Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

What are y'all cooking tomorrow?

Mrs. DT said I had to smoke a rack of pork ribs tomorrow, so I rubbed these up and stuck them in the refrigerator. 

They'll soak up that dry rub tonight, and be ready for smoke tomorrow. I'll smoke these over hickory for an hour or so, then wrap them in foil and let them get nice and tender, until they fall off the bone. 

What are y'all cooking tomorrow?

IMG_8727.JPG

• Like 1

I have three racks of baby backs on the smoker today.  Following the BRITA recipe  (Best Ribs In The Universe, the recipe actually won a competition with that name). Almost ready for the sauce now, after 5 hours of smoke. 

I just read that recipe, and I may try it next time.

The dry rub is very similar to mine, I don't add cumin or chili powder to my rub. I personally don't like too much smoke on ribs, I think it's easy to overpower the meat flavor with too much smoke. That's just my personal preference. 

I do an hour, maybe 2 at the most on smoke, the  wrap in foil with a spritz of apple juice. I'll open it up every hour and spritz it again with the apple juice until the meat pulls away from the bone. 

I serve sauce on the side with all my BBQ. Another personal preference. I used to make my own sauce, but my wife really likes Sweet Baby Rays. In deference to her, that's what I serve. 

Enjoy your ribs!! I am quite sure they will be tasty!

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I personally don't like too much smoke on ribs, I think it's easy to overpower the meat flavor with too much smoke. That's just my personal preference. 

I hear you.  While the BRITA recipe calls for cherry and oak smoke, I used pecan and apple--the mildest woods I have in inventory.   I add a half-fist sized chunk of each at the start, and no more for the duration, so they don't end up too smoky.  

It's the simplest rib recipe I've run across.   No prep the night before, put the rub on in the morning, no basting or saucing while in the smoker, and the sauce applied when they come out is simply 5:1 KC Masterpiece:honey.

Mummmm keep it up guys I recently got a small smoker/grill combo. Well now I'm hooked and realize that what I got is crap, good for a grill bit not a smoker. Going to keep my eyes out for a good sale on a weber smokey mountain. I'd love a BGE but can't afford one anytime soon. 

I'm definitely an amateur and can use all that pointers, tips and recipes I can get 

11 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I just read that recipe, and I may try it next time.

The dry rub is very similar to mine, I don't add cumin or chili powder to my rub. I personally don't like too much smoke on ribs, I think it's easy to overpower the meat flavor with too much smoke. That's just my personal preference. 

I do an hour, maybe 2 at the most on smoke, the  wrap in foil with a spritz of apple juice. I'll open it up every hour and spritz it again with the apple juice until the meat pulls away from the bone. 

I serve sauce on the side with all my BBQ. Another personal preference. I used to make my own sauce, but my wife really likes Sweet Baby Rays. In deference to her, that's what I serve. 

Enjoy your ribs!! I am quite sure they will be tasty!

Cumin adds a great flavor that can't be replicated with other spices.   How heavily smoked can be controlled by the wood used to minimize the flavor but still give a nice ring. 

My apple juice was is a blend of apple juice, brown sugar and home made barbecue sauce.  If I don't have time to make the barbecue sauce I'll use baby rays.  It accomplishes the same thing but gives a bit of bark texture while preserving moisture. 

Im  smoking a brisket today that will hopefully be done by 12 so I can rest it and make burnt ends. 

I love the flavor of cumin, but not on BBQ. To me, cumin belongs in Mexician dishes, and chili. Personal preference....

Brisket is my favorite (hell, I'm a Texan...that's what we DO!!). Ive always smoked brisket over mesquite. After it's done, I wrap it tightly in foil, then put it in an empty ice chest for a couple of hours, allowing it to rest.  Find that it retains more moisture that way. Some guys I know use foil and am old towel to the same effect. 

I'll cut SBR's (Sweet Baby Rays) with a little apple cider to give it some more tang and thin it out. I like it that way, but your mileage may vary. 

I like brisket sliced, personally. A little sauce, a couple of pickle slices, and some white bread, and you got yourself a damn fine sandwich. 

I like to save a bit of chopped brisket and put it in my chili. One of my friends mixes  smoked, chopped brisket in with ground beef, and makes hamburger patties. Holy hell, that's a good burger...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Mummmm keep it up guys I recently got a small smoker/grill combo. Well now I'm hooked and realize that what I got is crap, good for a grill bit not a smoker. Going to keep my eyes out for a good sale on a weber smokey mountain. I'd love a BGE but can't afford one anytime soon. 

I'm definitely an amateur and can use all that pointers, tips and recipes I can get 

Fish, get yourself a Pit Barrel Cooker. About $300 on Amazon. Trust me, that little gem is awesome. A friend has one, and I got to try it out last fall, and I love it. Beats the hell out of a WSM.

I too like the BGE, its more versatile than the Pit Barrel Cooker, but 5x the price.

Mrs DT told me she's ordering the PBC for me as a 'thank you' for helping her with her jewelry business. I can't wait to get busy with it!

• Like 1

I love the flavor of cumin, but not on BBQ. To me, cumin belongs in Mexician dishes, and chili. Personal preference....

Brisket is my favorite (hell, I'm a Texan...that's what we DO!!). Ive always smoked brisket over mesquite. After it's done, I wrap it tightly in foil, then put it in an empty ice chest for a couple of hours, allowing it to rest.  Find that it retains more moisture that way. Some guys I know use foil and am old towel to the same effect. 

I'll cut SBR's (Sweet Baby Rays) with a little apple cider to give it some more tang and thin it out. I like it that way, but your mileage may vary. 

I like brisket sliced, personally. A little sauce, a couple of pickle slices, and some white bread, and you got yourself a damn fine sandwich. 

I like to save a bit of chopped brisket and put it in my chili. One of my friends mixes  smoked, chopped brisket in with ground beef, and makes hamburger patties. Holy hell, that's a good burger...

I rest it in foil wrapped in a towel in an ice chest.  Nothing like brisket IMHO. 

I wish I could save the ends for For chili but I can't muster the will power not to eat them.  

I may do some brisket sliders though. 

Fish, get yourself a Pit Barrel Cooker. About $300 on Amazon. Trust me, that little gem is awesome. A friend has one, and I got to try it out last fall, and I love it. Beats the hell out of a WSM.

I too like the BGE, its more versatile than the Pit Barrel Cooker, but 5x the price.

All good recommendations, as all have a strong following.   But don't rule out the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker--they also have a huge fan base; I'm very happy with mine.   I've got the mid-size, 18.5" diameter, as it will just fit a small turkey, and it's a great size for ribs, brisket, etc.

Whatever you get, add a good digital thermometer with meat and smoker interior probes, and a remote readout (and, ideally, a temperature alarm function, so you can nap during those really long smoking sessions).   I ended up with this one, which I really like:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTZ17QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

33 minutes ago, 10X said:

All good recommendations, as all have a strong following.   But don't rule out the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker--they also have a huge fan base; I'm very happy with mine.   I've got the mid-size, 18.5" diameter, as it will just fit a small turkey, and it's a great size for ribs, brisket, etc.

Whatever you get, add a good digital thermometer with meat and smoker interior probes, and a remote readout (and, ideally, a temperature alarm function, so you can nap during those really long smoking sessions).   I ended up with this one, which I really like:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTZ17QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

My thermometer came Saturday don't remember the brand off the top of my head. It has good reviews and all the features you listed. 

I'm sure your not shocked that the thermometer on the grill/smoker reads 65 degrees cooler than it actually is.

27 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I'm a BGE fan.  

Me to, my cousin has one and it's great.........but if I spend that much on a smoker ill have to live in it according to my wife. 

44 minutes ago, 10X said:

don't rule out the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker--they also have a huge fan base; I'm very happy with mine.   I've got the mid-size, 18.5" diameter, as it will just fit a small turkey, and it's a great size for ribs, brisket, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WSM. I just  like the PBC just a little bit better. I think better temperature control. 

Youre absolutely correct about a digital thermometer. A MUST have!! Alarm is good for when you sample too much bourbon when you BBQ. Helps you avoid a disaster!!

51 minutes ago, fishnut said:

My thermometer came Saturday don't remember the brand off the top of my head. It has good reviews and all the features you listed. 

I'm sure your not shocked that the thermometer on the grill/smoker reads 65 degrees cooler than it actually is.

Me to, my cousin has one and it's great.........but if I spend that much on a smoker ill have to live in it according to my wife. 

That's funny. 

54 minutes ago, fishnut said:

.........but if I spend that much on a smoker ill have to live in it according to my wife. 

Your wife may come to see it differently...

My wife gave me the smoker for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago.   Now, every time I use it--every time without exception--when we sit down to eat she tells me that giving me that smoker was the best idea she ever had.  Great eats, and she's off the hook for cooking and cleanup on smoker days.

Oh--and keep a notebook with the details of everything you cook.   It's very helpful to be able to go back and see how much charcoal was used, how much and what type of smoke wood was used, when more was added, temperatures, times, how the meat was prepared before and during smoking, etc etc.    It's more complicated than slapping a steak on the grill.

But oh, so worth it. 

• Like 2

I'd love to have a BGE. Maybe in our 'forever home', when we move out of NJ. 

A PBC will do nicely until then.

My ribs are off the smoke, and tucked into aluminum foil, with a nice spritz of apple juice. They will be falling off the bone soon.

3 hours ago, 10X said:

Your wife may come to see it differently...

My wife gave me the smoker for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago.   Now, every time I use it--every time without exception--when we sit down to eat she tells me that giving me that smoker was the best idea she ever had.  Great eats, and she's off the hook for cooking and cleanup on smoker days.

Oh--and keep a notebook with the details of everything you cook.   It's very helpful to be able to go back and see how much charcoal was used, how much and what type of smoke wood was used, when more was added, temperatures, times, how the meat was prepared before and during smoking, etc etc.    It's more complicated than slapping a steak on the grill.

But oh, so worth it. 

My wife is always off the hook for cooking unless I want to eat TV dinners and hamburger helper all the time, so she has to clean up after me. She is becoming a big fan of smoked meat though. I smoked a Boston butt, wanted to pull it but it wasn't tender enough for that so I sliced it and it was still great. Made pork fried rice the next day with the leftovers and that was epic! Once I learn a little more she might want to spend a little more on a smoker but not BGE prices, I know you get what you pay for but damn. A decent size one costs the same as a truck load of diapers and with a 98 year old and a 1 year old in the house we go through allot of diapers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

My wife is always off the hook for cooking unless I want to eat TV dinners and hamburger helper all the time, so she has to clean up after me. She is becoming a big fan of smoked meat though. I smoked a Boston butt, wanted to pull it but it wasn't tender enough for that so I sliced it and it was still great. Made pork fried rice the next day with the leftovers and that was epic! Once I learn a little more she might want to spend a little more on a smoker but not BGE prices, I know you get what you pay for but damn. A decent size one costs the same as a truck load of diapers and with a 98 year old and a 1 year old in the house we go through allot of diapers. 

Never ate another steak till we got the grill. Pan, water? Wtf!

Now she's particular, done, jus right.

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Never ate another steak till we got the grill. Pan, water? Wtf!

Now she's particular, done, jus right.

Mine was almost a vegetarian when we met. Just chicken on occasion. After 12 years of baby steps she is a big fan of beef and is ok with pork. Now I just gota get her to eat fish and wild game and I'll be set. 

I'd rather do the cooking in my household. That way my wife cleans up. I'm pretty neat in the kitchen, clean up as I go. Mrs. DT doesn't...looks like a MOAB went off in the kitchen when she is done. Holy hell!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I'd rather do the cooking in my household. That way my wife cleans up. I'm pretty neat in the kitchen, clean up as I go. Mrs. DT doesn't...looks like a MOAB went off in the kitchen when she is done. Holy hell!!

It's called training bro. They musta got the same memo, or read the same article or sumtin. Or the universe is against us

Aspiring Pitmaster here... I use a WSM 18.5".  I would love a BGE or other rig, but plenty of competition has been won by a WSM and I got mine from Cabela's using various points, coupons, etc.

There's a whole site dedicated to the WSM with a hardcore following:  http://virtualweberbullet.com/

I buy my smoke wood from a place in Elizabeth here: http://bbqsmokingwood.com/

If anyone has a better source in NNJ, I would love to know...  I stick with fruit wood.  Hickory and/or Mesquite can just overpower the flavor.

I use the "M1A1" dry rub and brine recipes from subguns.com.  I will eventually try to develop my own "Chili P" signature recipes, but these work well for me now.

Another good site for inspiration: http://amazingribs.com/

M1A1 Dry Rub

As stated previously, I've since refined with the addition of paprika. 
Also, one should consider this an overnight rub, particularly if it's going on the smoke. Unless your heat is going to get over about 220° F to carmelize the sugars, the bark (if there even is one) will be harsh. If you're doing it the same day, be sure and minimize the remaining dry rub before putting it to the heat.
M1A1 Dry Rub 
1/2 cup brown sugar packed 
3 tbs salt 
1 tbs chili powder 
1 tsp black pepper 
1 tsp cayenne 
1 tsp paprika 
1 tsp crushed thyme 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp garlic powder 
The term 'dry rub' is somewhat misleading, as I primarily use this as a 'dry marinade'. 'Dry Marinade' is also somewhat misleading, as a marinade is a liquid. The point is that the proper use of a dry rub is to coat the meat entirely and let it sit refrigerated overnight in a bag, take the meat out to room temp the next day and then grill OR smoke. Since this recipe is relatively high in sugar content to what is commercially sold as 'dry rub'- salt- you should use it right.

If you are grilling, your grill should be well over 220° F. The term 'grill' intones that you are going to sear some By God Grill Marks on that murdermeat so get that prick up there white hot- that'll sear it proper and cook the rub in. If your grill is cold the rub won't cook and the flavors can remain bitter, and you'll cook every entire inch of that poor cow until everyone just laughs at you.

If you are smoking, your smoker temp should be between 200-220° F.

If you are using it as an overnight marinade, let it sit on the counter on a grill over a dish until the outside temp is ambient. If you are grilling candyass steaks less than an inch thick, you might want to scrape some of the syrup off at this point or, probably better, just sprinkle it on and gently rub then remove overage a couple few hours before grilling.

I rarely answer questions with a yes or no. 

M1A1 Brine

1 gallon warm water 
3/4 cup kosher salt 
2/3 cup sugar 
3/4 cup soy sauce 
1/4 cup olive oil
Since you're gonna be throwing the meat to it, you want to make sure the temp is below 40°f before you drop your meat. So in order to do that, put 2 hot cups of water in a sauce pan and pour in the remaining ingredients. Whisk over medium heat until the ingredients are dissolved then immediately remove from heat. Keep whisking, and pour in a bunch of ice cubes to keep cooling it. You should transfer it to the container that you can measure 1 gallon in now. Add ice cubes until they stop melting. Bring it up to 1 gallon total, then drop your meat. I brine whole chickens up to about 8 hours, bone-in chicken bits like quarters or legs are good for about 4 hours, boneless chicken breasts should be 2 I'd guess (haven't done them yet). 
The only red meat I did was a few racks of baby back pork ribs and I left them in about 8 hours before a light rinse and then a dry rub for about 2 hours, then 6 hours on the smoke. They were fucking insane- not quite fall off the bone tender like my momma's Dr. Pepper slow cooker ribs but not caveman gnawing the bone either, there was just enough hardness and texture. 
Beyond that you're on your own, hossgnat. 

• Like 1