maintenanceguy

M16 look alike AR

I'm probably starting to look for my first AR style rifle.  I'm hoping somebody can point me toward what I want.   I really like the look of the traditional M16 - fixed stock, tapered barrel shroud/forearm.   Olive Drab furniture would be sweet but not necessary.   I would love for it to be .5.56 but I could live with .223.

I'd like to spend somewhere around $600 but I could go a little higher if needed.

Does anybody make such a gun that's also jersey legal?  I'm looking for something fully assembled instead of doing it myself.  I'm sure I could build one from parts but every time I've DIY'd a project to save some money, it's cost me more money than if I just bought the thing.

m16.jpg

The original M16A1 flash hider was the three pronged "tulip" which is a no go in NJ as well as the A2 birdcage.  If you can be satisfied with an A2 lookalike there is this.

725178.jpg

Sarco has the handguard and stock

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m16triangularhanguardsets.aspx

ar318.jpg

Very nice. Exactly what I was picturing. Did you paint the stock or was it already used?

It's a used Vietnam m16a1 kit. You need to supply the barrel and lower receiver.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/987404632/Colt-Vietnam-Era-M16-AR15-A1-Parts-Kit.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want something correct it is going to cost more than $600. If you want correct looking you can use a SP1 upper or surplus A1upper. Then you can use a Nodak Spud lower to match it to the correct style upper you will use. Another problem is all of the new lpks are the wrong color and look ridiculous in a colt gray rifle. If you look on gunbroker you can sometimes find a good deal on a rifle someone built with these components that just needs to be jersey neutered.

Don't hold me to it but this is what I remember having into mine

M-16 kit $350

Barrel with sight $190

Lower $50

Brake $30

Lower parts kit $90

I have a colt upper receiver with carry handle and stock with internals for sale. Brand new never fired take offs. But I don't remember what I listed em at. They were in the market place

PART_1439147599230_20150809_133503_zps2a

I assembled one early last year for my Father-in-Law to mimic his gun from the military, right after Vietnam. Was going for an A1. Because of NJ's laws, couldn't do the 3 prong FH like it's supposed to have. I also screwed up and put an A2 upper on it, which I didn't realize until it was completely done. Father-in-law didn't notice, and when I told him, didn't care. lol.

I think I found my triangular HG's at Oaks at Sarco's table if I remember correctly...

PART_1439147599230_20150809_133503_zps2a

I assembled one early last year for my Father-in-Law to mimic his gun from the military, right after Vietnam. Was going for an A1. Because of NJ's laws, couldn't do the 3 prong FH like it's supposed to have. I also screwed up and put an A2 upper on it, which I didn't realize until it was completely done. Father-in-law didn't notice, and when I told him, didn't care. lol.

I think I found my triangular HG's at Oaks at Sarco's table if I remember correctly...

Very well done!

• Like 1