Bully

Electrical Engineers/VFD Gurus-I Need Help

I have a Harrison M300. Westinghouse/TECO FM50 203-c 1ph to 3ph. 

I had an electrician that has experience wiring up VFD's come today and wire mine up. The VFD is getting power. I have it set at 60hz. Everything turns on and hums except the lathe. 

Panel---surge protector---VFD---outlet

When I turn everything on the lathe on and engage the "spindle control lever" the spindle/chuck jogs about a half inch and then... nada. 
No error codes. The meter on the front dips to 59hz and that's about it. 
Any ideas?

Pics in the next post are to show basically how it was wired and equipment used.  

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

13 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Phases of the motor wired correctly?

I ran everything at the original owners home.  Worked flawlessly.  

In my bit of research it looks like what I originally wanted to do (use the VFD to convert to 3ph and keep the switches as they are) isn't entirely possible.  It looks like I will need to wire all the switches through the VFD.  Which sucks for me as when I look at a schematic it looks like a nefarious bowl of evil spaghetti that wants to kill me. 

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Dead spot in armature. Hand spin then power.

You know what I mean, like model t

Been there.  Doesn't work.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bully said:

In my bit of research it looks like what I originally wanted to do (use the VFD to convert to 3ph and keep the switches as they are) isn't entirely possible.  It looks like I will need to wire all the switches through the VFD.  Which sucks for me as when I look at a schematic it looks like a nefarious bowl of evil spaghetti that wants to kill me. 

Topher, you're in good hands with Tex.

1 - are you sure you hooked everything up correctly?

2 - are you sure the phase converter is working correctly?

3 - are you sure the phase converter is up to the job?  A motor draws about 3x the run current at start-up

The schematic you have is tough to read on a computer, and I'm not going to try and read all that sideways text.  

You aren't getting too many responses because this is a pretty in-depth problem; requiring time, research, and an understanding of what you're trying to do....

W2MC

BSEE a long time ago

28 minutes ago, W2MC said:

1 - are you sure you hooked everything up correctly?

2 - are you sure the phase converter is working correctly?

3 - are you sure the phase converter is up to the job?  A motor draws about 3x the run current at start-up

The schematic you have is tough to read on a computer, and I'm not going to try and read all that sideways text.  

You aren't getting too many responses because this is a pretty in-depth problem; requiring time, research, and an understanding of what you're trying to do....

W2MC

BSEE a long time ago

Everything that's supposed to be getting power is at the correct voltage.  

No

Yes...  At least according to the research I did.  Hoping I didn't screw the pooch on that.  

I understand you not wanting to try it sideways.  I wouldn't either.  I am lucky enough to have some friends that may be able to step in and give me a hand with wiring all the switches.  Just can't be in a rush, which I'm not.  

14 hours ago, Bully said:

Bully- this would be my guess as well.  I took a quick look at the diagram, and I admit I need to look at it closer and blow it up so my old eyes can see it better.  But from what I can see, it will not work with a single phase input.  

If you have a .pdf technical document you could post or if I get a chance I will look for one on line, that should tell us definitively.