Sign in to follow this  
dajonga

Scrap metal recycling

We are converting from oil to gas.

In my driveway I have, or will eventually have, a 25-year-old beast of a furnace, 2 oil-fired hot water heaters, a stainless steel (I assume) chimney, blowers, duct work and other assorted scrap metals from around the yard.

I have never scrapped before. How does it work?

Any scrap yards to recommend or avoid? I would prefer to stay in Ocean County.

I know I am not gonna get alot of money from this stuff, but for years I have pushed all metal to the curb, where it disappears within hours. Now that I have a ton of it, I figure its time to see what I can get from it.

We are converting from oil to gas.

In my driveway I have, or will eventually have, a 25-year-old beast of a furnace, 2 oil-fired hot water heaters, a stainless steel (I assume) chimney, blowers, duct work and other assorted scrap metals from around the yard.

I have never scrapped before. How does it work?

Any scrap yards to recommend or avoid? I would prefer to stay in Ocean County.

I know I am not gonna get alot of money from this stuff, but for years I have pushed all metal to the curb, where it disappears within hours. Now that I have a ton of it, I figure its time to see what I can get from it.

Scrap is way down right now. I don't mess with steel, I give that to the scrap guys so I don't have to deal with it. Not much it's a couple bucks per 100 lbs. Since I charge $125 per hour, making $35 to spend 2 hours worth of cleaning scrap and driving it to the yard burning fuel makes zero sense financially for me.I keep the copper and brass, until the price hits a peak then bring it all down in one shot. Then I take a vacation to the Caribbean with what I make.

I recommend calling around for whomever is paying best. I know nothing about salvage in Ocean County. I bring my stuff to a place in Dover Morris County. The cleaner you make everything the more they pay. So disassemble as much as possible for the best prices. And keep everything separate, light steel, cast iron, heavy steel, and stainless (preferably non magnetic, worth more).

i used to be a big scrapper-aluminum, copper, brass- but the mixed steel isnt worth the effort, only pays pennys per lb. And the less you have to handle it the less likely to get cut or hurt. put it curbside or on craigslist.

If the heater still works you can get a couple hunderd for it on CL. Lots of farmers need old oil heaters for greenhouses and lots of guys put them in the garage.