7-3-2

686 plus or saiga 223?

Help a brother out  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Saiga 223 or 686 Plus

• Saiga
    • Smith

Not sure if you all go through this or not as often as I do but I always battling between 2 or 3 different toys when it come time to drop the coin.

I was saving for my permit to come in and was going to grab a 686 plus but recently found out that my LGS got a few Saiga 223 rifles in. Here I am now wondering what to do,  spend the money Ive been saving on the saiga or just keep its moving and keep saving for the 686. 

Pros for the 686+

I don't have a wheelie outside of my sp101 22lr 

It would be my go to HD piece

They are GORGEOUS!

I always want the 357 but always end up buying something else

Pros for the Saiga

I already have an AR in 5.56 so I already have the ammo needed

I have a chance to get it while I still can (revolvers won't be banned anytime soon)

I could use another rifle as my AR and my 10/22 are all I have now

Its always a great idea to learn how to use a new platform effectively

Any advice? As of right now Im leaning towards the Saiga just because like I said above, the saiga might not always be obtainable in this State/Country while I can always get my hands on a revolver in the future.

Get the 686, and I say that as someone who doesn't own a single revolver or care to.

You already have a rifle, the Saiga would add a second string to the AR, you are never going to shoot both equally. I've shot Saiga's, they work but they are meh.

If they ban Saigas, they won't let you keep it anyway

What you really want is a 686 but you keep getting distracted. Well .. stop that. Focus, buy the 686, and see what you really want to get as the "next' thing.

If they ban Saigas, they won't let you keep it anyway

What you really want is a 686 but you keep getting distracted. Well .. stop that. Focus, buy the 686, and see what you really want to get as the "next' thing.

On the first point, the ban is simply on importation. So Saigas will always be obtainable (barring a gun control AK ban), but at an increasing cost. And remember that there are plenty of non-Russian AK's whose quality is comparable with Russian, and they are not on the importation ban. 

The second point is dead on. Take it from someone with the firearms attention span of a puppy on speed, 90% of impulse gun purchases end up getting sold in the end (often at a loss). Focus on what you like. Experiment with other people's purchases and see if it's a "love story". If so, then consider making your own purchase. It will save you money, time and hassle. 

Put a spring kit in the gp100 and it goes from great to amazing.

Remixer has a 686+ at this moment.

I love the GP100 as well and its right there neck and neck with the 686 imo but the extra round really makes the 686 plus appealing to me .. and the looks/finish

So just to let everyone know, I did end up putting a down payment on a 686+ last night ... now the ball is in Edison PD's court about when they want to get my permit ready. Thanks for all the direction guys, you saved me from making and impulse buy.

On the first point, the ban is simply on importation. So Saigas will always be obtainable (barring a gun control AK ban), but at an increasing cost. And remember that there are plenty of non-Russian AK's whose quality is comparable with Russian, and they are not on the importation ban. 

The second point is dead on. Take it from someone with the firearms attention span of a puppy on speed, 90% of impulse gun purchases end up getting sold in the end (often at a loss). Focus on what you like. Experiment with other people's purchases and see if it's a "love story". If so, then consider making your own purchase. It will save you money, time and hassle. 

I don't have a link to support this, but the word on the street is Kalashnikov Concern was bought out, and will circumvent Obummer's BS importation ban. The dealers are allegedly holding their stock trying to get as much for them as they can while people still think Saiga's are verboten.

OP get the 686 and wait for the Saiga market bottom to drop out. edit: OP already made the right choice

edit: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/foghorn/kalashnikov-concern-plans-skirt-us-import-ban-selling-company/