Yuck

"Custom" AR Legality?

I'm new to the forum, and soon to be new to NJ when I move in a couple months.  I own a few AR-style rifles, one of which was bought as a complete rifle and the others which were built on completed lower receivers (not 80%).  My plan at the moment is to remove enough of the so-called evil features that it passes muster by NJ law.  I'm thinking that I will keep the pistol grip as my 1 feature, and then swap the stock for a fixed version and replace my flash hiders with muzzle brakes that are pinned to the barrel.

My first question is - is it legal to "build" AR rifles in NJ?  By this I mean assembling them from parts on a lower receiver that has a serial number.

Can I modify my CORE 15 rifle so it's compliant, or is there some weird law where the rifle from the manufacturer had/has "assault weapon" features and therefore can never be made compliant?

Thanks for any help.  Despite the firearms nonsense I'm looking forward to my move to NJ.

2 minutes ago, Yuck said:

I'm new to the forum, and soon to be new to NJ when I move in a couple months.  I own a few AR-style rifles, one of which was bought as a complete rifle and the others which were built on completed lower receivers (not 80%).  My plan at the moment is to remove enough of the so-called evil features that it passes muster by NJ law.  I'm thinking that I will keep the pistol grip as my 1 feature, and then swap the stock for a fixed version and replace my flash hiders with muzzle brakes that are pinned to the barrel.

My first question is - is it legal to "build" AR rifles in NJ?  By this I mean assembling them from parts on a lower receiver that has a serial number.

Can I modify my CORE 15 rifle so it's compliant, or is there some weird law where the rifle from the manufacturer had/has "assault weapon" features and therefore can never be made compliant?

Thanks for any help.  Despite the firearms nonsense I'm looking forward to my move to NJ.

Got an upper coming. And lower at ffl. Only hang up is get the upper compliant before the obtaining the lower. Can't technically be in the same room with it non compliant. 80% are legal to own but not to make 100% here. You have to sleep at a holiday inn in another state and do the work there.

sumbody smerter can chime about CORE I don't believe it's banned by name.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

sumbody smerter can chime about CORE I don't believe it's banned by name.

Thanks Zeke.  On the topic of banned by name, is my PS90 good with 10-round magazines?  As far as I can tell the only feature it has is the flash hider.  The stock is not collapsible and there is no pistol grip, bayo lug, etc.

2 hours ago, Yuck said:

Thanks Zeke.  On the topic of banned by name, is my PS90 good with 10-round magazines?  As far as I can tell the only feature it has is the flash hider.  The stock is not collapsible and there is no pistol grip, bayo lug, etc.

The PS90 is NJ legal as far as I know since the flash hider is the one feature since it doesn't have a pistol grip. So, as long as you've got a mag that's permanently blocked to 15 rounds, you're good to go I've seen them for sale in a number of stores 

The PS90 is legal and you can build all the ARs you want.  The lower is the rifle so as Zeke said, you can't manufacture a lower or complete an 80% here since the PRNJ considers that manufacturing.

Regarding your collapsible stock, you don't need to replace it with a fixed stock. You just need to pin it so that it can't move.

I believe The only AR banned by name is the Colt AR-15. If the receiver says that. it is banned, period. All the others like AM-15 and CORE-15 are GTG. Just don't exceed the evil feature limit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I believe The only AR banned by name is the Colt AR-15. If the receiver says that. it is banned, period. All the others like AM-15 and CORE-15 are GTG. Just don't exceed the evil feature limit.

Why is that about Colt?

19 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The PS90 is legal and you can build all the ARs you want.  The lower is the rifle so as Zeke said, you can't manufacture a lower or complete an 80% here since the PRNJ considers that manufacturing.

Regarding your collapsible stock, you don't need to replace it with a fixed stock. You just need to pin it so that it can't move.

"Bushmaster"?

24 minutes ago, BobA said:

Why is that about Colt?

They picked certain guns that fit the description of what they wanted to ban. The picked the AR-15, (Colt Patent) and AK-47  along with many others and banned them by name and/or model. The law also bans all "substantially identical" guns, but never defined the term "substantially identical" too well, so you can own an exact copy of an AR-15. It just can't have Colt AR-15 on the lower.

You can own an AR lower wit ha model number AR-15 as long as it is

not a COLT lower / rifle.

The reason the COLT AR-15 was banned by name was at the time that particular 

lower was able to be converted to Full Auto with little work involved, hence the ban

on the Colts...........

Bushmasters (except the Bushmaster Assault rifle) are legal as well - as long as the evil feature rule

is followed.........

• Like 1