nuclearheli

New Mark 7 Autodrive on one of my 1050's

Just got one of the new Mark 7 Auto drives and mounted one of my Dillon 1050's on it. The first video was run at 1200 Rounds/hour, the second video is 1500 rounds/hour. It will go up to 1800 rounds/hr and with the upgrade due in next month it will go to 2400/hour for processing. Very nice unit, read up on it. All digital runs as advertised. Worth the money when your loading between 35-45k rounds/year and preprocessing all the brass.

That's awesome.  Must have run you a pretty penny though!

Yeah, it was expensive, a little over 3k for the complete drive unit and some extra sensors. One of those have to have things, it's never about need. I think I am going to start leasing out time on my 1050's. LOL, Like those self service auto garages. Bring your brass, powder, bullets and primers and load away.

• Like 2

Looks awesome. Any issues with the digital clutches or are the sensors sensitive enough?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

No trouble at all so far. The sensors are definitely sensitive enough and all of that is configurable through the software on the tablet. Lots of settings you can configure through software that really enhances the way the press runs. One I really like is the bottom dwell adjustment which allows you to set a dwell time. Sometimes with larger loads or difficult powder it's good to leave the press down to completely empty the feeder. Also great for trimming rifle brass with my Dillon trimmer. You can set it to sit on the case for a fixed period of time to ensure proper trimming. Only just started fooling around with the sensors and settings.

• Like 1

I've been looking at automation for 1050s.  Forcht is about 90 minutes away from me and I was thinking about taking a 1050 to him.  But the Ammobot has also caught my eye. That's an impressive setup you've got there though.  I'm jealous!

I'm really into the digital part of this Auto Drive. It's very robotic and technical. No brute force in this thing. They have a whole host of sensors coming out for bullet drop, primer insert and powder drop. I have the low primer sensor and the decap sensor.  I had the Ponsness on one of my 650's. Once I got it setup it ran pretty good but I cannot tell you how many indexing rings I snapped off because of simple jams. No matter how hard I tried to adjust the mechanical clutch I was constantly breaking stull.

Cranked it up to maximum speed for making rounds last night, 1800 rounds/hour. Made almost 2500 rounds with only 5 interruptions besides primer refills. All 5 were badly damaged cases. Little over 90 minutes total.

That's pretty awesome. How many hours do you have into learning the system and getting it set up and running? 

I got frustrated when it took me a half a day to do all that with the LnL, I couldn't imagine me ever having the patients to use a 1050 especially if it's got a computer hooked to it. 

That's pretty awesome. How many hours do you have into learning the system and getting it set up and running? 

I got frustrated when it took me a half a day to do all that with the LnL, I couldn't imagine me ever having the patients to use a 1050 especially if it's got a computer hooked to it. 

It's probably the same for any press, the real learning curve is reloading itself not press operation. I have always had 650's so moving to 1050's was not a big leap or learning curve. The presses are completely different but I understand the basics of the presses and what does what. I also have tool heads for all of my calibers. Changing tool heads on the 1050's (caliber changes) are a bit more involved but they don't happen very often. The Mark VII on the other hand was a piece of cake to hook up and get running. I was making rounds with the autodrive in less than an hour.

I remember spending days trying to get the right adjustments and timing with the Ponsness system on my 650. Kept on breaking stuff with that drive until I got it setup just right.