rauchman

Hornady Progressive or Dillon 550B

Greetings,

Have an itch to get into reloading. My uncle gave me an RCBS Rock Chucker that is over 20 years old and pretty rusted. This did get the reloaded juices flowing though. After doing some research I want to get either a Hornady Progressive Press or a Dillon 550B. Any thoughts as which is better. Which would require less ancillary equipment? Is one a better value? Which would be cheaper to get a complete setup? I plan on reloading 9mm, .45ACP, .223 & .308. Maybe somewhere down the line, reload for .40 S&W and .260 Rem.

Keep the Rockchucker for the 223 and 308. Have it refurbished if need be.

I'm partial to the 550 but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to run properly. The primer system needs attention and work before it stops jamming. Beyond that, both require the same equipment to turn out ammo.

I have a couple of Square Deals and can not say anything bad about Dillon. I also have a couple of Rock Chuckers that work great and RCBS has the same no BS warranty. One was in need of some work when I got it but it did clean up nicely. It is a simple design that is easy to fix.

That being said, if I was going to put out the money for a 550, I would put in a little more and get the progressive 650 if I was set on a Dillon. Personally I like the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press.

I have read mixed reviews on the Hornady. People either loved them or hated them.

Hope this helps

Maybe if it works out we could have some group reloading lessons. I'd be interested in that. Reloading scares me... all that math and measuring and precision and stuff like that there.

K

Dillon states that all advertised pricing must be MSRP. For group buys, which it looks like we can get a small discount, one would have to send a pm or email to find out. as soon as something is finalized, will post it.

Ok... Talked to vinny... and some info on the lee presses.

You can contact vinny directly about the dillon, but it is a small discount from MSRP. He can tell you directly as Dillon is very specific about posting any prices.

Lee prices.... the best I would be able to get it down to is really what Midway sells them for, just with no shipping fees.

Maybe if it works out we could have some group reloading lessons. I'd be interested in that. Reloading scares me... all that math and measuring and precision and stuff like that there.

K

Nothing to be scared about. I can teach you the basic's in a couple hours.