BadBul

Buying in PA

After reading some of the post on this forum about how long it takes to get a FID card it looks like I'm about 60 to 90 days away from getting mine, but I have a ton of questions and might as well start banging them out...

Once I get my FID card and purchase permits would I be able to cross over to PA and purchase a firearm in person and bring it back over to Jersey?

Are gun shops in PA cheaper then Jersey shops or is it not worth the trip for only saving a couple of buxs?

a NJ resident can buy a shotgun or rifle from a PA dealer. You fill out the background check forms (PICS in PA) and a certificate of elegibility form...if its all good, you can take your rifle or shotgun home with you.....For a pistol, you have to have it transfered to a NJ FFL who will do the paperwork and all that stuff..You cannot take home a pistol from a PA dealer..it must be shipped to your NJ FFL. One good thing about buying long guns in PA, the charge for the background check is $5, where as its $15 in NJ. I think you can also save on the tax? Also the PA NICS system is open on Sunday. In NJ, its closed on Sundays.

If it is a rifle or shotgun that is Jersey legal, you should be able to take it with you.The handgun, yes, needs to go through a dealer.

You can go here: http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp, and look for an FFL near you. Each charges what they want for the transfer, usually between $25 - $50, plus $15 for the NICS plus sales tax on the total fees.

Hope that helps.

Only experience I have with shopping in PA., is I purchased Black Powder pistols and that was cash and carry, no paperwork at all.

You might want to think twice about posting a comment that would be a violation under NJ laws. As a NJ resident, it would not have been a legal transfer.

Thanks Mauser, I can understand that at a dealer in PA I would have to pay the NICS fee and I can also understand that the firearm has to be shipped to a NJ FFL and that the NJ FFL has to make something by charging $25.00 to $50.00 to stay in business, but what I can't understand is why pay the $15.00 again to the NJ FFL for the NICS check?

If you buy a long gun in PA. you pay the NICS check fee there. I think it's only $5.00.

You can legally bring it into NJ now with any futher paperwork or fee.

If you buy through the two FFL's I listed you would have to pay the $15.00 NICS check in NJ and the $20.00-$25.00 transfer fee.

Ok if one needed to pay the NICS check in PA $5.00

another NICS check in Jersey $15.00

NJ FFL dealer fee $25.00

Plus NJ state tax on the two fees above $3.15

So it would cost an extra $48.15 to get a gun in PA.

Are firearms really that much cheaper in PA then in Jersey to buy over there then here?

If it were to only cost a few bux more to buy in Jersey I would do so and build a relationship with a NJ dealer. But I'm not giving anyone an extra $150.00 of my hard earned money.

Buying longarms, is best bet there.

You just pay nics, they fill out certificate of eligibility which is posted in the nj laws forum. You are good.

Buying handguns, you need a handgun permit, so they have to ship it to a jersey ffl, who then runs your nics, $15, plus ffl transfer fee. So all in, yes, extra $50.

Ok if one needed to pay the NICS check in PA $5.00

another NICS check in Jersey $15.00 No Not necessary

NJ FFL dealer fee $25.00 No not necessary.

Plus NJ state tax on the two fees above $3.15 Again not necessary

So it would cost an extra $48.15 to get a gun in PA.

Are firearms really that much cheaper in PA then in Jersey to buy over there then here?

If it were to only cost a few bux more to buy in Jersey I would do so and build a relationship with a NJ dealer. But I'm not giving anyone an extra $150.00 of my hard earned money.

Keep in mind that PA gun shops sell long guns that may not be NJ legal, especially when you're looking at AR/AK type rifles. NJ has the list of "evil features" that aren't allowed on semi-automatic weapons. No bayonet lug, flash suppressor, threaded barrel, hi-cap mag, adjustable stock, there may be more.

Anyway, my point is that PA doesn't care about any of those items, and a gun shop will happily sell you a gun that will put you in jail here in the PRNJ.

Ken

Anyway, my point is that PA doesn't care about any of those items, and a gun shop will happily sell you a gun that will put you in jail here in the PRNJ.

The above is one problem you may have the other is some shops and online dealers that will refuse to sell a NJ resident and "Evil" rifle even if it is NJ compliant. Some just don't understand the laws and are too lazy to investigate. At the Matamoras gun show one dealer had 3 PTR-91's on display, 2 were NJ legal, 4 NJ residents (including myself) were interested in making a purchase, she told all of us to go away! She was worried about doing the wrong thing and losing her license. She refused to ask one of the other vendors.

Only experience I have with shopping in PA., is I purchased Black Powder pistols and that was cash and carry, no paperwork at all.

You might want to think twice about posting a comment that would be a violation under NJ laws. As a NJ resident, it would not have been a legal transfer.

Are you sure? I consulted a firearm's attorney and he said this was a legal transfer since it did not occur in NJ. NJ laws don't apply to you in PA. Also, since we do not have pistol registration in NJ, so as long as you have an FID card you are okay. However, my friend consulted another attorney that called this a legal grey area.

You can buy a long gun in PA. They will know what forms to fill out in your behalf, all you need is your New Jersey FOID and another picture ID. As for handguns, you can buy one in PA, and have the dealer transfer to a New Jersey FFL to complete the transfer/sale to you in New Jersey. Its really simple, all you need is money.

Are you sure? I consulted a firearm's attorney and he said this was a legal transfer since it did not occur in NJ. NJ laws don't apply to you in PA. Also, since we do not have pistol registration in NJ, so as long as you have an FID card you are okay. However, my friend consulted another attorney that called this a legal grey area.

I'd say the question is whether a black powder pistol counts as a handgun or not (and if not, what are they considered?). If so, you're a NJ resident buying a pistol out of state without a handgun purchase permit, which isn't legal.

I'd say the question is whether a black powder pistol counts as a handgun or not (and if not, what are they considered?). If so, you're a NJ resident buying a pistol out of state without a handgun purchase permit, which isn't legal.

This isn't statute, however it looks like the State Police consider a black powder handgun to be "a handgun":

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/faq.html#firearms

Q4: How do you buy handguns, including bb, pellet, and black powder handguns.

A4: A Permit to Purchase a Handgun must be completed on each handgun transferred in this state. It is the responsibility of the seller of the handgun to ascertain that the buyer has a valid Permit to Purchase a Handgun and one additional form of identification. The permit must be completed by the seller and buyer. It is the responsibility of the seller to forward the copies to the appropriate authority. Instructions are printed on the permit.

a NJ resident can buy a shotgun or rifle from a PA dealer. You fill out the background check forms (PICS in PA) and a certificate of elegibility form...if its all good, you can take your rifle or shotgun home with you.....For a pistol, you have to have it transfered to a NJ FFL who will do the paperwork and all that stuff..You cannot take home a pistol from a PA dealer..it must be shipped to your NJ FFL. One good thing about buying long guns in PA, the charge for the background check is $5, where as its $15 in NJ. I think you can also save on the tax? Also the PA NICS system is open on Sunday. In NJ, its closed on Sundays.

WHo does it for $5? Every place in PA I have bought from was $15 too.

WHo does it for $5? Every place in PA I have bought from was $15 too.

Just about every gun in PA was just $5 for the background check. This is at gun shows and shops. There is a $2 fee for the instant check and a $3 firearm sale surcharge to cover telephone costs. If they charged you $15 for the PICS (PA version of NICS), then they were overcharging you.

http://www.seda-cog.org/snyder/lib/snyder/sheriff/infofirearms.pdf

Scroll down to the second page , at the top of the 3rd column...Has it right there

Yes the Pa PICS is only $5.00. I know as I have purchased all my guns there. However, you will run into some guys at shows who will try and charge more as it has happened to me. Just stick to your guns and state that you know it is 5 bucks and refuse to pay more. they will not blow a sale over a couple bucks.