Indianajonze

Another Shooting at Gun For Hire

If a person you know is currently having "issues" that you are aware of, then no. Of course not.  You're not going to hand him or her a gun. I have an old friend that I believe has had a long history of mental health problems.  Given that I know that... and I'm not an expert on the subject.. but am concerned about and unsure about how he would behave.... I will not invite him shooting anywhere.   Just as I wouldn't hand someone that just soaked themselves in gasoline a lit cigarette.  We should have the ability to evaluate at least some risks.

But if a person was depressed over the loss of a loved one..spouse for example... and spoke of not being able to go one alone... no.   Not giving them a gun.  Then... 10 years have passed...or however many... and they have appeared to move on. Are dating someone, seem happy.  Do I ask them if they'd like to learn how to shoot clays?  Sure.  Why not?

Well that's the basis for the mental health policy. They don't/can't do a perfect job. They can't embed an MD/PhD for six months with everyone in this state who's hospitalized for mental issues, to determine if they're "cured" or not a danger to anyone. Imperfect.

Gun For Hire's web site gives a slightly different picture (although it might not be up to date).

http://gunforhire.com/first-time-shooting/

Come on in and experience it for yourself or you could ask any of the previous 104,346 visitors!

Maybe he typed too many zeros when he mentioned it.

As for NJ, he gets them from all over the world. Thats pretty impressive in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick, somebody already crunched the numbers and illustrated some of the possible, or should I say impossible, scenarios. I wonder who :)

FYI they're open 58 hours/week and have 19 ports. But don't worry the guy who supplied the 1.2 million figure was "privy" to special information that nobody else has. And I mean nobody. He also owns a unicorn farm in Wantage.

Don't be a smartass!

Ok, here is what I got with my trusty pencil.

82 hours a week x 19 ports x 363 days = 565,554 port hours a year!

That is assuming 1 person per port and 100% capacity. And as I said, they come in parties and rent stuff left and right. I've seen it. You figure with walk ins there are already 2 per port.

So you know where you can stick that unicorn horn now correct? I'll send ya a tube of K-Y...

oh boy, here we go:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/woodland-park-gun-range-site-of-recent-suicides-allows-visitors-to-shoot-without-permit-1.1629749

i can see sweeney foaming at the mouth already

dont worry though. the mayor is going to sit down and have a conversation about this. i'm certain he'll solve it

Ok, here is what I got with my trusty pencil.

82 hours a week x 19 ports x 363 days = 565,554 port hours a year!

That is assuming 1 person per port and 100% capacity. And as I said, they come in parties and rent stuff left and right. I've seen it. You figure with walk ins there are already 2 per port.

So you know where you can stick that unicorn horn now correct? I'll send ya a tube of K-Y...

They're only open for 58 hours a week, not 82. You're also multiplying weekly port-hours by 363 days instead of 52 weeks. Oy.

58x52x19 = 57,304 port-hours/yr. You're only off by a factor of ten. You're qualified to be state comptroller. 

1.2 million/4 = 300,000 customers/yr. That's six shooters per booth. No farting allowed!

I hope you your unicorn. I hear they're awfully horny

PS the news reported that GFH has only been around for 3 years, so it's 1.2 million/3 = 400,000 customers per year.

oh boy, here we go:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/woodland-park-gun-range-site-of-recent-suicides-allows-visitors-to-shoot-without-permit-1.1629749

dont worry though. the mayor is going to sit down and have a conversation about this. i'm certain he'll solve it

Interesting. So a range can survive without rentals. I wonder if the "everybody rents" posters got their info from the same source that said GFH gets 400,000 customers per year.

Ever Nappin' correctly notes that you can't ban rope, another popular suicide tool. Would be interesting to see though how many people kill themselves at rope stores or other comparably trafficked businesses, say a large shoe outlet. Another point to consider is whether it's advisable to let a complete novice rent a .45 and shoot unsupervised. I would not. Nor would I want to shoot on the same line as such a person. 

I'm not suggesting that ID-only rentals should be illegal, but it creates risk that I personally want no part of.

You know, you are an egotistical arrogant fook which makes it hard for people to listen to you. You are also a condescending prick.

I really try to pay attention to what you are saying, but the minute the snide remarks start to flow or name calling, I just elevate you to the shit-bag level.
Lets put it this way. Your company could have the best product out there that I might want, but me being a rebel against everything you seem to be, I will cut off my nose to spite my face and buy something else just out of principle...

So rather than you be a prick most of the time, try acting like a teacher and not a basher of everything people say. Discussion doesn't include your mind set with that attitude.
I sure don't appreciate your bullshit as I'm sure others do either and I'm at the point of adding you to the ignore list. You can reciprocate by adding me to yours.

Interesting. So a range can survive without rentals. I wonder if the "everybody rents" posters got their info from the same source that said GFH gets 400,000 customers per year.

Ever Nappin' correctly notes that you can't ban rope, another popular suicide tool. Would be interesting to see though how many people kill themselves at rope stores or other comparably trafficked businesses, say a large shoe outlet. Another point to consider is whether it's advisable to let a complete novice rent a .45 and shoot unsupervised. I would not. Nor would I want to shoot on the same line as such a person. 

I'm not suggesting that ID-only rentals should be illegal, but it creates risk that I personally want no part of.

• Like 1

The hours add up to 82...

M 12-9. Tue 10-9 wed 10-10 thur 10-10 fri 10-10 sat 8-10 sun 8-8

Nick, somebody already crunched the numbers and illustrated some of the possible, or should I say impossible, scenarios. I wonder who   :)

FYI they're open 58 hours/week and have 19 ports. But don't worry the guy who supplied the 1.2 million figure was "privy" to special information that nobody else has. And I mean nobody. He also owns a unicorn farm in Wantage.

oh boy, here we go:

What a crock of shit. So there are 7 suicides at ranges in a 3 year period. In that same time period there were ~2400 suicides not at gun ranges.

We need to solve the bridge issue. The rope issue. The building issue. The pill issue. And so on.

What dopes fail to realize, is that some one set on killing themselves will find a way. And there is absolutely nothing that will stop that fact.

Better talk with your boss. He confirmed it when I asked him....

Bhunted's number is one zero too many. Over120k unique visitors. Which does not include repeat visitors.

You know, you are an egotistical arrogant fook which makes it hard for people to listen to you. You are also a condescending prick.

I really try to pay attention to what you are saying, but the minute the snide remarks start to flow or name calling, I just elevate you to the shit-bag level.

Lets put it this way. Your company could have the best product out there that I might want, but me being a rebel against everything you seem to be, I will cut off my nose to spite my face and buy something else just out of principle...

So rather than you be a prick most of the time, try acting like a teacher and not a basher of everything people say. Discussion doesn't include your mind set with that attitude.

I sure don't appreciate your bullshit as I'm sure others do either and I'm at the point of adding you to the ignore list. You can reciprocate by adding me to yours.

I understand what you're saying but you picked one of my most unsarcastic posts. Did you read the article that the previous poster cited? They quoted a range owner who did not rent guns, and Nappin'.  

Hey I know my limitations. I'm the only person here who apologizes, and the only one who admits he doesn't know much about guns. Believe me, nobody here listens to me. I write these posts for myself, as practice (I'm a writer), not to convince anybody of anything.

• Like 1

oh boy, here we go:

i can see sweeney getting a huge boner already

Fixed for you

I understand what you're saying but you picked one of my most unsarcastic posts. Did you read the article that the previous poster cited? They quoted a range owner who did not rent guns, and Nappin'.

Hey I know my limitations. I'm the only person here who apologizes, and the only one who admits he doesn't know much about guns. Believe me, nobody here listens to me. I write these posts for myself, as practice (I'm a writer), not to convince anybody of anything.

Well I may not listen to you but I read your posts and derive my own conclusions. But there are no reasons to be a shithead. While you might think they are for yourself, then you're blind to your own rants. Regardless what you write, people read it. If its not meant for us, save them for your memoirs and sell a book. Maybe I'd even buy it to see what's in your demented mind. But pushing the way you do just pisses people off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I may not listen to you but I read your posts and derive my own conclusions. But there are no reasons to be a shithead. While you might think they are for yourself, then you're blind to your own rants. Regardless what you write, people read it. If its not meant for us, save them for your memoirs and sell a book. Maybe I'd even buy it to see what's in your demented mind. But pushing the way you do just pisses people off.

Still don't know what set you off but whatever. I've been posting a lot about GFH's 400,000 imaginary customers per year and their alleged rental habits. I didn't realize explaining numbers could be controversial. 

Put me on ignore as I'm sure several (many?) have already done.

But I'm a paying member, which reminds me it's been a while since I've donated. I will write about what I like and in my own style until I'm kicked off for good, whether anyone reads my posts or not.

I'd like to think I've pointed out several "inconsistencies" (charitable word) and some of the false prophets -- not sure that's the best word; maybe  "phonies" is more appropriate -- who dominate NJ gun culture. Our dilemma as gun owners in this state is, in my opinion, exacerbated by the myriad fairy tales we want desperately to believe. It's a long list.

If you wish to keep believing in sure-to-be-broken promises and never have anyone say anything disagreeable you know what to do. 

• Like 1

oh boy, here we go:

How about train deaths?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/08/deaths_on_nj_train_tracks_increase_since_state_launched_safety_initiative.html

362474dda8fa8872fc1c8b846652f83f.png

https://gyazo.com/362474dda8fa8872fc1c8b846652f83f

A 25 year old renter. I have no prob with suicide. Your choice. But stop dragging others into it. Go fly off a fooking bridge or something. They got to ruin other lives while they are at it just pisses me off.

Thanks for the suggestion.  My sister threw herself in front of an Amtrak train in Hamilton.  I scraped up her entrails.  I hope she didn't inconvenience too many commuters  Not too many tall bridges nearby.

I think we all realize the media and left don't give a rat's ass about suicide by any means other than a firearm, and then it's an indictment against the firearm itself

Yes anti-gunners will latch onto this but some aspects are worthy of sensible discussion.

Suicides and criminals who use guns are 100% responsible for their acts. Not the gun, not the range, not anybody else. However, it's undeniable that without rentals the barrier to acquiring a gun through the system is significant for all but the criminal element. Thousands of posts in these forums attest to the difficulty in obtaining NJ credentials. Everybody and his uncle has a driver's license, including schizophrenics and violent ex-offenders.

Two minutes, two weeks, two months can make all the difference for individuals with mental issues. They can get better, change their mind, get treatment, etc. Delays in obtaining a gun wouldn't prevent all suicides, but on-the-spot rentals surely facilitate at least some of them. Is preventing them worth denying the seven million Korean teenagers who visit indoor ranges in NJ? I don't know I'm not a philosopher.

That being said rentals are legal and should remain so. The range owner interviewed in the previously cited article seems to get by without rentals -- suggesting that a range can be profitable without off-the-street new shooters. But that's none of my f-ing business.

We take risks every time we visit a range where other shooters are present. The proximity to other shooters, the uncertainty in their skill level and supervision, the noise, the expense and the wait make indoor venues unattractive to me. But that's just me. 

The guy who spoke at my CR orientation stated that no "angels" were created there during the range's entire 75 year history. Call me a pussy if you like. I'm satisfied with that. Very satisfied.

Thanks for the suggestion. My sister threw herself in front of an Amtrak train in Hamilton. I scraped up her entrails. I hope she didn't inconvenience too many commuters Not too many tall bridges nearby.

What can I tell ya. My uncle did it with a shotgun to the chest. Don't make this personal.But some of us have been there.

I'm not about to deviate from the original post any longer. But feel free to carry on. I'm not getting dragged into this bullshit any more.

Fooking arm chair warriors turned this thread into another disaster.

Cheers!

• Like 1