AntZ

After Home defense event. Now what....

The "Robber ransack house in South Brunswick..." thread makes me thinking...

OK. You have a HD gun and you practiced and got good at it.

A robber came in you house armed with guns......

After the HD event, you were the one standing...

Now what?

Call 911?

Don't touch anything?

Take pictures?

If the police come, are they going to take your gun as part of the investgation? Should you ask for a receipt? Could you ask to keep the gun in case the robber's friends come? etc, etc....

Could someone answer these questions?

Reload!

All kidding aside, yes, your firearm will be taken as evidence.

Call 911 and tell them to send an ambulance along with the police.

Do not answer any questions without an attorney. Make you look guilty of something? Yes, but who cares. The police are not the jury. Anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you in court. (not for you, against you) - This is the advice of a police chief, detective sgt, and a det. Lt. friends of mine. As well as a current County Prosecutor that I often have lunch with. I am not a lawyer, I just take their word for it...they deal with these things, I dont. I asked them this question in this form....what would THEY do if they were personally faced with this situation.

Do not touch anything.

911 operator will tell you to put the gun down. (I was a 911 operator/dispatcher for 6 years)

Do not take your own pictures.

Yes, you can ask to keep the gun. The answer will be no.

This is why you need more than one! :)

Again, this is just my .02 it may not be the right thing to do, but it is what I would do.

Oh and remember there are several things that must occur to make it a justified shooting. A person walking in with guns in his hand is not reason enough.

You must have no reasonable means of escape.

You must be in fear for your life.

You MUST be inside your home.

YOU are responsible for where the bullet goes, LOOK BEYOND THE THREAT.

Oh and remember there are several things that must occur to make it a justified shooting. A person walking in with guns in his hand is not reason enough.

board up your windows

$hit your pants

kick back in the lay-z-boy

hit your target

Thanks Chad. Basically a gun owner need to have an firearm attorney or at least has a phone number handy. Because you never know what is going to happen.

And a big bank account, because it will get expensive FAST. No attorney will even think about representing you without being put on retainer which means $$$.

I have names and numbers if you'd like, pm me.

board up your windows

$hit your pants

kick back in the lay-z-boy

hit your target

LMAO....exactly! :lol::lol::lol:

Chad has all the information correct. Nickjc has kind of a pessimestic view of things, in my opinion, (No offence intended.) If you defend yourself and your family from a deadly threat, in your home and one you are not reasonably capable of escaping from you should put the gun down and call 911. Give the dispatcher as little information as possible - "someone tried to kill me I had to defend myself. I need the police and an ambulance." Rememmber, the 911 calls are taped and if you start flapping your gums that tape will come out in the trial. Start working up some tears and tell the police you want to go to the hospital, they HAVE to take you or have the ambulancee crew take you. Tell them you are deeply uppset, or work up a panic attack. This shows a jury you had remorse and reminds them that you were the victum. Keep your mouth shut, HIPAA covers medical information, not the circumstances around the shoot, so don't justify yourself to the hospital staff. Tell your family to keep their mouths shut, the police will try to trick info out of them annd they will want to defend you. Keep Your mouthh shut. Call a lawyer and have them meet yoou at the hospital if possible.

Keep your mouth shut.

You will loose your gun, probably forever.

If this goes to a jury you will be fine.

Several points have been made. Most seem to be based on what has been previously posted on other internet sites. In reality some but not all of the points are going to be realized in an actual incident.

A few short lines here is not going to prepare anyone for what will come down the line in a deadly force incident. The NRA Personal Protection in the Home is a good start. when run properly, it will be a 16 hour or more course designed around discussions by various instructors, one who will be well versed in the laws involved. Our club uses a few instructors with first hand experience from both sides. The course is well worth the money and a great start in what to expect.

Having extensive experience working for a law firm I can say don't expect the arrival of a decent attorney versed in these areas within anything less than several hours. You might get the friendly lawyer who did your house closing but the top people don't show up on a moments notice. You get the answering service who passes along the message at best.

Yes, you will pay a tidy sum even if the Grand Jury decides not to move on the case. But the problem in many of these internet discussions is to oversimplify what will happen during these events. They will drag on for some time. They aren't decided in hours or days. Weeks or months is closer to reality.

Lastly, you will not have to fake the panic and need for at the very least a medical review by a trained staff in a hospital environment. You will most decidedly need it for real.

Chad has all the information correct. Nickjc has kind of a pessimestic view of things, in my opinion, (No offence intended.) If you defend yourself and your family from a deadly threat, in your home and one you are not reasonably capable of escaping from you should put the gun down and call 911. Give the dispatcher as little information as possible - "someone tried to kill me I had to defend myself. I need the police and an ambulance." Rememmber, the 911 calls are taped and if you start flapping your gums that tape will come out in the trial. Start working up some tears and tell the police you want to go to the hospital, they HAVE to take you or have the ambulancee crew take you. Tell them you are deeply uppset, or work up a panic attack. This shows a jury you had remorse and reminds them that you were the victum. Keep your mouth shut, HIPAA covers medical information, not the circumstances around the shoot, so don't justify yourself to the hospital staff. Tell your family to keep their mouths shut, the police will try to trick info out of them annd they will want to defend you. Keep Your mouthh shut. Call a lawyer and have them meet yoou at the hospital if possible.

Keep your mouth shut.

You will loose your gun, probably forever.

If this goes to a jury you will be fine.

Now that's just not right. Isn't there some thing that prevents the gov't from depriving you of your property? Once it is used as evidence, it should be returned.

No offense... but.. who cares? You're alive... you can buy another gun... you can't buy another life. Stop thinking of your firearms as some irreplaceable commodity.. they're not. They're tools that serve a specific purpose. In a HD sitituation where the bad guy is down and you're not, the gun served it purpose and the least of your concerns should be losing some 600 dollar piece of metal and plastic.

No offense... but.. who cares? You're alive... you can buy another gun... you can't buy another life. Stop thinking of your firearms as some irreplaceable commodity.. they're not. They're tools that serve a specific purpose. In a HD sitituation where the bad guy is down and you're not, the gun served it purpose and the least of your concerns should be losing some 600 dollar piece of metal and plastic.

No, fuck that. If I use it for an HD situation, and I am cleared of any wrongdoing, then I better get my gun back. It's my property, they have no right to take it from me and keep it if there is no justifiable reason to do so.

No, fugg that. If I use it for an HD situation, and I am cleared of any wrongdoing, then I better get my gun back. It's my property, they have no right to take it from me and keep it if there is no justifiable reason to do so.

We had an LOD shooting in 1991, where we only got that officer's weapon back in 2003 from the Prosecutor's Office, and the kicker was, this Weapon was NOT invovled in anything more than an AD with NO injuries. Just dont be pissed off at the Police Dept over this, it's the County Prosecutor that Ultiately decides whether or not you get your gun back.

No, fugg that. If I use it for an HD situation, and I am cleared of any wrongdoing, then I better get my gun back. It's my property, they have no right to take it from me and keep it if there is no justifiable reason to do so.

We had an LOD shooting in 1991, where we only got that officer's weapon back in 2003 from the Prosecutor's Office, and the kicker was, this Weapon was NOT invovled in anything more than an AD with NO injuries. Just dont be pissed off at the Police Dept over this, it's the County Prosecutor that Ultiately decides whether or not you get your gun back.

I was arrested once, my guns confiscated, at trial time the case was dismissed, with the dismiss note the police wont released my guns. I had to get an expungement first, I did not had to go back to court (some cases do) but it took me 2 years to get all my guns back (delays) with a note from court sign by a judge. Whether is the prosecutor officer o judge I needed a paper from court sign by a judge to get my guns. The police can

Rumor as it Nappen does not practice in NJ anymore

He moved to NH. He is not that well thought of up here as there are much better available. His record in NJ wasn't all that impressive. His pr was just more noticeable.

Still adverts in the ANJRPC newsletter as well as the F&W hunting guides.

It's only a five hour drive and as the client pays from the time they step out of the house, what does he care?

He does advertise in both locations making it seem he is a resident of that location. He might just work through associates. No idea really.