AntZ

Is AR10 really as accurate as good 308 bolt action rifle

I've always been more accurate with a bolt action vs. semi-auto even more accurate with a single shot. But it can have a lot to do with the shooter and not the gun. Most people say the AR-10's are extremely accurate, I don't have one and never shot one so I couldn't tell you.

I was just comparing bolt / single shot / semi's

Honestly, it ddepends on the gun and what you ahd done to it. You can make a VERY accurate ar-10. But out of the box, cheaper bolt actions will beat them.

Take for example my ar-10 A4 vs my CZ-550 varmint out of the box.

AR-10:

1-11 twist rate on a 20" H-BAR contour barrel with a recoil check, 8lb gritty creepy trigger. Best I could do wiht it was about 2 moa at 100 yards and was fighting it all the way. With decent ammo, I could pick off clays fairly quickly at 100 yards as it stays on target pretty well. Got it for $900 ($1077 adjusted for inflation to the year of the cz purchase).

CZ-550:

1-12 twist rate on a 26" barrel, pillar bedded, single set trigget that breaks at 5.5lbs normal, 2lb set, has a fair amount of non-gritty creep in the normal mode. "free floated" barrel was not really free floated. About 1 MOA out of the box. Cost me about $725 delivered.

AR-10 modifications:

accuracy speaks adjustable butt pad, JP-rifles trigger which has to use heavy springs to not have light strikes, but is a nice clean crips 5lbs with little pre-travel or overtravel. new grips. Total outlay, about $275. Shoots basically the same, but is slightly less hassle to do so. It NEEDS a float tube if I want more out of it. That's probably going to run me about $400 all said and done. It also needs a different trigger more suited to the needs of the AR-10. Which basically means either a RRA 2-stage modified by someone who knows what they are doing for about $160, or a knight's 2-stage for about $320. I believe timney has a new one that deals with hammer mass in what looks like a sane manner. It's about $250.

CZ-550:

redid the pillar bedding and also bedded it with dev-con steelbed. Adjusted the factory trigger, and get 3.5lbs normal mode, and 9oz set mode. Barrel is now actually free floated. Now groups about .75 MOA, and I'm definitely the limiting factor there. Total cost, about $50.

If you go for a AR pattern .308, I'd go with DPMS, it is the best bang for the buck in that area. Stay away form their sportical though as you really do want it free floated. If you want more than that, I'd just get one custom built. You can get an ar-10 that will hold MOA out to about 1000 yards. Of course you need to start with an ar-10, and add about $5000 to it in gunsmithing and parts. There are only a couple gunsmiths that will do it with any kind of guarantee, and you will have to WAIT. A lot. You want a bad ass 100 yard bolt-action, you can buy ready buiilt guns form a dozen manufacturers or smiths, and likely save 1-2 thousand on the price tag.

[ET]

Ugh.. When I said you can get an ar-10 that will hold MOA out to 100 yards at the end, I meant 1000 yards.

If only I was typing what I thought I was typing, I'd get a lot more done in a day.

• Like 1

I have an AR-10 w/ 20" non-free float tube. W/ mil-surp, I was doing just over 2" averages for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Better groups were floating around 1.5" at 100 yards. I totally agree w/ the comments made by the other AR-10 owner as to what parts can be changed out to get a tack driving rifle. I bought the AR-10 used, but if buying new, would prefer a DPMS pattern rifle as it seems that this is going to be the "standard" for .308 AR type rifles. I think Armalite makes a slightly higher quality rifle than DPMS, but Knights Reed, DPMS, I believe LaRue, and possibly others are all patterned on the same type receiver w/ mag interchangability. DPMS has a bolt assist where Armalite does not. DPMS style uppers and lowers are now available through CMMG. CMMG also makes an Armalite pattern lower. Magpul is making DPMS pattern mags as well.

In Armalite's favor, they do make factory 15 round mags for us NJ'ers. I don't believe 15 rounders exist in the DPMS format. Also, there are good aftermarket parts available for both Armalite and DPMS.... free float tubes, triggers, barrels, etc.

Utimate achievable accuracy between the DPMS and Armalite are a wash.

Looking into getting an AR10 myself when I came accross this old topic. Time to bring it back to life. I have heard that most off the shelf long guns are pretty much built arount a 3 moa spec. They use that to be within the accuracy for lets say, hunting deer. Hitting a 6 inch circle at a hundred yards usually does the trick so with a 3 inch group you are well within the kill zone. The custom and more expensive rifle manufacturers that guarantee sub moa accuracy make their equipment to a higher spec. Let's not forget what moa really means. It is about 1 inch at 100 yards. At 1000 yards, holding 1 moa means 10 inches, not 1 inch. A sub 10 inch group at a 1000 yards is darn good. If my LR-308 (when I get it) gives me anything close to 1 moa, I'd be happy. I could save up longer for a more expensive, more accurate semi-auto but that is not what I need. If I wanted more long range accuracy, I would go wtih a bolt gun, for sure.

It has been stated, but in many cases it will be dependent on the individual. I have always been more accurate with semi's compared to bolts myself, and it varies with the next person. Also, most of the guns we shoot are always going to be more accurate then we are capable of shooting them... so, it seems a moot point in most cases.

• Like 1

AR10's are Armalites. Do you mean 308 pattern AR's in general? At this point I think it is safe to say that for tactical applications semi's are as accurate as bolts. I think that bolts have the potential for greater precision than semi's but your entering into benchrest here of which I have no personal interest or experience in. So for my requirements under 1 moa is acceptable and the closer to .5 while retaining reliability the better. There are a number of 308 pattern AR's available that will do considerably better than moa. There is, however, a trade off. As already stated the driver is key. And it has been my experince that a bolt rifle is easier to remain consistant with and is more forgiving of input error. My rifles are all pretty much aquired with a specific role in which they fill. I do not feel the need for a 308 bolt gun at this time. That role is filled by my AR pattern 308. I am comfortabe with the rifles abilities out to 800 yards. Beyond that Im reaching for my bolt rifle. My bolt rifle is 338lm. Not to complicate matters but it can shoot 308 too but this is for cost of training savings ($22 a box vs $118 a box).

My Accuracy International Arctic Warefare held around .5 moa

My KAC (308 Pattern ar) holds about the same.

My GAP AR10 held around .4 moa

The best group Ive ever shot was out of a Larue OBR in the .3's

Semi-auto .308 rifles I have owned personally and/or shot for groups:

DPMS LR308 24" barrel - ~ .5 MOA

DPMS LR308B 18" barrel - ~ .5 MOA

Knights SR25 - ~ .5 MOA

Larue OBR - ~ .5 MOA

A lot of the accuracy from semit-auto's is based around the trigger and the operator. And similar to what Ben wrote above - it's always the human component that makes groups open up.

Here are my results with basically an off the shelf 16in DPMS in 308..

DPMS 308

Leupold 3-9x40

Larue Quick Detach Mount

Magpul PRS

Magpul Pmags

Harris Bi-Pod

I am liking this set-up the more I see it. Is the scope the ER model and which reticle did you get with it?

I am liking this set-up the more I see it. Is the scope the ER model and which reticle did you get with it?

id have to dig up the paperwork.. but it is an old a** scope that someone sent in for service to have cleaned up and all that.. and then resold.. the scope is years old..

the reticle is a duplex (the fat and then fine cross hairs)

scope is clear as could be no complaints.. it was like $150? I think the mount cost more.. lol

I have a Larue OBR and a Remington 700 5R bolt, both have a 11.25 twist and love 175 gr, Seirra MK. Both are more accurate then I am, but I think with a bolt you take more time as you throw the bolt and get back on target. With a semi I think you are quicker on follow ups. That is my experience anyway. Both will hold sub MOA all day long, the weak link is usually the shooter.

Heres my factory DPMS LR308 with 16" Heavy Barrel I use to have :(

308Desert.jpg

@ 200 yards and walking the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 scope up.. using a Caldwell front bag only..

200ydPic1.jpg

@ 200 yards after getting settled in.. 1 5/8" measured.. 10 shots.. Hornady TAP 110gr..

200ydPic2.jpg

I found a place I can get another for like $1100.. but I'm on the 223/556 kick currently..

I am looking at the entry level DPMS Sportical 308...  Good for first AR10?

I have reviews for my dpms up the page including targets....

With that said... I prefer a fixed front sight post.... I prefer a dust cover... And forward assist....

And if you plan to mount a bipod... Probably nice to have it mounted to a free float tube....

All in all I'm very happy with my dpms