at least not right now) so the standard milspec trigger hasn't done me wrong. I'm just looking for a way to spruce up a standard FCG without breaking the bank as I'd probably want to do this with all my ARs.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?  It will be a nice step up from a factory trigger. 

For a couple bux more, you could step up to the 2 stage Rock River National Match trigger.  Here's one for $85:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=397314043

After that, you jump up to Geissle, McCormick, Timney etc.

RRA's are great until they eat themselves. My first AR was an RRA with a two stage trigger. I shot it until it became a mushly, light single stage so I hit the internet only to discover that's normal.

ACTs are phenomenal upgrades to the USGI trigger. For the money, I don't think you can get a better trigger upgrade for the AR15.

RRA's are great until they eat themselves. My first AR was an RRA with a two stage trigger. I shot it until it became a mushly, light single stage so I hit the internet only to discover that's normal.

ACTs are phenomenal upgrades to the USGI trigger. For the money, I don't think you can get a better trigger upgrade for the AR15.

Interesting.  I only have 1 AR w. the RRA Match and it doesn't get shot too much.  I'll have to watch out for that. 

First, don't lighten springs in the FCG. You lose reliability for an incremental increase in subjective "feel". Terrible trade.

I have no long term experience with the ALG. I know that it is a mil-spec trigger "tuned" by Geissele so I know it is quality and should last. I have fired it and my impression - meh.

Subjectively it was minimally better than the stock trigger in my Colts or the Stag parts kits I use when building a lower up. The ALG offered no improvement to my shooting and I had to really pay attention to notice any difference at all in the feel when doing anything but bench shooting.

This is where the "You get what you pay for" thing rears it's ugly head. You will spend 1/4-1/3 of the cost of a SSA but will get performance much less than expected or desired.

The Geissele is expensive because it does two things the others don't:

It provides an exceptional trigger with a good balance of smooth, crisp, and light

AND

It is durable and will last long after other triggers with a comparable "feel" have given up the ghost

The Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger that I have seen last through high round count classes or true tactical training and is the only aftermarket trigger I will put in my rifles - I prefer the SSA version as it meets my needs for a tactical gun that is used in "social settings", instead of shooting at the range or off a bench, but I do have a SDE in an SPR type I built.

My advice, save up and get the right trigger the first time. If you are against that I say go for the ALG - at least it will last longer that an RRA, JP, Timmey, etcetera....

I think what you're paying for with the ACT over a USGI trigger is the complete removal of trigger creep and a cleaner/crisper break than standard. There shouldn't be an appreciable difference in pull weight over a USGI trigger as it's designed to be a drop-in replacement with a similar pull weight to maintain reliability.

I have the ALG with the JP springs in it. I put it in my 15-22 and it's fine little bit lighter than the stock springs. The JP triggers are great if you can tune them. I took the ALG triggers out of my rifle when I bought the Geissele SD3G.

If you cannot get the Geissele triggers the ALG is my second pick. I would like to play with the Hipertouch triggers!

+1. I have this trigger in my AR. Although the gun doesn't cycle, the trigger is great. :maninlove:   I don't have the need for a Geissele, Timney, et. al. Great triggers, just not for me at this time.

C

Yes, I know, the answer is always Geissele. However I'm not looking to spend $200 on something I don't think I need. This is not about which trigger is best, but rather how can you get a good economical trigger that's better than a standard milspec FCG.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the ALG Defense Combat Trigger and the JP Enterprises reduced power spring kit.http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

I'm not a precision shooter, nor do I shoot past 100yds (at least not right now) so the standard milspec trigger hasn't done me wrong. I'm just looking for a way to spruce up a standard FCG without breaking the bank as I'd probably want to do this with all my ARs.

Thoughts?

I use this set up in my .308 gas gun and have a sub 1/2 MOA group at 100 yards. I drill the small 600 meter plate without any problem and no problem with the setup out to 1100 meters.

Just go out and shoot..... often

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the ALG Defense Combat Trigger and the JP Enterprises reduced power spring kit.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Thoughts?

I have this exact setup on my 14.5" Midlength.  It's great!  Nice crisp trigger, no creep, not gritty at all.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate your opinions.

For a couple bux more, you could step up to the 2 stage Rock River National Match trigger.  Here's one for $85:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=397314043

I took a really long look at that RRA trigger and sounded really good until I read some of the issues some people were having. Granted, not everyone had issues but it was enough to turn me off. I just need something inexpensive that will work just like a regular milspec trigger, just a little better.

My advice, save up and get the right trigger the first time. If you are against that I say go for the ALG - at least it will last longer that an RRA, JP, Timmey, etcetera....

That would definitely be the plan, however is just can't afford to do it right now. And I know me, once I get something for one of my ARs, if I like the way it performs, I'll be getting the same for all three. Maybe next year if I can hold off on picking up a new toy for the rest of the year.

I have this exact setup on my 14.5" Midlength.  It's great!  Nice crisp trigger, no creep, not gritty at all.

Nice! That's really all I'm looking for. I'm going to try out the ACT first without the JP springs to see how it goes. Then, as HE and Old School suggested, I might go with the JPS3.5T springs instead of the reduced power springs.

I picked up the triggers from MidwestPX and look like they'll get here on Wednesday. If everything goes as planned maybe I'll take off on Friday and try them out at EFGA and provide everyone with some feedback.

Nice! That's really all I'm looking for. I'm going to try out the ACT first without the JP springs to see how it goes. Then, as HE and Old School suggested, I might go with the JPS3.5T springs instead of the reduced power springs.

I picked up the triggers from MidwestPX and look like they'll get here on Wednesday. If everything goes as planned maybe I'll take off on Friday and try them out at EFGA and provide everyone with some feedback.

Yes - I have the 3.5lb kit on mine, sorry.  Was confusing it with the reduced power one.

This one - http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-enhanced-reliability-spring-kits-prod32318.aspx

If you're at the next Clinton WMA meet, I'll bring the AR with the .22LR conversion kit so you can try it at the rifle range..

I thought I would never spend 200+ on a trigger until I talked to some people on the site and went to a gun show where they had them on display to try out. I was sold the first time I pulled the trigger. There's only so many parts of the rifle that interface with your body and the trigger is such a big part of the feel of your rifle. I agree that you should just save up .

So I received the ALG triggers from MidwestPX yesterday, and I removed the firing control groups from the S&W M&P15 and the PSA lower which had a FCG from Core15 to compare. The stock FCG on the M&P15 wasn't too bad, but you could definitely feel a little grit when engaging and the reset was just ok. The FCG from the Core15 LPK I was using on my PSA lower actually felt a lot better than one on the M&P15. It had a very smooth trigger pull and a shorter reset. I always preferred shooting that lower over the other one.

The ALG FCG looks awesome in comparison to both the S&W and the Core15. The plating on the components not only look great but feel great as well. When you touch them they almost feel as if they're wet with oil. The trigger/hammer/sear contact points look well polished and show no machine marks at all. All in all they look great, feel great and dry firing so far yields a nice standard, smooth trigger pull with zero grit and a more slick but noticeable reset. I'm sure one can accomplish similar results by getting a proper trigger job on a standard milspec FCG.

Here are some crappy pictures I took of the main components so you can see the difference in quality and machining. The new looking/shiny components are obviously the ACT parts, the middle component is from the CORE15 LPK and the one on the end is from the S&W M&P15. The M&P has maybe around 800-900 rounds through it while the Core15 has about 500-600.

temporary_zps6bdd6698.jpg

temporary_zps529bffed.jpg

temporary_zpsf0ca758b.jpg

temporary_zps7eddb839.jpg

temporary_zps700d058b.jpg

temporary_zpsd9ac9ae7.jpg

temporary_zpsc826047f.jpg

temporary_zps5233e4d1.jpg

temporary_zps1820e22a.jpg

I'm going to take the AR's out tomorrow to see how they perform.

That wet feeling is the lubricity of the electroless nickel plating with a Teflon-modifier. I like the ACT for general purpose use. It's cleaned up but not too light and it's a single stage trigger. My HD gun went from a S3G to an ACT because I want something a little heavier than the 3.5lbs of the S3G in my "oh ****" rifle.

Lalo..any update on how the setup worked?

I ended up purchasing the JP Reliability Enhanced Spring Kit to go with the ACT and the setup worked beautifully, exactly what I was expecting. It has a really smooth trigger pull with very little/almost no creep and breaks extremely clean. Reset is also crisp and audible. The trigger weight felt really good for an all purpose range/training/HD rifle.

Overall very happy with the setup compared to the standard milspec triggers I had on my other AR's. I'll probably pick up another one for my 15-22.