magnawing

Looks like I'm heading to Texas

Just got word from my boss that I'll be heading to Texas for work through the end of the year, at least.   There is the possibility of relocation to the Houston/Woodlands area if things work out.  I'll work on getting my Non-Resident CHL while I'm there...possibly convert it to a resident CHL if everything goes right.  I'm gonna hold off on changing residency until I know for sure that I'm staying there....lots to consider...My son is a high-school freshman in Warren Tech's Culinary program and we want to find a comparable program down there, my wife and daughter need to find out about transferring their professional licenses (hairdresser) to TX, if possible (wife shouldn't be a problem..daughter just finished school - may be a little tougher), house to sell, house full of belongings to move, need to find a home in a decent area, etc,...

Any other positions available?

probably...but I work for a consulting company that is filling 8 Facilities and Safety Management positions from within the ranks of their 5000+ employees.  I'll be in one of the safety manager positions for an administrative campus of a major petrochemical company.

probably...but I work for a consulting company that is filling 8 Facilities and Safety Management positions from within the ranks of their 5000+ employees. I'll be in one of the safety manager positions for an administrative campus of a major petrochemical company.

I have no idea what you're talking about but, I'm in.

Congrats. I would stay away from he woodlands area. Very heavy traffic. Especially if you're commuting into the downtown Houston.

I'm looking to move to the same areas. My wife and I like Pearland. I've looked into Katy but it's busy and lots of traffic.

Woodlands does have nice properties though. You'll be amazed at what $300k will buy there. Ive been there several times this year and will likely be there a few more times this year looking at properties.

I'll be working in NW Houston. I've been looking at the Conroe area. I'll be there a few months before there's a decision if we relocate. Our usual rotation is 10 days away & 4 home.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

I'll be working in NW Houston. I've been looking at the Conroe area. I'll be there a few months before there's a decision if we relocate. Our usual rotation is 10 days away & 4 home.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

I wish you the very best man.... I wish I could do the same in FL.

Two words:   Carter Country!   Great chain of gun shops in Houston.

Two more words:   County Line!  Great BBQ restaurant, and one of their locations actually shares a parking lot with a Carter Country.  It's an incredible nexus of goodness.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tuktuk...if you want to get into this line of work, start learning OSHA regs, get on your employer's safety committee, report near misses, ask your safety manager (if you have one) if they could mentor you. I began my professional life as a mechanic, got tired of it and became a LEO until I got shot at with a 30.06 and decided it wasn't worth it...went back to mechanic work but spent as much time as I could working with safety teams, bugging the safety mgr, and educating myself...or, if you're so inclined, look into colleges that offer degrees in Occupational Safety and Health...but that's the easy, short route into this career.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Change your residency immediately and buy some guns in case you ever have to move back to this forlorn hope of a state. Good luck!

I'd do that if my wife and kids were coming with me immediately...but they're not and I'll still have a house here, etc...I don't want to get myself in any legal or tax binds just to buy a few handguns.  I can still buy long guns down there and "modify" them....yea, that's the ticket, I'll "modify" them..if I ever have to bring them back to this Unconstitutional Republic called New Jersey.

I was actually thinking about picking this up when I get down there...you know, because I F$^&$#g can....

Untitled_zps7d3bdb03.jpg

threaded barrel, flash hider, collapsible stock, 30 round mag.....OH!!! THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

Yup, I am moving to San Antonio the end of June. Can't wait. Found a decent gun forum for Texas. I plan on staying on this forum and helping out when I can. The other one is TGT Texas Gun Talk. Great bunch of guys and have specific forums for each area of Texas. ( Admin if this is against the rules, please delete.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If location was a choice I could make, it would definitely not be Houston...I would prefer somewhere between Waco and San Antonio...but Houston is where Big Oil is so that's where I'm going.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I was actually thinking about picking this up when I get down there...you know, because I F$^&$#g can....

I'll bet every gun shop in TX has some version of this story: Guy walks in, touches everything with a collapsible stock, then stops in front of a rack full of 30-round PMAGS. "So," the owner says, "Cali or the North East?"

Good luck with that oil money.