gunforhire

Your First Firearm

Firearm selection can be a daunting task. Make, model, caliber, double action, single action, double single, de-cocker, no de-cocker, safety, no safety, revolver, semi - auto, etc, etc, etc. Then we have everyones "opinions". While all of our opinions are not absolute. I would like to offer my opinion on first firearm selection. Most "men" want a big bore but in reality there is no better and more economical first firearm like a .22 caliber. No bad habits no massive recoil and dirt cheap ammo. The next question is revolver or semi-auto. While a revolver is "almost" goof proof and easier to handle for a beginner most people will opt for a semi. Find one that fits the hand comfortable and has a nice balance and practice, practice, practice. Once you become comfortable with you 22 then comes the decision on the all important second gun. While I can safely say most people will agree with me on a 22 for a first gun, here is now when we all part with our opinions and I will leave selection number 2 for a later post.

Be Safe

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Great post about selecting a first firearm. I agree 100% on a 22, easy to use prevents bad habits and economical. Many years ago I started with S&W 422, with current prices on ammo I find myself using 22's more than anything else. I look forward to reading your post about selection #2, for me it was a firearm that would give me some versatility I chose a Colt King Cobra 357. 38's for mild target shooting or 357 magnum loads for a bigger bang.

Long with practice practice practice. Dry fire dry fire dry fire. One it costs you nothing and it is building muscle memory for good habits. Dry fire at a target that has a mirror next to it. This way you can see if you are dropping or raising the barrel of the gun. You can check if you are pulling because you have too much or not enough finger in the trigger box. Fire with one eye and both eyes open so this way you get more comfortable lining up your gun with your dominate eye and still keeping your full visual range.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree on the 22. I'll bring four guns to the range but always one of them is a 22 to fill in the time I spend there. Anything you learn with a 22 will hold you in good stead with the bigger bores later on. I'd be careful with dry firing on 22's though as you can mess up the chamber as a result of rimfires.

yup.... always irks me to see people dry firing semi 22's at the store.... and then feeling bad for the fellow who is eventually going to buy it. do not dry fire semi 22's

Well... unless they're Ruger Mark I, II, or III... or a 10/22. Those are designed to be dryfired - you CANNOT hurt the firing chamber by doing so.

yup.... always irks me to see people dry firing semi 22's at the store.... and then feeling bad for the fellow who is eventually going to buy it. do not dry fire semi 22's

Well... unless they're Ruger Mark I, II, or III... or a 10/22. Those are designed to be dryfired - you CANNOT hurt the firing chamber by doing so.

not rugers. =) but did not know that about the rugers. these are berettas, smiths, buckmarks.

But most people didnt know that it can even happen.

22 would be a good first gun, depends on persons history and if thay have previous shooting experiance.

my first handgun was my 9mm and 2nd was ruger redhawk 44 mag. I would go shooting with my older brother alot so i had plenty of handgun experiance and my favorite was my dads 38spl.

had to check my purchasers permits thaught i had the 44 first.

All right so following up...22 for first gun

your preference?? revolver or semi

S&W/Ruger or ....doesn't really make a difference

This is a questions from a complete novice..

Well, Ladyfire, my preference would be a Ruger MK III or a S&W of some flavor - either the 22A or the 617. You should DEFINITELY handle them in the store and see if they fit your hands or if they're too heavy (the 617 IS large framed revolver, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage - while it's somewhat heavy, that weight soaks up any recoil so that you really don't feel any recoil at all when shooting it). If you can find a used S&W Model 17, that would be even better.

FWIW, my first handgun was a S&W Model 19 (in .357) and my second was a Ruger Mark I. Strangely enough, I still have the Mod 19, and I now have a Mark II (better sights and a couple of other features that I prefer over the Mark I). I also have a 617 in the safe, too. The Ruger gets the most trigger time, but the two revolvers get their share, too.

If you know any gun owners who have the type of guns you're interested in, see if they'll let you try them out. Or (and this may be off the wall here) if NJGF has any group shoots planned, see if any of the other shooters will let you try out what they have.

I'm also a member of www.NorthEastShooters.com, and we regularly have members-only shoots up here in New England. Next one is on May 31st in Athol, MA - a fundraiser for a member who's got cancer (and no job) and the next one after that is on July 3rd. But we usually draw well over a hundred shooters, and shooters are usually the most generous folks around - you even just LOOK at a gun up at one of our shoots and you're liable to get handed the gun and a full magazine to try. (we love to show off our toys). I don't imagine that it's much different down in NJ... (Heck, if you're ever up here in MA sometime, send me a message (or an email through the board here) and I'd be happy to let you try anything in my gunsafe. I've got everything from .22s to a .44 Mag in handguns and a small selection of rifles, as well.

Dwarvin1: My son buggered up the chamber of his Mark II by dryfiring. It can happen to a Ruger as much as I love them.

Really? Interesting... there's a firing pin stop in the Mark II to specifically prevent damage to the chamber. I hope he sent it back to Ruger for repair, as it seems to me that that should be covered by them. Certainly I've dryfired mine quite a bit with no damage.

As for the 10/22, the firing pin has a notch cut in it to prevent it from going into the chamber rim - it hits on the bolt so it's only got a certain amount of free travel. (I had to replace the firing pin on my 10/22 a year or two ago... seems that ~20,000 rounds through it wears down the pin! Go figure. :lol: )

Dwarvin1: My son buggered up the chamber of his Mark II by dryfiring. It can happen to a Ruger as much as I love them.

Really? Interesting... there's a firing pin stop in the Mark II to specifically prevent damage to the chamber. I hope he sent it back to Ruger for repair, as it seems to me that that should be covered by them. Certainly I've dryfired mine quite a bit with no damage.

As for the 10/22, the firing pin has a notch cut in it to prevent it from going into the chamber rim - it hits on the bolt so it's only got a certain amount of free travel. (I had to replace the firing pin on my 10/22 a year or two ago... seems that ~20,000 rounds through it wears down the pin! Go figure. :lol: )

I just replaced all of the springs in my 10/22 to attempt to fix a dbl tap problem I was experiencing. (It's a 'new' to me 10/22). I'm amazed at the simplicity of this weapon and the accuracy, and the ease of modification, and the fun factor...

Next purchase is a Mark III, I thought I had one, but someone (possibly on this forum) beat me to it on AuctionArms.

Ladyfire,

If you are looking into a .22 look at the U22 Neos by berreta. Very light very accurate and very easy to shoot. I love mine. You can even customize it by chaging the color of the grip. I know Jeniffer at the bullet hole can order them. Mine is still there if you want to see it and see how it feels in your hand.

Ladyfire,

As you can see there is no shortage of recommendations when it comes to firearms, we all mean well and trying to help however it is our opinions that you are reading. You started out well by meeting with Anthony at GunForHire and participating in Bullet Hole's Ladies day program, since you are waiting for papers take the time to participate in other Ladies Day programs; Cherry Ridge is scheduled for July 11 and Citizens Rifle and Revolver Club is on August 22. Additionally there are some ranges that have rental guns available it will give you the opportunity to fire the weapon vs. just holding it in a store.

In an earlier post you asked some questions about revolver vs semi and which manufacturer. After some exposure to different guns and calibers you will be able to answer these questions for yourself. Regardless the shooters on this forum are always here to help out. :)

Tom

I just replaced all of the springs in my 10/22 to attempt to fix a dbl tap problem I was experiencing. (It's a 'new' to me 10/22). I'm amazed at the simplicity of this weapon and the accuracy, and the ease of modification, and the fun factor...

You're gonna hate me for this... Project Appleseed came up with a set of mods to a 10/22 that makes it what we call the Liberty Training Rifle, or LTR for short. Better sights, sling, extended mag release, modified bolt release, modified hammer... oh, man... this is what Ruger should have made in the first place.

from a thread on NorthEastShooters:

This is Nickle's post on building a Liberty Training Rifle out of a Ruger 10/22 from http://www.appleseedinfo.org from this thread.

Well' date=' here's what I did (or will do, in the case of a couple items), the cost of the items, and this is a decent priced, working setup. All prices are retail. They are not special or sale prices, nor are they group buy prices. These are 24/7/365 retail prices.

First, I started with Ruger 10/22 Carbines.

Add Tech Sights. Add DPMS Rapidex knob, for ease of adjusting (optional).

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm $55.00

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=353544 $8.49

Install sling swivels studs, detachable swivels and a USGI M1 Garand type sling.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=366960 $2.49

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=943877 $8.99

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=984970&chrSuperSKU=&MC= $8.35, black.

Add extended mag release.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=662086 $4.49

Replace bolt release and hammer (or rework existing ones). I reworked mine. Not for the inexperienced.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=145851 $35.99

Add a BoreSnake, sight adjusting tool and spare mags.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=260083 $14.49

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=260328 $6.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=252579 $12.99 each. I recommend at LEAST 3 of them. [/quote']

My comments after 3 Appleseed Shoots and building 4 LTRs:

1: You want FOUR 10-round mags total. Not two 25 rounders (they get in the way when you're shooting - they stick out if you're in a proper position. This also goes for Butler Creek mags, too. Get the FACTORY mags) but 4 10 rounders. 'Cause Nickle is a HUGE believer in the 40-shot rapid fire AQT - 40 rounds in 4 minutes. You do NOT have time to reload mags during that. (this is if you're using this for an Appleseed Shoot!)

2: there is a TON of good information on working on the 10/22 action on Rimfire Central. Info on how to lighten up the trigger yourself, info on how to make your own auto bolt release, etc. Use that site; it's a great reference.

3: You can find lots of cheap factory parts for the 10/22 on eBay. People buy new barrels, stocks, etc, and their first thought is "Gee, let me sell it!". That's to your benefit. I picked up a stock in good shape for about $30 total so I could experiment on cutting it down for a shorter length of pull since I'm a short guy. Worked great, and if I'd screwed it up, I could just have put my old stock back on; no harm, no foul.

4: Shooter's Ridge QD sling swivels are awful; they do not hold up under usage. Use The Outdoor Connection Talon models instead - they seem to be much more sturdy.

5: Volquartsen Exact Edge extractors are a Good Thing - about 700 rounds through two LTRs now, and NO more stovepipes.

6: Carry a large screwdriver to keep your action take down screw tight, a small one to keep your Tech-Sights rear sight tight, a 5/64" Allen wrench to keep your front sight tight, and a 9/64" Allen wrench to take your mags apart if you need to clean them.

7: The Rapidex adjusting knob is worthwhile; just be aware you'll need a fine pin-punch to remove the old wheel and install the knob.

Next purchase is a Mark III, I thought I had one, but someone (possibly on this forum) beat me to it on AuctionArms.

If you're going the used route, get a Mark II instead. The takedown procedure for the Mark III is a pain in the fundament, and they shoot just as well. I sold my Mark III to a friend (after warning him about it!) and got a Mark II instead.

Dwarven1,

I was on RFC before Maksim started this site, I learned more on that site in 2 wks than I might ever need to know about a 10/22. I still have some questions - mostly related to why you would pin the bolt, but anyway, that's for that forum ;)

It's a used 10/22 and I was having problems with cycling the action, MorlyK and a few other guys on RFC recommended I go back to the Ruger std springs in the trigger group (hammer and sear are aftermarket), so I have done that and have not been to the range since those changes. Part of the problem was the trigger group was floating in oil...

I made my own extended mag release ala tactical solutions. My first attempt was using some brass cut from an old outlet cover and it was fair to poor, it worked, it just bent pretty easily and the finish on it was lousy. My second attempt was using some aluminum stock from home depot and it's about 10 times better than prototype 1, it doesn't bend, and the finish is better, but I still have some tool marks on it. If I get some free time, I might refine the design further.

I'm happy with it's accuracy, and I've only ever fired it standing up, with std sights, leaning against the port at an indoor range.

Coincidentally, I have 5-10shot Ruger mags... And anything larger than 15 is not permitted in NJ (fyi).

Dwarven1,

I was on RFC before Maksim started this site, I learned more on that site in 2 wks than I might ever need to know about a 10/22. I still have some questions - mostly related to why you would pin the bolt, but anyway, that's for that forum ;)

Whenever I have a problem or questions on a rimfire, that's where I go to. Huge amount of technical knowledge there.

Coincidentally, I have 5-10shot Ruger mags... And anything larger than 15 is not permitted in NJ (fyi).

Really? Does NJ recognize the concept of "pre-ban"? One of my 30 round Eagle mags (for the 10/22) I bought when I lived in NJ - somewhere around 83 or so, I'd guess. Would that still be verboten? (Just wondering; I don't really use it and am going to be selling it this week.)

Dwarven1,

Whenever I have a problem or questions on a rimfire, that's where I go to. Huge amount of technical knowledge there.

Really? Does NJ recognize the concept of "pre-ban"? One of my 30 round Eagle mags (for the 10/22) I bought when I lived in NJ - somewhere around 83 or so, I'd guess. Would that still be verboten? (Just wondering; I don't really use it and am going to be selling it this week.)

Not sure, my understanding is that it's verboten. But Dick's sells 30rd mags for the 10/22 in Rockaway, go figure!

Ok....so to drift back to the thread question a little more background on me. I took the 3 hr pistol course (beretta 9mm semi used), a few misfires with this so I thought it stunk had a heck of a time locking this because of grip size) Ladies Day at guns for hire (semi 22 don't remember the make but just fired it did not load etc) My dad is a S&W guy so 357 revolver and 22 rifles when I was much younger. But have not gone shooting in close to 30 years,

So now please remember I am a single mom and costs are a huge factor. I know you get what you pay for but I also know to zone in on what is important to "me" then make a decision. (AKA I buy used cars to get me from point a to b and are good vehicles but don't have all the bells and whistles)I may not need the Most expensive as a first firearm. But I do need economical, comfortable for me, good for home protection (my overriding want for a first firearm) and cost effective ammo cost so I can use often at the range....

So I understand 22 is great for economical ammo but maybe not great for home protection if I ever need to use it

9mm just ok for home protection and still pretty reasonable for ammo

Now you all will probably laugh but when I research the glock 17 and glock 19 see some positives to costs, misfires etc but not "sexy"

My dad says little lady just get a nice S&W 38 revolver (ahem...but costs)

So if you all have time for further thoughts on above....and I do plan to attend the Cherry Hill...I asked someone at the Bullet Hole if I could rent before I buy and they said no. I am absolutely aware I need to try it before I buy so.

So your further thoughts....

If you can make it down to Shoreshot in lakewood, they let you try out the firearms if they rent it if you are thinking of puchasing it.

Did you try the Taurus Millenium series of the 24/7 OSS? the grips are very good for smaller hands as well, has plenty of safety built in, and run fairly reasonably under $500. Their revolvers arent bad as well.

Otherwise, keep checking the marketplace here.... Out of the first 3 firearms I purchased, 2 were used. the 22 was new, 9mm was used, and the 45 lightly used.

Check the safequeens thread in the general bucket section.... make some offers if you feel it is something you make like.

My other suggestion is to perhaps check the XD series... the compact series esp. They fit very very nicely.

I am sure there are plenty of people up north that can let you shoot what they have.

Ladyfire

If you want simple, reliable, affordable, easy to handle, and sexy with a track record of self defense capabilities then Dad is right get a 38 or 357. There are many to choose from. If you want a semi auto nothing is wrong with a 9mm if that is what you are comfortable shooting. Remember, a powerful gun with the largest bullet availible means nothing if you can't hit where you aim. Smaller caliber with well placed shots is how I would go. What size are your hands? That goes a long way in picking the right gun.

Now, what is your budget for gun, cleaning equipment, ammo etc total.

There are good deals to be had on used firearms.

ladyfire - tbtrout is 100% on the money.

The following are some of the ranges that rent firearms and were named in an earlier post; Sunset Hill Range, Ready Aim Fire, Shore Shot & Brick Armory, I'm sure there are more available. Firearms are very much a personal preference one size does not fit all. Handle and operate the guns at the store, make a list of the ones that fit your hand and are easy to operate, then go rent them and see if you like the shooting characteristics of those guns.

My wife has been shooting with me for over 20 years her favorite is a 4" 357 revolver ;) .