Barms

More organized than you think.

Person A applies for P2P in town A. Several years later moved to town B. Change of residence form is filed along with reference names. Police department B calls the references put on the form PLUS the references that were on town A's form. In other words they called people he didn't put down on the most recent form.

How did town B know the references from a different town several years earlier?

I fully believe now that our paper system that many believe is unorganized is VERY organized.

This is a true story and the individual is very intelligent. He didn't mix up the names.

Not that I'm "mistaken". I just think for years the tone in here about paper trails (yellow slips etc) is very very lackadaisical.

How many times have we heard "do you know long it would take someone to look all that up?"

I'm not so skeptical anymore.

Because when you filed the transfer paper at Town A your file was sent to Town B.  The complete file is copied and sent along with all the documentation. 

This. Although I am not sure they copy said info, rather they just send your records over. Like if you change doctors.

Because when you filed the transfer paper at Town A your file was sent to Town B. The complete file is copied and sent along with all the documentation.

Which still supports the OP's point that none of this info is languishing in some long forgotten file cabinet.

That file also contains copies of every P2P you ever applied for, even the ones you didn't use.

Which still supports the OP's point that none of this info is languishing in some long forgotten file cabinet.

That file also contains copies of every P2P you ever applied for, even the ones you didn't use.

Sure. NJ has handgun registration, and has had it since 1967. Except now it is all computerized at the state level. The Pedunk PDs may keep them in a file cabinet.

Most departments are not as well organized as you think.  Nobody likes to do paperwork.  A close personal friend of mine was on the PD of my old home town.  He was the only one in the department with a criminal law degree. Guess who was delegated the job of "taking care of the paperwork".  When the state determined that someone of authority needed to be in charge. Guess who got promoted to Sargent.  He could not stand it. Did his time and got out at 20 years service.

Person A applies for P2P in town A. Several years later moved to town B. Change of residence form is filed along with reference names. Police department B calls the references put on the form PLUS the references that were on town A's form. In other words they called people he didn't put down on the most recent form.

How did town B know the references from a different town several years earlier?

I fully believe now that our paper system that many believe is unorganized is VERY organized.

This is a true story and the individual is very intelligent. He didn't mix up the names.

I am curious, though. Did the person file the change of address with town "A" PD, or town "B" PD? I would wonder why the person filed with town "A," when it's town "B" that has to do the investigation to grant the new FID & P2Ps.  If they filed only with town "B," then the only way would be if town "B"  sought the records from town "A" and got them.

I am curious, though. Did the person file the change of address with town "A" PD, or town "B" PD? I would wonder why the person filed with town "A," when it's town "B" that has to do the investigation to grant the new FID & P2Ps.  If they filed only with town "B," then the only way would be if town "B"  sought the records from town "A" and got them.

When you show you FID card issued by town A to town B when you file for change of address. B can then request from A.

When you show you FID card issued by town A to town B when you file for change of address. B can then request from A.

That's what I said. :D  But town B has to ask town A.  Certainly, if town B is about "delaying/denying," they will ask. If they're about "expediting," they might not.  Either way, I would not file the change of address with town "A" anyway, since town "B" has to re-vet everything before they issue, and since you're leaving town "A" it shouldn't matter to them anymore, except that you are no longer "their problem."

Because when you filed the transfer paper at Town A your file was sent to Town B. The complete file is copied and sent along with all the documentation.

This. My paperwork got held up bc my previous town did not send my file over in an orderly fashion.

That's what I said. :D But town B has to ask town A. Certainly, if town B is about "delaying/denying," they will ask. If they're about "expediting," they might not. Either way, I would not file the change of address with town "A" anyway, since town "B" has to re-vet everything before they issue, and since you're leaving town "A" it shouldn't matter to them anymore, except that you are no longer "their problem."

Yeah, you only deal with town B. And they will likely ask town A for your records.

Happened when I moved. And of course my old town dragged their feet.

Well not only did town B get the record from town A, town B called all references that were ever in his file. Talk about a thorough vetting.

"Hey i wonder why he didn't use the same references. Let me call these guys and see what they have to say"

Talk about major invasion of privacy