Light recommendation for my Glock 17?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 124gr9mm

124gr9mm
  • LocationMorris County
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge, Riverdale

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

Any recommendations for a light to add to my (stock) gen4 Glock 17?

I'm looking for something that's not bulky and won't break the bank.  I don't need a red dot or anything fancy, just something that would light up a potential target.

I've seen the Streamlight TLR-3 mentioned a lot:

https://www.amazon.c...d=IQ7H0BVFICO2L

Does anyone have experience with that one or other lights under $100?

Thanks!

#2 howard

howard
  • LocationMorris County NJ
  • Home Range:RTSP, Shongum

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Why not just get a good high power hand held light?  Do you really want to be pointing the gun at things and people you might not want to shoot just to identify what they are?  Also do you want to give a bad guy a nice bright target to shoot at as opposed to holding the light away from your body?  All things to consider.

Howard -- check my pictures at www.flickr.com/kirbinster

ALWAYS carry your camera, cause in NJ you can't carry your gun!

NRA - LIFE Member RSO //  IDPA  SO / USPSA RO /

29122929153_6381dd3b32_c.jpg

#3 124gr9mm

124gr9mm
  • LocationMorris County

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Why not just get a good high power hand held light?  Do you really want to be pointing the gun at things and people you might not want to shoot just to identify what they are?  Also do you want to give a bad guy a nice bright target to shoot at as opposed to holding the light away from your body?  All things to consider.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I've considered many different options and I've decided on adding a light to the gun.

• howard likes this

#4 Sig226GuyNJ

Sig226GuyNJ
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

I only buy Surefires. To me, they're simply the best. Expensive, but worth every penny. I have both weapons mounted and hand held Surefire lights, and all of them simply work, are bright as fuck, and tough. You can throw them into a brick wall, and they'd probably still work.

• NJGF likes this

#5 Shawnmoore81

Shawnmoore81
  • Locationsouth jersey
  • Home Range:salem county sportsmen's club

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Best for the money
Steamlight tlr-1s

Best
surefire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA life member
chief range safety officer
rifle instructor
shotgun instructor
Pistol instructor
Refuse to be a victim instructor
new jersey department of fish and game hunters education instructor (shotgun & rifle)

#6 MidwestPX

MidwestPX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Any recommendations for a light to add to my (stock) gen4 Glock 17?
I'm looking for something that's not bulky and won't break the bank.  I don't need a red dot or anything fancy, just something that would light up a potential target.

I've seen the Streamlight TLR-3 mentioned a lot:

https://www.amazon.c...d=IQ7H0BVFICO2L
Does anyone have experience with that one or other lights under $100?
Thanks!

TLR3 output is too low IMO. The TLR1 is where I would start. Many people get concerned about having too much light but the only time output is an issue is when the light is pointed at you. Personally, I use Surefire X300Us exclusively. I used to use Streamlight TLR1 lights but their non-weaponlight lines have all flickered on me in the past which makes me a little nervous about their products in general.

Personally, I'd do both. A handheld is great for identifying things without muzzling them. As for the light making you a target, it's not really a concern. 150 lumens or more to the face makes effective aimed fire nearly impossible.

Ty | 815.246.AR15 (2715) | info@midwestpx.com
A NJGunForums.com Sponsor - Click here to visit our sub-forum

Your source for AR15 parts, accessories, and 15rd PMAGs!

Use NJGF5 for 5% off your ENTIRE order!

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms
Limited Capacity PMAGs (AR15, AK47, .308 AR, and Glock 17)

FREE SHIPPING ON $100+ ORDERS!

#7 Malice4you

Malice4you
  • LocationMorris County
  • Home Range:EFGA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

I am a fan of the TLR-1s I have. I like how wide the beam is while still giving a good central spot. As for best money (is no object) can buy, no idea there.

And wash from that TLR1 is more than bright enough to at least light up a room enough to ID someone while muzzle is nowhere near aimed at them, for me anyway. Might be different if you dont have a lot of light colored surfaces though.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

---------------------------------------------------

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

#8 Purple Patrick

Purple Patrick

Formerly the poster knowm as ataimwolswol

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  • Locationwarren, nj
  • Home Range:New Jersey

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Streamlight ftw. Pick any model and buy with confidence

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

#9 mattm754

mattm754
  • LocationOcean County, NJ
  • Home Range:Garden State Shooting Center

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

A Surefire or Stramlight should work well. I'm very happy with my Streamlight TLR-2G and its 300 lumen output. Since you don't want the laser, TLR-1 would be good.

#10 MidwestPX

MidwestPX

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

If you do go the X300U route, get the A model rather than the B.  The B model uses a clamp system that can induce failures in polymer framed handguns if overtightened.  All of my X300U-As go on handguns while Bs go on rifles.

Ty | 815.246.AR15 (2715) | info@midwestpx.com
A NJGunForums.com Sponsor - Click here to visit our sub-forum

Your source for AR15 parts, accessories, and 15rd PMAGs!

Use NJGF5 for 5% off your ENTIRE order!

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms
Limited Capacity PMAGs (AR15, AK47, .308 AR, and Glock 17)

FREE SHIPPING ON $100+ ORDERS!

#11 Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy
  • Home Range:TTC (Maybe)

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

4 Good lights:

Streamlight TLR 1

Surefire X300

Inforce INF-APL-B-W

Insight Technology M3 LED

#12 Shawnmoore81

Shawnmoore81
  • Locationsouth jersey
  • Home Range:salem county sportsmen's club

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

4 Good lights:

Streamlight TLR 1

Surefire X300

Inforce INF-APL-B-W

Insight Technology M3 LED

I owned/own 3 of them
The streamlight, surefire and m3 are all great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA life member
chief range safety officer
rifle instructor
shotgun instructor
Pistol instructor
Refuse to be a victim instructor
new jersey department of fish and game hunters education instructor (shotgun & rifle)

#13 124gr9mm

124gr9mm
  • LocationMorris County

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thanks!

All of the feedback is very much appreciated.

The common theme here (not surprisingly) is Streamlight and Surefire, so i'll keep my search there.

Thanks again!

#14 High Exposure

High Exposure
  • LocationAtlantic Highlands
  • Home Range:Wherever I can press a trigger

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

X300U with DG11 switch is the current "A" answer in my opinion.

Yes, a good handheld light should be employed in addition to a weapon light. Both should be available to you. Handheld for admin tasks, WML for fighting. I keep a FourSevens Quark in my left front pants pocket at all times. I also keep a SF X300U mounted to the Glock in my holster at all times.

There are multiple techniques you can use to search both large and small areas with a WML without ever actually pointing your weapon at someone that doesn't deserve it. Additionally, some things should have guns pointed at them as you attempt to acquire and identify a threat prior to dealing with it. Now, I don't know about you, but I shoot much better with two hands on the gun rather than one on the gun and the other holding a handheld light. If you are searching with a handheld and you have to go loud, that's one thing. But, don't limit yourself. Drop the damn hand held, and get two hands on the gun and go to work.

Did you ever try to shoot and move in low light using a handheld light? Its hard. Add a moving target and its even harder. Trying to aim two independent things (hand held light and a gun) at a moving target that has the potential to kill you, is distracting to say the least. Having a WML lets you aim the gun and the light together, increasing your chances of tracking the target and getting hits where you want them.

Finally, not using a weapon light because you are afraid to "give your location away to bad guys" or "give bad guys a target to shoot at" is silly. What would you do under daylight conditions? Are you granted a cloak of invisibility when the lights are on or the sun is up? No you are not. Is your body not something that will give your location away or give bad guys something to shoot at?

Use the same tactics, techniques, and procedures for the proper use of cover and concealment day or night. Do not rely on darkness. Shadows don't stop bullets. Hard cover does. Learn to identify positions of advantage and use them.

Get a WML. Get a hand held. Get trained. Learn how and when​ to use both.

• 124gr9mm likes this
RIP Pat, until Valhalla

"Therefore since the world has still, much good but much less good than ill,And while the sun and moon endure, luck’s a chance but trouble’s sure,I’d face it as a wise man would, and train for ill and not for good."- A. E. Housman

Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

WWPRD?

#15 Krdshrk

Krdshrk

Really needs to clean his guns...

• Moderators
  • 15,736 posts
  • LocationLinden
  • Home Range:SCFGPA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

Holding the light and aiming is going to be tough - I know - I've done it in IDPA competitions.  A gun mounted light is much easier.  Also - a bright enough light, you can reflect off the floor or wall and see the person without aiming directly.  

I recommend the Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1S.

-Nick
NJ ZED Sergeant - Central Squad
USPSA #TY-70447 - Class D - NROI Certified RO
IDPA #A43721 - SSP Marksman

NRA Life Member #180509681

This is gay.

I'm totally in.

#16 Zeke

Zeke
  • LocationDown by the river
  • Home Range:Nowhere yet

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

My wife has A Veridian laser/light combo. Quality piece, seems to be holding up. Activates/ deactivate from holster. Several program modes.
WML? My local PD has them standard. Good enough for me....

#17 Ray Ray

Ray Ray
  • LocationBayonne, Hudson County
  • Home Range:Bayonne Pistol Range

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

This thread can be summed up in a few words:
Surefire
Streamlight
Enforce
Veridian

All others are "buy at your own risk".
NJZED