djg0770

considering reloading

Gents,

I'm considering reloading - partly because I'm a cheap B@$7ar9, and partly because I'm mechanically inclined and partly because I like to only depend on myself...

So, that said, I'm considering the following:

reloading handgun calibers

possibly reloading shotgun

no rifles to reload for (yet)

What's the minimum investment required? A press obviously, any opinions or is that like the Glock vs XD debate? What else?

Any make and model of presses will work. The difference is mainly in the speed of production. Many will recommend a Dillon system which is a great press but somewhat difficult to start out with if you are totally in the dark about the processes. RCBS, Lee and others make perfectly serviceable equipment. Starting with a simple C or O press available from those companies and learn. The press is still the best way to load rifle cartridges as the additional steps make the Dillon less useless.

The items needed to load on a single stage press are still needed for the progressive Dillon, Hornaady, etc. Right now the biggest hurdle is getting the components to reload. While there are many mail order sites, powder and primers require a hazmat charge of $20.00 added to the shipping bumping up the costs.

I'd suggest picking up one of the many manuals (which you will need anyway) and start reading. I use the Lyman (now 49th. edition).

for rifle i still use the single stage press but i only reload 30/06 rifle, I also use it for 41ae.

I use a dillion square deal press for handgun but if you are considering both i would purchase the dillion rl550b. if you are not in a hurry you may be able to look around and find some used equipment.

I use a mec jr 600 to reload shotgun and have purchased an adjustable powder and shot bar for it.

I think our resident reloaders have a full time job. =) Will have to defer to them, but would love to get a good discussion on this, in particular, what materials required vs nice to have, and the single stage vs progressive.... and why some people's benches have both. ;)

If you look on Midway USA you will find starter kits and prices. One question is do you want to do volume reloading or recreational reloading? Then, how much are you willing to spend? One will dictate the other to a degree.

I have Dillon SDb's and RCBS Roock Chucker's I am interested in getting a turret. On my SDB I can crank out an easy 300 rds/hr.

They are progressives and single stages. If I were to only have one press it would be a turret, as it would allow me the control for single stage rifle and speed up single stage pistol.

As a minimum you need..

A press

dies

powder measure

case cleaner

scale

caliper

case trimmer for rifles

a good reloading manual or three (never have too many)

primers brass powder bullets

I am not one for typing a book, but I am willing to help. Fell free to ask any questions or PM me and I will help you all I can .

dillion square deal press
\

While the Dillon Square Deal is a great piece of equipment, it has a few drawbacks. It uses Dillon's proprietary dies and they are available for handgun calibers only. If you are intent on going the progressive route, the 550 is the best starting point. But don't be swayed when some say it is the only was to go. A single stage is still a great way to start and continue. As I said earlier, you save little to nothing when loading rifle calibers. To load properly, at least for a gas gun, the cases need more prep. I trim after every firing. I go the addition step of not only cleaning the primer pocket, but uniforming the primer flash hole and using a tool made by Lyman uniforming the pocket depth itself. Then the case mouth is taken care of and the case is primed and stored. When I load field loads using ball powder I use the Dillon powder measure and progressive feature. Loading for the bolt gun is done one at a time measuring each powder charge. A single stage press would do those steps just fine.

Also be aware that each caliber change in a 550 and 650 is around $150.00 plus the cost of the dies themselves. It's nice to have the setup available to just slide in but it is costly.

forget used Dillon on places like EBay and such. the prices people pay is out of hand. It is close or equal to retail. No one sells Dillon any less than Dillon. Go to the source. A good backup to them is Brian Eno's site. He does have some nice package deals.

I have a single stage, but I think I will upgrade in a few years or so. When I do...I will NOT sell my press. It was my first : ) Also, I bought a kit for 100 bucks.....how much money could I possibly get for the thing? Not enough to compensate for the use Ill still get out of it, my buddy can be priming while im trimming etc...

I too am considering reloading and have been reading volumes of information as well as opinions from other shooters. djg you are correct when it comes to equipment it's a debatable subject "which is better" or "which one is right for me "and every reloader you talk to has an opinion. I found an interesting article about the progressives http://fatwhiteman.com/files/28524-2706 ... arison.pdf it may help answer questions on progressive presses for some of us. It still leaves the question of progressive vs single stage vs turret My desire to reload is for savings big calibers and magnum pricing is crazy also I would like to take the process of shooting full circle from creating the ammo, shooting , evaluating and starting the process all over.

Lavid2002 stated shotshell reloading isn't worth it I agree at this time it isn't. I have reloaded shotshells for many years except the last couple reloading used to be 1/2 the cost of buying, when the price of lead started rising, lead shot prices went out of control. A 25lb bag of shot was $12.99 now it's $35.99 so I stopped reloading and I have been buying from Dicks when they have sales on the Remington Gun Club (target). Last year I was buying several cases at a time when they had them on sale for $4.98/box (case quantities), I used discount coupons or dollar off coupons bringing the prices down to approx $4.49 and to top it off Remington had a rebate of $1.00 per box (limit 100 boxes). It's impossible to reload for $3.49/box.

I still have componets and do occasionally reload shotshells I use a Mec 600jr, and I always save my brass from the handguns. ;)

Geez, so much information in the few replies here that I don't know exactly where to start.

1) shotshells - I should have figured, I bought 250 shot shells for minimal coin

2) I have very very rarely sold any tool that I used frequently. The only one that comes to mind actually was a radial arm saw which I got my use out of and then donated. I've thrown out some tools due to them being utter crapola...

3) Books - off to the bookstore tonight

4) I may hold off the rifle stuff, sounds like a whole lotta work for little reward

5) NJ-Tom, pdf saved, will read later!

Not really. The ammo I hand load is as or more accurate that the surplus stuff available and save quite a bit. I use surplus powder and when available surplus bullets. Cost savings is worth the effort.Most shooters shoot much less rifle ammo than handgun.

Where the savings really add up is match ammo. A box of Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills Match in 308 or 223 can run $350.00 for 200 rounds. I can load ammo using the same Sierra Matchking bullet, a match primer and a factory first rate powder for $200. That is a big savings.

I disagree with ebay deals. I have got some really good deals there. You have to be patient and know what you are looking for. I won a SDB in 40 s&w for $200, ready to load on. RCBS Uniflows for $30. RCBS scals for $20. It takes time and patience.

The SDB is more expensive for dies. As I stated I think a good turret press is a worthwhile investment to start with. Even if you upgrade to a progressive, you will always have a need for the turret.

Get a good loadig manual and start reading. It will go a long way. Lyman #49 is a good read.

Ebay or any auction site is a crap shoot. So often you have to bide your time and hold back.

For instance, I've been looking for a trap bbl for my ithaca 37 (only had an 18" bbl) and they were all over $200, so when I saw a 30" for $140, I jumped on it.

Of course, this week, one started at $15 with no reserve :( I may just pick it up for the hell of it.

I started reloading on a Lee press. You can start reloading with about $150 of equip. Primers are still hard to find. Do get a manual or two. You will need them.

Reloading is another hobby in it self. I started reloading to save money. It doesn't work. You do shoot more.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

If reloading is for you, you will most likely move up to a progressive press.

Do check Ebay, but be careful. I have seen used presses and dies sell for more than new a Midsouth.

I reloaded for at least 10 years quite some time ago. I'm probably going to start again soon. I did very well with a Lee Challenger press which they still make today. Now they have a breech-lock version which allows you to change dies quickly. You really have to evaluate what the job at hand is going to be. If you'll be resizing full-length magnum rifle cases, you better have a press that is up to the job like a Lee Classic Cast Press. If you are just doing pistol cases you can do very well with the Challenger I mentioned above. I actually had an extra press mounted on the bench to speed things up with de-capping. I also use a hand priming tool which gives you great "Feel" when seating primers. My experience was with straight-walled pistol cases like .38, .357, and .44 so case trimming was not much of an issue. Now that I want to do .40, and .45, trimming is more of a critical step. Components are very expensive these days as I'm sure you all have noticed. Outdoor ranges like Range 14 are good placed to pick up free brass. Be careful however ! You wouldn't want to pick up 4X reloded ammo from someone else. You can usually ask the casual shooter who leaves his brass on the ground if it was new ammo. Better safe than sorry. Reloading in and of itself is a science. Follow the rules and it is very rewarding. Even with todays prices, you can start saving money right away. Especially if you can get the brass for free.

Safe Shooting !

Rock Chucker

As the new ones are made in China I can see the older ones becoming sought after. The RC is probably the best press available today and is responsible for the start of the reloading hobby.