EO1986

getting a permit to purchase a handgun

At some point, I'd like to buy a handgun. The only real thing thats stopped me till now is not wanting to go through the rectal examination I got when I went for my FID card. For those of you who've gotten pistol permits, how much of a hassle is getting one? Do I have to have references, get fingerprinted, etc again?

I don't know about you guys, but for me one of the most annoying parts about the whole NJ process is having to provide references. If any of you are like me, you have few or no friends who are interested in shooting, and asking permission to put their name on the application can be kind of an awkward experience (you want me to sign off so you can get a gun!?!? what on earth do you need a gun for??).

In addition, the cop who handled the paperwork at my local PD was incredibly rude to me, and acted like he was doing me the biggest favor in the world by even accepting my paperwork. The same police department acted like I was telling them a joke when I mentioned that NJ law requires the card to be issued within 30 days.... 6 months later, the FID finally showed up.

All in all a giant PITA, and one I'd like to avoid as much as possible in the future. I'm sure that's how they want it, too.

Never tell the person processing your paperwork how to do their job. Impressions and presentation is 1/2 of the battle. Be curteous and humble, it goes a long way. Yes you have to provide references again, but refingerprinting is not required. I happen to live in a good town as it only takes 2 weeks for my permits to come back. It is normally a good idea for anyone getting their initial FID card to also put in for pistol permits and when you put in for more permits put in for two at a time. Even if you do not use them you can extend them for another 90 days.

Good luck

Could not agree more. Even though it is a hassle, thank them for doing it. kill them with kindness.

As far as permits... I got my handgun permits with my FID, however just request 5. or as many as you think you may need, times 2.

Permits are good for 90 days, and then you can extend them for another 90. In NJ, you need a handgun permit even it is a C&R eligible item, such as the surpluss CZ82's coming to market for $200.

With each permit being $2... might as well get more. Think of it this way. Is $2 that you may lose by not using the permit over 180 days, half a year... worth the peace of mind of knowing you dont have to wait for more permits if a good deal comes up.

I would have ordered handgun permits at the time I got my FID, however I was under 21 at that time. I was exceedingly polite to him. It just annoys me that it takes 6 months for them to do something that, by law, should be done in under 30 days, and they know there is nothing anybody is going to do about it to make them go faster.

Once you have your SBI number, the process for getting the purchase permit is shorter. One of the holdups is that few departments deticate someone for permits and they are completed on a basis of when time is available.

eocoolj, you must live in Bayonne!!!!!!

That's exactly how they make me feel everytime I go in there. They try to discourage firearms sales and it works with some people. It took me 5 months to get my address changed on my permit card and they spelled my first name wrong? How can you spell Raymond wrong? They suck, but that's what I've got to deal with. My mom lives in NE Pennsy and it takes her half an hour to get a handgun, wow!

can non residents get their FID and pistol permits? I am eventually going to be living there, so I might as well get it out of the way asap.

If they don't allow it maybe I could push to get a bill introduced and get support for it by telling them "think of all the out of state people that will buy up all the guns and take them home?" :D hahahahahaha

Took me 99 days my first time recently. Filed on December 3, 2008 with the idea that I'd have my paperwork back in time to purchase my first gun for my birthday in January. NOT! March 13 (yes, Friday the 13th), I get the call at 10:15 pm - yes 10:15 pm that my FID and two pistol permits were ready to be picked. I hopped in the car and went to the PD to pick them up. Get there only to find out that my FID was good to go, but the Captain only signed one of my two pistol purchase permits. Had to go back like 2-3 days later to get the 2nd one...

Gotta love NJ...

I too am new to the sport of shooting and am also waiting for my FID and permit to purchase. As of this wednesday we will be at 10 weeks from the date my application was turned in. I too was very polite and curtious to the clerk at my local PD as she was with me as well. My only issue at this moment is that I was initially told it would take between 6-8 weeks to complete the process and as mentioned before I am going on my tenth week. Some people might say it is good that the powers to be take their time and do their jobs to the fullest extent and I would agree if that were the case. I too have seen were it is stated that the our government is to issue these permits within 30 days and I have not once heard of this taking place in this great state. It boggles my mind. Sorry for the rant....just a newbie that is already frustrated. Guess I will have to throw more money out the window on rental fees.

-Scott

My town appears to take around 30-40 days. They aren't holding up anything on purpose, and claim that any delay at all comes from the state domestic violence records search.

At $2 each for handgun purchase permits, I am just going to order 2 new ones every 90 days when they expire, and if I end up not using them I'm out $4. And I've learned never to order just one; at $2 more just order 2 at a time. Why not have one in the pocket anytime you're in the toy store?

On a related note, it's actually been close to 10 years since I got my FID card, and the same 10 years since I got my one handgun purchase permit. I've heard that every 5 years they take a new set of fingerprints when you go for new permits; can anyone confirm, or is that just the local custom?

=Melgamatic

last year i applied for 3 permits and it took 3 months, their was an new officer and he was not familiar with th process and appoligized for the wait and said next time it would be much quicker he has it figured out. use to take 2-3 weeks and i have not applied for another one yet to find out if he is up to date on his paper work.

On a related note, it's actually been close to 10 years since I got my FID card, and the same 10 years since I got my one handgun purchase permit. I've heard that every 5 years they take a new set of fingerprints when you go for new permits; can anyone confirm, or is that just the local custom?

=Melgamatic

I was under the impression that once you have your FID all the fingerprinting is done. The every 5 yr. thing may just be a local issue like you mentioned.

As fas as my permits go I called again today and now they are on the captains desk waiting to be signed...they told me should be only a week more. I cant wait!

-Scott

2 permits? But obama may take the guns away... Just get 10 permits for $20. :D

You never know.

Btw. make sure you take a friend with you with a camcorder to record the reaction of the PO taking your papers. Forcing them to make 10 copies on each permit. hehe.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if you have to submit sp-066 also for just a permit to purchase? Or is the sts-033 all you need?

Thanks,

Justin

I have been told all the paperwork is basically the same as when you first applied for your FID. The only things that change are no fingerprinting(some towns differ depending on time periods), and time frames.

-Scott