Sign in to follow this  
bhunted

Be forwarned!!!!

so......my shop phones.....if i'm on line1, and you try to call, it rings through on line2....but with this, it'll still block it it look like? shit....i might buy a couple of these things dammit!

Not sure on a 2 line setup I think you would need two of the call blockers (one for each line). Give them a call this week, good customer service for a relatively small company :)

Edit: Are you on a PBX (ie, do you have internal/external phone extensions?)

Not sure on a 2 line setup I think you would need two of the call blockers (one for each line). Give them a call this week, good customer service for a relatively small company :)

Edit: Are you on a PBX (ie, do you have internal/external phone extensions?)

it'

s a weird setup here. when i bought the place, it had avaya phone system in place, so there's still their computer in the back. i never messed with it, nor do i owe/pay them any money. i've got 3 lines total......2 voice, and one fax/cc machine. the fax goes straight to paper, therefor, i never plug in the machine unless i'm expecting a fax. last time i got an unsolicited fax, i wastet 20 minutes with a few copies of their fax(i wrote REMOVE with a sharpie), looping them through to the number given to fax information back. :D.

anyway, the other two lines come to a single unit mounted here on the wall.....but no caller id shows on that phone. crapcast put their phone modem downstream of the avaya thing, and that's where i have my cordless phones hooked up. they show caller id.

Slowly over time I've reached the point where I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number. Everyone else can leave a message. Life is a lot better that way.  Just because it is in your house and making an annoying noise it doesn't mean you have to pick it up and talk to people at the other end :)

This.  SOOO much this.  I do not ever answer the home phone..  No one EVER calls me on that number that I need to talk to.  ever.  ever..  anyone i need to talk to calls my cell..

Reminder: this post was a call on my cell that I just answered w/o looking because all I usually get on it is friends and family. My landlines don't get answered usually unless I'm familiar with the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- ....tomorrow, file a police report with my detective to start an investigation.

- .... And if all fails, I will engage a rash of my former agent colleagues and myself to find these scumbags.

These scams have been going on for years and years, why did we have to wait until someone with "former agent colleagues" to get scammed before the authorities get involved and move with a purpose?

If/after you catch the scum that scammed you, who will be working on the countless others out there, or will the investigations end until someone else with "former agent colleagues" gets scammed?

These scams have been going on for years and years, why did we have to wait until someone with "former agent colleagues" to get scammed before the authorities get involved and move with a purpose?

If/after you catch the scum that scammed you, who will be working on the countless others out there, or will the investigations end until someone else with "former agent colleagues" gets scammed?

Simple, I am retired. I did and will do my part to protect me and my family. It happens to you and you do nothing but the bare minimum, that's on you, not me. Crap like this goes on all the time because people are too lazy to engage a problem and expect everyone else to do their dirty work without any intervention. PERIOD!

And please, don't come here and crap on my thread. I could have simply not warned anybody. But did and supplied some procedure.

Simple, I am retired. I did and will do my part to protect me and my family. It happens to you and you do nothing but the bare minimum, that's on you, not me. Crap like this goes on all the time because people are too lazy to engage a problem and expect everyone else to do their dirty work without any intervention. PERIOD!

And please, don't come here and crap on my thread. I could have simply not warned anybody. But did and supplied some procedure.

I'm not crapping on the thread, I'm glad you warned everyone.

I (and many others) have been complaining to the authorities about this for years but we are not in a position to do anything to stop these scum. Complaining does nothing and to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been stopped. 

You seem to be, or at least prior to retirement, in a position to stop this crap but did nothing, until it affected you and your family. Public service is for the public at all times, not just when it affects the service provider our taxes pay for

Remember on the previous page I asked how they obtained your information?

This really isn't a scam, this is identity theft. Big difference.

Chances are no arrests will result from this as the people you spoke to might not even be within the United States, and if they are producing credit reports (you said the caller discussed available credit on accounts) they likely know how to stay one step ahead of the law.

You need to figure out how they obtained this information, did you apply for any loans or credit within the last 6 months? store cards?

My services were not public. That's all I need to say there. In my years where I was in the position, there was no tech to find these dumarses. Then again, back then, the worse were people pranking others asking if their refrigerators were running. On another note, if you followed my lay out, you may never know the outcome. The authorities are not necessarily required to tell you the outcome. Only to file charges against an individual or individuals if they need you to. To do nothing at all solves nothing.

Chances are no arrests will result from this as the people you spoke to might not even be within the United States, and if they are producing credit reports (you said the caller discussed available credit on accounts) they likely know how to stay one step ahead of the law.

You need to figure out how they obtained this information, did you apply for any loans or credit within the last 6 months? store cards?

Maybe Not. But I've taken all precautions on my end.

Wife confirmed they can't pull statements with an ssn. All I can do is hope they are caught. But as I said, I did everything I can do on my end. I will cooperate with any authorities that needs my input.

Maybe Not. But I've taken all precautions on my end.

Wife confirmed they can't pull statements with an ssn. All I can do is hope they are caught. But as I said, I did everything I can do on my end. I will cooperate with any authorities that needs my input.

That's the attitude you want, do not depend on any conviction rather protect yourself.

Run a credit report every month or so and look for anything unusual (new inquires, new credit card accounts or other lines of credit) not sure if you put a freeze on your credit report but you can by calling/faxing all three credit bureaus and setup a pin number to unblock them in the future.

Edit: your wife said they can't pull statements with a social, that's not true...if you have my social, dob and mothers maiden name you can pull a credit report showing my balances.

This. 100%

+100

+ Google Voice. The best free service from Google I've ever used (I think it's even better than Gmail, LOL).

I never, repeat, NEVER EVER, received a marketer's call on my GV number. They seem to keep a database of telemarketers and scammers in the system and simply drop calls right away.

as to how they got cc info, that's actually pretty easy. there was a case in stratford a couple years back. a guy from philly supplied the gas pump attendants with a "reader?" if i'm calling it right. this was at the gas station on the corner of rt30 and laurel rd. the gas attendants would swipe your card in their machine for the gas you bought.....while the receipt was printing, they swiped the card through their reader. they got a lot of cc numbers that way.

as to how they got cc info, that's actually pretty easy. there was a case in stratford a couple years back. a guy from philly supplied the gas pump attendants with a "reader?" if i'm calling it right. this was at the gas station on the corner of rt30 and laurel rd. the gas attendants would swipe your card in their machine for the gas you bought.....while the receipt was printing, they swiped the card through their reader. they got a lot of cc numbers that way.

They are sold on the dark web as credit card dumps, $5 for 100...that's card number with CCV and matching name/address.

This is why I NEVER EVER let the attendant take my card while in the truck or let some cashier manually swipe it. It's known that cashiers setup a reader under the counter and offer to run the card for you (instead of you running the card yourself on the terminal/signing it).

They are sold on the dark web as credit card dumps, $5 for 100...that's card number with CCV and matching name/address.

This is why I NEVER EVER let the attendant take my card while in the truck or let some cashier manually swipe it. It's known that cashiers setup a reader under the counter and offer to run the card for you (instead of you running the card yourself on the terminal/signing it).

this i gotta say also, is part of why i never got a credit card since i've dug my dumb ass out of credit card debt many many moons ago.

Thanks for the info.  It seems as though ours was compromised right after my wife got gas at WaWa...

Thanks for the info.  It seems as though ours was compromised right after my wife got gas at WaWa...

It's possible the attendant saved the card data and cloned the card, cloning is when you write the card data to a blank card with a card writer...

You can even purchase blank Amex, Master and Visa card blank along with the embosser (to emboss the cards with raised numbers) on the dark web.

Avoiding phone scams completely -- not just not falling for them -- is simple.

Get caller ID. If you don't recognize the number don't pick it up. That's what we do around here.

on cell phone that's kinda easy. at home on landline kinda easy. on a shop phone....not so much. i've got some(not many) military customers. those don't change their number just 'cause they're stationed at dix. i've got a couple customers that've moved into the area from surrounding states, or live in pa, but work here....same thing.

what i HAVE done though, is learned how to spot them when looking at caller id. if the call says nothing more than the city/state, it's a robo or sales call. if it's unavialable, or private, it's a robo or sales call. i've seen some that say a phone number on the top line, and the bottom line is V123456778, or some other string of numbers. i used to answer them, but never had one that wasn't a robo call. more often than not, if i chose to call any of the robocalls back, i get a "this number is no longer in service" message. i've called those numbers from line2 while line1 was still ringing with the call from them, and gotten the same message.

it's frustrating. it's a time waster on its lowest level, and a massive time waster in something like the op posted about. there really needs to be no acknowledgement of borders with stuff like happened to him. if the call originated in china, and they can track it right to the person, then the authorities should be working together to nail that persons ass to the wall.

as for these robo callers.....as much as i HATE govt interference, i think that there needs to be a law that if joneses butterkake factory wants to solicit business, that there MUST be a live person making those calls, not a machine.

on cell phone that's kinda easy. at home on landline kinda easy. on a shop phone....not so much. i've got some(not many) military customers. those don't change their number just 'cause they're stationed at dix. i've got a couple customers that've moved into the area from surrounding states, or live in pa, but work here....same thing.

what i HAVE done though, is learned how to spot them when looking at caller id. if the call says nothing more than the city/state, it's a robo or sales call. if it's unavialable, or private, it's a robo or sales call. i've seen some that say a phone number on the top line, and the bottom line is V123456778, or some other string of numbers. i used to answer them, but never had one that wasn't a robo call. more often than not, if i chose to call any of the robocalls back, i get a "this number is no longer in service" message. i've called those numbers from line2 while line1 was still ringing with the call from them, and gotten the same message.

it's frustrating. it's a time waster on its lowest level, and a massive time waster in something like the op posted about. there really needs to be no acknowledgement of borders with stuff like happened to him. if the call originated in china, and they can track it right to the person, then the authorities should be working together to nail that persons ass to the wall.

as for these robo callers.....as much as i HATE govt interference, i think that there needs to be a law that if joneses butterkake factory wants to solicit business, that there MUST be a live person making those calls, not a machine.

Yup. Caller ID won't save you from actually having to go over to the phone and see who's calling.

I've been on the Do Not Call list since its inception. Worked for a few years. Now it's practically useless. I get 5-10 calls a day. I ask to be removed and the assholes just hang up. (Very bad thought regarding pressing a button and terrible illness befalls caller deleted).