njarider

Brick Armory in Lakewood

Was there today as well. The best public facility I have been to in NJ. Spoke with Bob and John there. Very awesome guys there. I have left my contact info there and will be getting a full writeup on their shop and range here soon. Awaiting some photos and contact info.

The range was being used, but not stuffed. Great ventilation. range can potentially be used for 50 BMG as well, built quite well. Range hours are long! shoot almost any time. Rental rates are very very good.

I've been to BA a few times when they were building out the new space, and I even went with someone who bought a few guns from there and everyone was great.

That being said, I didn't feel comfortable in the range area. There was no range officer working, and people were loading guns outside of booths. I saw muzzles break the '180' more than once, and I'm not willing to shoot regularly in a place that seems unsupervised.

Prices seemed decent and competition is good, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying there.

I've been to BA a few times when they were building out the new space, and I even went with someone who bought a few guns from there and everyone was great.

That being said, I didn't feel comfortable in the range area. There was no range officer working, and people were loading guns outside of booths. I saw muzzles break the '180' more than once, and I'm not willing to shoot regularly in a place that seems unsupervised.

Prices seemed decent and competition is good, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying there.

John, that is a very very good point and I am glad you brought it up.

when I visited the range and met with the guys there, there was a range officer there. However, on the two occasions I shot there, including a few days ago, there was no range officer in there.

I will bring it up to the guys next time i am there. There are a few members here that frequent BA quite often and can offer a more in depth insight.

Every tme I have been there there has been an RSO and theyhave been on top of things. I have noticed that a few times he went out into the shop for a few. I have not witnessed anyone loading behind the line though. That would disturb me and I would say something to the person, politely of course.

Thimk about a NRA Basic Pistol course.

Don't know how they are run down in NJ, but we have a section at the end of the second day where over thirty or so handguns from 22 to 45ACP are offered to the students to try out. This is a great way to get the basics and a idea of what you would prefer in the way of a handgun.

I've been a member of the Brick Armory for the last few months and I have yet to see a problem within the range . I can only recall one time there wasn't a RO and I was the only shooter. I've never seen anyone loading behind the line and I would definitely say something if I did.

I can see BA being a forum meeting place. I keep wondering when I shoot if there is anyone from this forum there.

Next Wednesday I will be taking a person I work with so he can try some guns out. I warned him once he does this it will get in his blood.

Glad you had a good time.

I actually spoke with John and a few others about setting up an IDPA league there... they will talk to Milton to see what they can do. The biggest hurdle is what day? As they are open daily for members and open walk on daily until 10pm.

A few months ago I was speaking with Milton about a youth league/shoot. He said they have a lot of ideas but it will take some time to set up. They are/were also considering 24hr member access. I think there is an opportunity for BA to do big things.

John did the paperwork when I got my XD last march. Nice guy and he seemed real knowledgeable. New range was not finished at the time so I guess I have to stop by sometime and check it out. Man, if they had 24 hour access for members, they would have quite a draw. I think members can shoot indoors at Central Jersey anytime.

I have only shot at BA twice:

The first time i rented a gun with my father and was told there was a range officer in there. We entered and he was talked to someone else and just pointed at a lane for use. I loaded the magazine inserted it into the gun and stared at it. I was like i have watched tons of movies with guns and understand point and shoot but for some reason felt unsafe. So i released the magazine put down the gun and walked up to the RO and told him we rented the guns and didn't really know what we were doing. He came over and explained the gun to us and the rules and saftey features.

The second time i went, there was no RO at all and i was in there for almost 2hrs. I went with a guy i work with and we shot 400rds total between my G22 and his Sig 9mm. I will admit that we shared a lane so while he was shooting i did load my magazines on the rear tables as there was no signs saying not to as did he. While we would loaded our magazines we would leave our handguns in the lane.

? - Why is it unsafe or wrong to load no in the booth or lane?

I think BA needs to hire someone and get their website up and running as a legit site. With technology as it is today, it is much easier looking at a website instead of calling them up and listening to the press(4) to speak to gun help. IMHO

I've been to Brick on several occasions where the RO would actually give us pointers and a few drills to practice to increase accuracy and speed. I think one of there RO's is a retired State trooper. Like I said before I've never been there without a range officer.

The first time i rented a gun with my father and was told there was a range officer in there. We entered and he was talked to someone else and just pointed at a lane for use. I loaded the magazine inserted it into the gun and stared at it. I was like i have watched tons of movies with guns and understand point and shoot but for some reason felt unsafe. So i released the magazine put down the gun and walked up to the RO and told him we rented the guns and didn't really know what we were doing. He came over and explained the gun to us and the rules and saftey features.

The second time i went, there was no RO at all and i was in there for almost 2hrs. I went with a guy i work with and we shot 400rds total between my G22 and his Sig 9mm. I will admit that we shared a lane so while he was shooting i did load my magazines on the rear tables as there was no signs saying not to as did he. While we would loaded our magazines we would leave our handguns in the lane.

I think BA needs to hire someone and get their website up and running as a legit site. With technology as it is today, it is much easier looking at a website instead of calling them up and listening to the press(4) to speak to gun help. IMHO

Thanks for that feedback, will pass it along when I am there tonight. Perhaps they should take a better more proactive approach with shooters, esp if new.

As far as loading... it is not so much as loading a magazine on the back bench area, and holding the firearm in the lane... a few people love to load the mag in the bench area before even taking the firearm into the booths. At the same time, who says you dont have another firearm by the bench anyway?

Typically, if I bring more than one firearm... I keep them in a 4 gun case on the back bench, and take only one at a time to the booth. if I load a mag on the back bench area, even for the firearm in the lane.... to someone 2 lanes over... they see a firearms case and a mag being loaded... that is the issue.

Part of the reason you sometimes dont see a RSO there is that go there in the eve, and it is the same folks shooting or practicing for a weekend match.

Thanks for that feedback, will pass it along when I am there tonight. Perhaps they should take a better more proactive approach with shooters, esp if new.

As far as loading... it is not so much as loading a magazine on the back bench area, and holding the firearm in the lane... a few people love to load the mag in the bench area before even taking the firearm into the booths. At the same time, who says you dont have another firearm by the bench anyway?

Typically, if I bring more than one firearm... I keep them in a 4 gun case on the back bench, and take only one at a time to the booth. if I load a mag on the back bench area, even for the firearm in the lane.... to someone 2 lanes over... they see a firearms case and a mag being loaded... that is the issue.

Part of the reason you sometimes dont see a RSO there is that go there in the eve, and it is the same folks shooting or practicing for a weekend match.

Thanks for the reply about loading outside the lane.

I wouldn't set foot in that place if you paid me. Worst FFL dealer I ever ran across in 35 years in this hobby.

That's a pretty strong statement. Can you elaborate on your experience? I purchased an HK from a dealer in Texas and the BA was great about the transfer. They even held it for a few weeks and let me shoot it until my permit was finalized.

I have would recomend BA to everybody. They have a great new range, wayyyy better then that crappy one at sureshot and the people at BA are actully friendly and help you. Not to mention there new gun smith in the back is pretty damn close to the best in the world. Trust me and take my word on it. I was there last night as I am every wed night shooting about 6 of my arms that I just got and needed to sight in. Great place.

Go there all you want. I'm not stopping you.

I personally had three bad expierences there and won't go back. He has nothing I need. I belong to CJRPC so I don't need his range. I have all my firearms transfered through an FFL who charges me $25.00. I buy all my reloading supplies from Gene Saloman in Farmingdale.

Why anyone buys anything there is beyond me unless you enjoy paying his rent and paying retail.