Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

for those that are looking to laminate their FID cards

Just a heads up.... went to Wally world last night, found a great laminator, a Scotch brand one, 9.5" wide for $24.99. At staples, these sell for apx $100 for a staples brand. Great reviews. also, the laminating pouches are alot cheaper.

If you are in the area, and want me to laminate yours... will be more than happy to, or just go buy your own. It really is a great price for a great machine.

We laminated every card before it was issued (hopefully after it was signed and the print rolled). We would laminate any id cards the applicant wanted as a courtesy. The plastic cards are really cheap when purchased in bulk.

Ok, my card's 30 yrs. old and was laminated, but the thing is coming apart right through the middle of the card. I'm going to have to laminate over the laminate, which is all curled up or apply for a new one, Heaven forbid! :cry:

In our department a replace only card was not a big deal.

Address changes in voling different towns was a bit more complicated. there is no reason you should not retain the old card while a new one is being processed. However you would be required to turn in the old one before a new one is actually turned over to you.

If I were you, I would start the process before the old one becomes illegible and therefore not acceptable by a FFL or ammo dealer.

Also, I'm suprised the never came out with digital FID's like the MVC did. Sorta like FL CCW cards, rigid plastic like a credit card. Especially in NJ where gun safety is so prevelant, I guess duplicating a NJ drivers licence is more important that duplicating a FID ?

NJ was like the last state to do digital licenses.

and besides, there is a reason why our cards are piece of paper... the cost for them is $5.

i would rather pay $5 for a piece of paper and laminate it , then pay $200 for a piece of plastic... and trust me, you know they would raise their fees for it.

Yeh, I hate to go through all the bs again AND spend the money, but I guess I should do something. Shouldn't have to go through all the crap, being as they have the NICS. :roll: Might as well put in for some more pp's, like I need more guns :!:

NJ was like the last state to do digital licenses.

and besides, there is a reason why our cards are piece of paper... the cost for them is $5.

i would rather pay $5 for a piece of paper and laminate it , then pay $200 for a piece of plastic... and trust me, you know they would raise their fees for it.

Yeah, very true. Makes sense when you put it like that.

I got mine laminated at staples several years ago, the girl did me a favor and cut it out for me. Needless to say, I had to apply for a duplicate after she cut 1/4 of the card off. Right across the middle of the number. Someone failed cut & paste in kindergarden. :roll:

I got mine laminated at staples several years ago, the girl did me a favor and cut it out for me. Needless to say, I had to apply for a duplicate after she cut 1/4 of the card off. Right across the middle of the number. Someone failed cut & paste in kindergarden. :roll:

How did she manage that? Was that her first time using the trimmer?

Also, I'm suprised the never came out with digital FID's like the MVC did. Sorta like FL CCW cards, rigid plastic like a credit card. Especially in NJ where gun safety is so prevelant, I guess duplicating a NJ drivers licence is more important that duplicating a FID ?

Why would they bother when you have to still pass a NCIS check after you get the card. The FID cards are only here to stay until we can explain to the public that it is just a redundant system that they are paying for. When people find out they are wasting their money they change their minds. I have already convinced 4 people(2 fence sitters and 2 anti's!) that the NJ background checks are stupid and pointless and I've only been in this state for about a month! Just wait until I am here permanently screaming from my soapbox. :mrgreen:

Why would they bother when you have to still pass a NCIS check after you get the card. The FID cards are only here to stay until we can explain to the public that it is just a redundant system that they are paying for. When people find out they are wasting their money they change their minds. I have already convinced 4 people(2 fence sitters and 2 anti's!) that the NJ background checks are stupid and pointless and I've only been in this state for about a month! Just wait until I am here permanently screaming from my soapbox. :mrgreen:

Be careful, common sense and NJ do not go together.

How did she manage that? Was that her first time using the trimmer?

Who knows, I didn't bother to ask. When I showed my displeasure they thought I was overreacting, they dont realize how hard those things are to get. They told me just to apply for a new one, but as we all know its not as easy as 1-2-3.

SK- it just seems to be an antiquated system thats all...just like everything else in NJ. I'm not sure I follow you on the part about changing people's minds. Are you talking about applying for their FID?