Sign in to follow this  
mikelets456

Remington Golden Bullets ... bad experience. ( .22LR)

A few weeks ago my son and I spent 2 hours shooting the .22LR with CCI standard velocity loads. We had a lot of fun and not one glitch. Well a week or so ago I "scored" a 550 pack of Remington's "Golden bullets". Let me tell you, these are the dirtiest most unreliable POS I have ever shot. We drove 30 minutes to a WMA site, set up targets and were set to go. We were ready to have some fun. The first ten rounds there was no problem. The next mag we had a feeding problem...fixed it, no big deal. Then a dud. Next mag no problems and it was my turn to shoot. Loaded up the mag, inserted it and was ready to go. I began to start shooting...pop...pop..KABOOM!!!!! What the heck! It was so loud my ears were ringing. The action/slide jammed and the casing was stuck in the slide. I pointed the gun down range with the safety on for a minute or so and then removed the mag and casing. It appears that the primer was completely split open. I assume the primer "exploded"? Is that possible?

Moral of story, this ammo is crap and I will not use it anymore. Thank God no one got hurt. I do have two bricks of Federal bulk packs...is that stuff any better? i have read the Remington .22LR bulk packs are REAL BAD, but I assumed it was just people complaining....they were right. i heard the Federal brand is much better.

BTW, we stopped at that point because we did not know if we had a squib or whatever. Turns out the barrel was clear when we got home and cleaned the rifle. I ain't using that junk anymore!

Remington Golden bullet 22 is pure garbage.

I had a 550 pack from Walmart and experience roughly 5% that simply didn't fire. I thought something was wrong with my gun but the primer was struck hard. Next range trip I took a pack of Blazer and some CCI. Not a single failure on those rounds. Two mags of golden bullet an one misfire.

It's garbage.

I have never used the rem golden bullets but have heard the horror stories in the past, have used plenty of rem thunderbolts in the 10/22's and you run into some duds with them also.

I like winchester and federal ammo.

what were you shooting them out of?

although I am fairly certain most will agree, I cant say that 100%. But.. my own experience with them is the same as yours. I think I shot one or two bricks of them. dirty gargabe, very high percentage of FTF and fte. from the smith, and this is a gun issue.... from the 22a, because they were hollow points, they would often get failed to chamber. the other 10% of the time the slide wouldnt cycle.

once the firearm became dirty, the problems became 10 fold.

and did I mention that ammo smokes more than a locomotive?

and leaves that golden flaked residue on the hands.

Just spoke to my father-in-law in Missouri, he was shooting a 10/22 using thunderbolts....and one went KABOOM! Blew the magazine apart. Gun seems ok other than that.

Why is this stuff so bad? Will I be ok shooting the Federal 36 grain that I got from Walmart as well? I have a Savage 64 and zero problems when I used CCI. I heard the Federal is good, but now I am wondering.

I don't know. I think any bulk ammo is just a lower quality maybe? The old saying, "you get what you pay for" still rings true apparantly. Personally, I have and will continue to shoot ANY .22lr I can get my hands on. I'm sure there are horror stories about any and all ammo on the market.

Just spoke to my father-in-law in Missouri, he was shooting a 10/22 using thunderbolts....and one went KABOOM! Blew the magazine apart. Gun seems ok other than that.

Why is this stuff so bad? Will I be ok shooting the Federal 36 grain that I got from Walmart as well? I have a Savage 64 and zero problems when I used CCI. I heard the Federal is good, but now I am wondering.

that stuff is totally cool.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I have been shooting cheap 22 ammo since I was 8. I actually still have some from then. After 30 yrs of experience I have come to the conclusion that most problems are caused by lack of weapons maintenence. Not to say all rifles will shoot all ammo. Some do better than others, but I am taken back sometimes when I see the condition of some firearms that are being shot. And then hear the shooter complain about function and accuracy.

But bad ammo does happen.

I have had a bad lot of ammo once and it was WWB 5.56.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I have been shooting cheap 22 ammo since I was 8. I actually still have some from then. After 30 yrs of experience I have come to the conclusion that most problems are caused by lack of weapons maintenence. Not to say all rifles will shoot all ammo. Some do better than others, but I am taken back sometimes when I see the condition of some firearms that are being shot. And then hear the shooter complain about function and accuracy.

But bad ammo does happen.

I have had a bad lot of ammo once and it was WWB 5.56.

This is new and was cleaned before I used it. Shot 150 rounds of CCI without a problem, cleaned it and then had the problems with the Remingtons. The reason I think it's the bullets is because they would mis-feed, duds and then the last loud "bang"! Could it be the action or that the bullet was not seated properly when the firing pin struck?

on some 22's a little bit of carbon under the extractor is enough to couse duds and problems.

Some guns only like some bullets though. Since the gun is new this could be just a learning curve for it.

Take a dental pick and scrape the bolt face and under the extractor. There may be a small amount of carbon.

Also, what kind of gun is it? Rem 597's have issues that are easily fixed, just inconvenient.

i have found that both golden bullets + thunderbolts to be dirty , inconsistant , unreliable + inaccurate - check out the comments on the rimfire central forum for some real horror stories -