Sign in to follow this  
OfcrFek

Permit to burn... What should I get?

Just as the title says, I have a permit to use or lose. I still have a while on it, but honestly I'm kind of out of ideas on what I should get. I already have 2x 9mm (Sig and Ruger), a .22LR (Sig P226 w/ conversion kit), and a 1911. Only thing I don't have already is a revolver. Thinking maybe getting a cheaper .357? I dunno, don't really have a lot of $$ to use at the moment, because I'm in the middle of trying to move. Anyone have any suggestions/advice on a decent priced, decent built handgun?

not sure how cheap you are looking to stay. personally if you can find a used s&w 686 or gp100 than definitely do that. If you want new, look at the ruger sp101. ive heard good things about them and you can usually get them new in the $450-500 range

Maybe a used S&W 686. Just under that you could go with a Ruger GP100. If you want a pocket cannon get a Ruger LCR. :)

I would highly recommend a used 686, you can shoot .38, .38+ and .357 magnum. 

My strategy thus far, in the 20 months I've been into this, is to stick to 3-4 calibers but acquire different guns or gun types. If you don't have a revolver you should really consider one. My favorite is the S&W 617, in .22. I shoot 70-90% of my rounds through that gun.

But in your case, since you already have two .22 autos you will probably be disappointed in how you shoot a .22 revolver. 

They do make 9mm revolvers, which are loaded with moon clips. Or you can try a big-caliber revolver. There are tons of .357 magnum/.38 special wheel guns out there. I'm partial to Rugers (I have the SP101 and GP100), but I'm sure the S&Ws are excellent. Taurus trigger pulls in double action are a bit severe, IMO.

Or you can go completely crazy and get an E. German Makarov. These are the most expensive guns in the 9x18 family. They'll set you back $450-600 for a well-preserved model, but in my opinion they are totally worth it. Excellent size and weight, eminently concealable, and deadly accurate. A totally underestimated, under-appreciated gun in my opinion.

I'm a decent (average) shot. This is what I did with my E. German Mak about 2 weeks ago. 8 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, 9 shots, 14-15 yards (Damn windows 8):

mwrx3p.jpg

Can't extend that one? or did you already?

two already extended... fell victim of a lot of unintended expenses or else I would have used the two permits I had.. My intent was both a 1911 and a wheel gun. For now I think the revolver wins... just gotta find something in the $500 range.

GP100 all day

two already extended... fell victim of a lot of unintended expenses or else I would have used the two permits I had.. My intent was both a 1911 and a wheel gun. For now I think the revolver wins... just gotta find something in the $500 range.

For a while I was thinking of getting a little novelty derringer. Only like $150. But I would almost never shoot it, and it would feel like a waste of a permit... but at least I wouldn't feel like I gave the permit back to NJ. As that deadline approaches, if I got the money, I'll probably go for a S&W or Ruger revolver. If I don't, I'll pick up on of those derringers.