sroc112

New Purchase - Ruger SR1911 Talo 5 Inch

Just purchased today and out 100 rounds through it. Definitely going to take some getting used to as it is my first 1911 and my first .45. Was deciding on this or a Sig P227 fde in .45. Anyone else on here own a Ruger 1911?

Pics to come.

1911's are like Glocks...  for men.

Welcome to the addiction.  I don't own a Ruger 1911 but I own a couple of others.  They are a great platform to either leave alone or upgrade.  The Ruger is a really nice pistol and if I wasn't on a self induced hiatus I would really like to purchase one.  

Post pics asap and best of luck with her.

C

• Like 1

Thank you! It is a beautiful looking pistol but certainly different than my m11-a1 9mm that i am used to. Got alot of mixed feedback at the shop about ruger quality on a semi auto. So was curious what some people thiught on here

Do NOT listen to gun shop BS.  Most do not know what they are talking about.  Ruger Customer Service is one of the best in the industry,  Nothing wrong with their SAs.  Rugged as hell and built like a tank. Oh, BTW great looking pistol.  Nothing quite like a 1911. I am sure you will enjoy it. Good Luck.  

Nice piece. I have the stainless Ruger 1911 (sr1911 IIRC). Fun to shoot.

Now that i have the Glock 19, though, the glock is so much easier to shoot effectively for me. Im a small dude and my follow up shots tend to suck with the 1911. I killed the crap out of Ahmed the terrorist armed with an AK at the range with the G19, haha..

I love my 5" SR1911. Very nice gun.

Eventually, I'm going to redo the black parts for stainless. Not for anything other than looks. Have all the parts picked out, but unsure on a hammer and trigger. Might do a spurred hammer, which is what I originally wanted to do with my SP-01.

1911's are like Glocks...  for men.

Welcome to the addiction.  I don't own a Ruger 1911 but I own a couple of others.  They are a great platform to either leave alone or upgrade.  The Ruger is a really nice pistol and if I wasn't on a self induced hiatus I would really like to purchase one.  

Post pics asap and best of luck with her.

C

Show your friends all your beautiful 1911's and enjoy them....  Show the bad guys your GLOCK

Gotcha. Buy once, cry once, man. I learned that the hard way.. spend the $$ for what you really want ,even if it means saving for a bit longer.... youll end up losing in the long run (IE now youre going to take a loss on the handgun to buy the one you wanted originally).
Good luck with the sale!

what other manufacturers grip safety would fit into this gun without requiring any gunsmithing? I

None. Based on your posts I assume you want to change the grip safety because you want a tighter fit. That requires hand fitting.

What are you looking to purchase in place of the Ruger?

Take a look at my build thread in the Gunsmithing forum.  If you want to fuss with fitting parts, give me a shout and I'll help as best I can.  If you want a rattle free grip safety on a production gun, you may need to spend some more dough.  The production fit is just that, production.  Meant to get pistols off the line as quickly as possible.  

If you want something like this: post-4086-0-90630500-1471198349_thumb.jpeg

Prepare to spend some money.  This is currently well beyond my talents.  I'm hoping to get there someday, though.  The builder is Lou Biondo of Business End Customs in Massachusetts.  His work is very nice. 

Typically to get something like what is pictured takes having the tangs welded up and re-cut with a very discerning eye.

On a Ruger, which is a nice pistol, you will never find something like the picture without custom work.  However that doesn't mean that it's a bad pistol.  It's built to run.  All day.  Go shoot it.  Call Ruger regarding the scuffs on the slide and see what they say.  Their customer service is legendary.  Then, go shoot it some more.  

• Like 1

Yeah i mean with time I'm sure i wouldn't mind, and would learn to appreciate it. The thing that is bothering me is how new it is that i already started to see some wear show up. i may try and blue the area on the slide that has the scuffing, and lightly sand the inside of the dust cover and re-blue that as well.

Definitely would replace the trigger and grip safety as well. and at that point may be happier with it.