CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, pjd832 said:

I believe he did his quals in Aug of 2022 by the original standards moving and shooting reloading in a string of fire etc and submitted, his permit issue date was early December… but they didn’t call him to pick up until end of January…so if he submits prior to August the qual sheet is an old form.. so it’s useless is t it? If there’s a new form and he has to take the use of force class and the qual is probably included or does he not need the uof training if he’s an OG permit holder?

If his original qual did not include the use of force curriculum, his permit is currently invalid (as of 1/1/2024). He should contact his instructor to get a form SP.182 filled in and file it with his PD. If that means he has to take the UoF class, he will have to do that before his instructor will sign the SP.182.

For my students that qualified with HQC2 modified, I only had them take the classroom instruction before signing their SP.182. There is nothing to say the shooting qual and UoF training have to take place on the same day. The day they completed the UoF class was the day they completed both parts, so that is the date I put on their forms.

Edited by Mr.Stu
Clarified adding UoF after HQC2 modified
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

If his original qual did not include the use of force curriculum, his permit is currently invalid (as of 1/1/2024). He should contact his instructor to get a form SP.182 filled in and file it with his PD. If that means he has to take the UoF class, he will have to do that before his instructor will sign the SP.182.

For my students that qualified with HQC2 modified, I only had them take the classroom instruction before signing their SP.182. There is nothing to say the shooting qual and UoF training have to take place on the same day. The day they completed the UoF class was the day they completed both parts, so that is the date I put on their forms.

His was a state trooper and it was all in one day at a gun club in south Jersey… he’s reached out to that trooper/instructor when the changes were being talked about …the instructor told him he was fine until renewal then the new requirements apply. So he’s been “ridin dirty” since January what a shitshow

38 minutes ago, pjd832 said:

His was a state trooper and it was all in one day at a gun club in south Jersey… he’s reached out to that trooper/instructor when the changes were being talked about …the instructor told him he was fine until renewal then the new requirements apply. So he’s been “ridin dirty” since January what a shitshow

Yeah, your friend needs to get things squared away.

It's administrative bullshit (that we have to pay for) but the ramifications for NOT having it would be severe.

A simple traffic stop probably wouldn't be an issue (cop looks at ID card and hands it back), but if there's a situation where any more digging is done, your friend could get jammed up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pjd832 said:

Was the trooper's first name Jamell?

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yeah, your friend needs to get things squared away.

It's administrative bullshit (that we have to pay for) but the ramifications for NOT having it would be severe.

A simple traffic stop probably wouldn't be an issue (cop looks at ID card and hands it back), but if there's a situation where any more digging is done, your friend could get jammed up.

Absolutely!  The really messed up part is, to me anyway, after they’ve issued a lot of nonresident permits I’m sure,  his being one, then months  after they issue permits, they go back and start changing the requirements for a permit and then say everybody must now update her qualification classes etc. they didn’t send him a letter about it. How was he to know…it’s ridiculous to expect everyone to check some other states attorney generals website every single day looking for new requirements that they must continuously meet in their current period of license. 

40 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Was the trooper's first name Jamell?

I don’t believe so….ill have to ask him who it was… he told me but wasnt anyone I knew and thr name didn’t stick in my brain 

• Like 1

It doesn't provide any comfort, but we're not the only state with permit acquisition problems.

Sheriff Abruptly Changes Policy That Led to Months-Long Delays for Carry Permits – Bearing Arms

Also, across the river in PA, as some of you have noted, there are wide discrepancies in sheriffs' procedures providing out-of-state LTCFs.

8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

It doesn't provide any comfort, but we're not the only state with permit acquisition problems.

Sheriff Abruptly Changes Policy That Led to Months-Long Delays for Carry Permits – Bearing Arms

Also, across the river in PA, as some of you have noted, there are wide discrepancies in sheriffs' procedures providing out-of-state LTCFs.

But that’s only for the out of state permits, residents it’s a walk in while you wait and $20-25

6 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Most PA Sheriffs simply refuse to issue non resident permits because there is no state mandate that they have to!

1 minute ago, pjd832 said:

But that’s only for the out of state permits, residents it’s a walk in while you wait and $20-25

While it's true granting resident LTCFs in PA is almost universal, legally it is still at the sheriff's discretion, and procedures vary from county to county.

My wife and I applied for our resident permits, and received them by mail exactly two weeks later.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Pike County no problem at all for Out of State carry permits. Sheriiff is friendly and staff is excellent. In and out in less then 5 minutes after applying online! $20.00  for 5 years, cc size and laminated. Can't beat that!

I'll second this.

If you're considering a PA permit and you're anywhere CLOSE to Pike Co, it's well worth the drive.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For those people here who applied and were given a bad e-mail address from a reference, what did you do to fix it?  I know the answer is somewhere in the 158 pages that make up this thread, but to save time, I thought I'd just ask the question.

As it turns out, the answer wasn't in this thread.

Edited by dilbert1967
Updated my post

On 3/15/2024 at 4:33 PM, dilbert1967 said:

For those people here who applied and were given a bad e-mail address from a reference, what did you do to fix it?  I know the answer is somewhere in the 158 pages that make up this thread, but to save time, I thought I'd just ask the question.

As it turns out, the answer wasn't in this thread.

My buddy used me for a reference, and provided my correct email address on his application, but somewhere along the NJSP chain of possession, there was a hyphen inserted where it did not belong (my guess is that it was at the end of a line in some document that contained a macro for line breaks) that invalidated the address. He was told there was no correction/editing process and had to resubmit, and went through some other delaying nonsense (I'm not certain of all of it) as well, and it delayed him by at least two weeks. This was during the transition from paper to the on-line application process. I got massively screwed up on my application during the transition from judge to police approval. Damned state is plenty effed up when a process is stable, God help anyone who submits any paperwork for anything here while a process is being changed.