Bushmaster1313

What happens if currently owned black rifles are reclassified as NJ assault weapons

Probably true, but bet money they have a pretty good idea where to start to look.

If they (NJSP) wanted to confiscate "assault weapons" they could review 4473's and A&D books at FFL's in NJ and find out who bought what and when...time consuming and requires a good deal of man power...

If they (NJSP) wanted to confiscate "assault weapons" they could review 4473's and A&D books at FFL's in NJ and find out who bought what and when...time consuming and requires a good deal of man power...

Oh Officer, You mean that black rifle that I sold FTF a couple years back???  Oh, you mean the copy of the COE from that sale??? The one my dog ate???

that won't help them find all the home built rifles. or the ftf sales.

All you guys that allegedly lost your rifles in a canoe accident, boating, fishing, hunting etc., did report them lost to local LE in the jurisdiction at the time have you not? Ehem....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do realize we've already been through this, right? It's pretty well established what happens when NJ bans guns, magazines, etc.

Or they can just kick in the doors of everyone that has been issued a FPID card. And sort out what they collect later. Not likely to happen though. That won't be until they make all guns illegal. At that point people will be shooting back and I plan to be long gone. They'll be knocking on an empty door.

It will probably go the way CT did. They'll wait to catch you with one, then make an example out of the people they catch.

Um...

That's the way NJ did.

Except that CT allowed people to register and keep them and NJ did not.

Wrong, NJ allowed owners of "assault weapons" to register them. Registered "assault weapons" exist in NJ but they cannot be transferred or (if damaged) replaced.

Or they can just kick in the doors of everyone that has been issued a FPID card. And sort out what they collect later. Not likely to happen though. That won't be until they make all guns illegal. At that point people will be shooting back and I plan to be long gone. They'll be knocking on an empty door. It will probably go the way CT did. They'll wait to catch you with one, then make an example out of the people they catch.

NJSP could offer owners the chance to register or dispose of "assault weapons" as they did during the 1990 ban.

Those that registered were lucky as they could keep "assault" firearms they had legally purchased, others sold or stored them out of state and some...well, they kept them ;)

Um...

That's the way NJ did.

Except that CT allowed people to register and keep them and NJ did not.

Hi-Cap mags are legal in NJ:

New Jersey prohibits the manufacture, transportation, shipment, sale, or disposal of any large capacity ammunition magazine not intended for authorized military or law enforcement purposes (NJ Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-9(h)). New Jersey prohibits the knowing possession of a large capacity magazine unless the possessor has registered an assault firearm pursuant to state law and uses the magazine in connection with competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the director of civilian marksmanship of the U.S. Department of the Army (NJ Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-3(j)). The law also exempts from the ban possession of the magazines by authorized military or law enforcement personnel for official purposes.

If you registered an "assault weapon" in 1990 and belong to a club/organization recognized by CMP (and use them only in "competitive shooting matches" you are legal.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0039.htm

There are no "ifs" or "maybes". This will happen.

Agreed.

Although I have a hunch Steve Fulop might fare better than Sweeney in an election. Either option will be bad for gun owners.

If this ever happened the State would probably offer an amnesty and registration period just like the NJ AWB allowed "assault weapons" to be registered and owned but not resold within the State...

The big question is: would you register them? I would if it meant keeping my toys.

I really, really hope you're kidding and if you're not, you better research and study history. If you're being sarcastic, then forgive me in advance.  Do you really believe registering your guns is for stopping criminals? Do you think it's for government to protect and help you? Do you honestly believe it would end well? Look up in history the order of tyranny--- simple registration, followed by fines, followed by imprisonment, followed by confiscation (anyway) followed by 250 MILLION innocent, defenseless people killed in about 100 years. G oahead and register your gun(s) and see how things work out for you. 

Do you [even] understand what the 2A is all about? Do you understand why citizens should "bear arms" without government infringements? If you don't, then I suggest you learn. 

Once Christie departs, the folks in Trenton will be tripping all over themselves to enact their own version of New York's SAFE Act here in the Garden State. It will be another "historic first" for New Jersey. I can already picture Loretta Weinberg gloating.

I was reading somewhere where someone estimated that less than 10% of New Yorker's registered their "evil" items on the deadline imposed by the SAFE Act. Many residents altered them to conform, many more did nothing. Those who own them still in their original state now represent future "opportunities" and soon-to-be-made-examples-of for the State of New York.

I would expect the same situation for New Jersey once a similar measure is enacted.

Once Christie departs, the folks in Trenton will be tripping all over themselves to enact their own version of New York's SAFE Act here in the Garden State. It will be another "historic first" for New Jersey. I can already picture Loretta Weinberg gloating.

I can hear them now:  "Common sense gun laws..."  "Model legislation..."  "For the children..."  "If it only saves one life..."

Blah, blah, blah.  I'm about ready to puke just thinking about it.  

Does anyone know where we can get three round mags? 

Shouldn't need any more ammo than that to kill a deer.

I really, really hope you're kidding and if you're not, you better research and study history. If you're being sarcastic, then forgive me in advance.  Do you really believe registering your guns is for stopping criminals? Do you think it's for government to protect and help you? Do you honestly believe it would end well? Look up in history the order of tyranny--- simple registration, followed by fines, followed by imprisonment, followed by confiscation (anyway) followed by 250 MILLION innocent, defenseless people killed in about 100 years. G oahead and register your gun(s) and see how things work out for you. 

Do you [even] understand what the 2A is all about? Do you understand why citizens should "bear arms" without government infringements? If you don't, then I suggest you learn. 

you know all of our pistols here are registered, right? unless they were brought in with you when you moved here that is.

Yes, I understand what the second amendment is about and that registration will not stop criminals and I am not promoting gun registration or gun control.

The State of New Jersey is allowed to supersede Federal firearms laws and this has been upheld in court. Passing another assault weapon ban and requiring registration or out-of-state disposal of assault weapons is a very real possibility.

The 1990 assault weapon ban left gun owners with two options ...sell (or store) them out-of-state or register the assault weapons. Nothing the pro-2A groups did helped save NJ gun owners.

Oh, and how would this not "end well"? if you are counting on every NJ gun owner refusing to register assault weapons and risk prison time you are dreaming the reality is if it happened before it can will happen again.

• Like 1

I was reading somewhere where someone estimated that less than 10% of New Yorker's registered their "evil" items on the deadline imposed by the SAFE Act. Many residents altered them to conform, many more did nothing. Those who own them still in their original state now represent future "opportunities" and soon-to-be-made-examples-of for the State of New York.

I would expect the same situation for New Jersey once a similar measure is enacted.

So...

1 - Register them and be legal.

2 - Sell them to an FFL or out-of-state buyer, or arrange out-of-state storage.

3 - Do nothing and risk prison time.

1 and 2 sure beat 3...

Just checked one of mine and it says: "Permit to purchase a handgun & form of register".

So all handguns purchased in NJ are registered, right?

CORRECT. unless you moved into the state, already owning one......then it's not.