Scottcba1

Gun Cleaning Questions

Since my Ruger SR9 is coming in this week I figured I might as well as a couple maintence questions.

How often do you guys clean your guns?

Should the gun be cleaned when it is new right out of the box?

Which cleaners and or kits do you prefer?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

what he said....

I clean after every time shooting. 22's always. 9mm and up... will most always clean them same day, unless I only put through 50 rnds or less.

with the 22's... there hasnt been a time I put through less than 150 to 200rnds at a time.

Since my Ruger SR9 is coming in this week I figured I might as well as a couple maintence questions.

How often do you guys clean your guns? RARELY

Should the gun be cleaned when it is new right out of the box? USE MILITEC-1

Which cleaners and or kits do you prefer? BREAKFREE CLP

Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

I try to clean my guns after every range shoot. I usually start by running a bore snake through it. Usually use CLP or Rem Oil for cleaning, a little Teflon lube on the rails and they are good to go. Thinking of mixing up a batch of that "Ed's Red" and trying that. We typically shoot 100+ rounds of 9mm and several hundred rounds of .22 when we go to the range.

I guess I am not the "typical" gun owner, especially here in Jersey? I do not sleep with a gun next to my bed, I live in a nice quiet neighborhood full of senior citizens. If I ever felt I had to sleep with a gun under my pillow, I figure it is time to find a new place to live. I never listen to talk radio, always have a CD playing in my car, and I never, ever, talk politics....keeps my blood pressure down.

I too am an old phart, but did not get the movie reference?? Oh well!

My son does Audio Books all the time. Sometimes, if I have a long trip and am by myself, I'll plug Transformers or another movie I have seen into the DVD player. Since I know what is happening, it is easy to follow along and makes the time fly by.

What's a CD?

Some technology that should have completely died when DVDs were invented. Now that DVDs are about to die, hopefully they take CDs with 'em.

All slow ass optical media is on the way out anyway.

EVERYTHING new will be 100% digital flash/solid state of some sort in 10 years. The only reason the other still will be around to any extent is the millions of players still in cars.

In the car it's primarily my Sat radio, next is the Ipod. I have some CDs with mp3s in the disc changer too, but don't use it much.

Yeah, sometimes I just plug in my iTouch, but I hate the wire hanging around. And with the CDs, I can change tracks and disks with the steering wheel controls, with my Ipod or iTouch, I have to look down at it.

What's a CD?

Some technology that should have completely died when DVDs were invented. Now that DVDs are about to die, hopefully they take CDs with 'em.

All slow a** optical media is on the way out anyway.

EVERYTHING new will be 100% digital flash/solid state of some sort in 10 years. The only reason the other still will be around to any extent is the millions of players still in cars.

In the car it's primarily my Sat radio, next is the Ipod. I have some CDs with mp3s in the disc changer too, but don't use it much.

Not to hijack this tread... but optical will have one thing that hard drives will not....

Sticks and stones may brake its bones... but magnets will never hurt it.

I have thrown and tossed optical disks across the room, used them as coasters, and they still work, and will. solid state drives, or anything digital, will always be subject to vanishing if you have a bad surge that fries stuff, or your neighbor gets pissed off and wipes your computer with a strong magnet.

Not to hijack this tread... but optical will have one thing that hard drives will not....

Sticks and stones may brake its bones... but magnets will never hurt it.

I have thrown and tossed optical disks across the room, used them as coasters, and they still work, and will. solid state drives, or anything digital, will always be subject to vanishing if you have a bad surge that fries stuff, or your neighbor gets pissed off and wipes your computer with a strong magnet.

Here's a home experiment for you. Take a magnet, any magnet, be it a strong electromagnetic eraser or a strong neodymium magnet and attempt to erase ANY media short of a floppy disk. Get back to me when you've achieved this, I'll be at plot 234 shady paradise cemetery.

Optical media has a standing shelf life that begins to fail in 5 years in a perfect environment although that's the very statistical outliers. Environmental issues can drastically reduce the life of a CD/DVD including cosmic rays. These issues aren't aren't trivial. Disaster recovery has been a part of what I do for a living for 20 years. If you want to keep something, put it on a tape or a hard disk and seal it. When I've done offsite DR simulations we've had brand new MFG discs that were sealed in the package that had become unreadable after 3 years. It's not as much of a problem for entertainment media where the screen might wig out for a few, but it's a big deal for mission critical data.

I got a 6 yr old that can foul up any optical media in short order. Send it over - I'll show you what I mean ;)

this is refreshing to know, thats its not only the jeep websites that I go on that get totally off topic. Its also the gun forums that I go on that get totally off topic. Its nice to have some similarity haha

Thanks for the CLEANING tips guys! ;):lol: :twisted: :shock: :o:)

-Scott

Do yourself a favor. Buy some breakfree CLP, some cleaning cloths(something low lint) and some bore patches. Find one of those cheap bore cleaning kits(had on ebay for $15 or less) with all the rods and brushes for various calibers. A boresnake is a bonus. I also use rem-oil.

Sit down somewhere that you have some space, put something down like an old T-shirt. Have a little cup ready for small parts.

clean away.

Well sometimes we old pharts ramble on, sorry about that. Speaking of Jeeps, my son and I refurbished a 1964 CJ6A Tuxedo Park a few years back. Have you ever heard of that model? I found out after buying it that it was the rarest CJ model ever built! It was a fun project, took us 6 weeks start to finish which included fabricating and welding in new body panels, painting, tune up and change all fluids, brakes all around, new springs and shocks, seats, top and new tires. My son and I did 100% of the work ourselves. Our next project was to build a Race Rabbit for autocrossing which took us to 3 seasons of class championships and 53 trophies, which included 41 consecutive first place finishes. For this project we built a "custom" motor and transmission, roll cage, trick suspension and paint, once again all 100% done by us...oh damn, here I am going on again :lol:

Unfortunately, when I retired in 2005 and moved down the shore, my wife made me sell all my toys :cry:

That's when we took up shooting again and I had to learn to CLEAN all my new guns again with my bore snakes, CLP and Rem Oil and ....(sneaky transition back on topic :roll: )

-Scott

Being a bad gun owner I clean my guns right before I go to the range and let them marinate in spent gun powder in their cases till I'm ready to go to the range again. Could that have any negative effects? Corrosion, finish damage, etc?

-Scott

Being a bad gun owner I clean my guns right before I go to the range and let them marinate in spent gun powder in their cases till I'm ready to go to the range again. Could that have any negative effects? Corrosion, finish damage, etc?

don't shoot corrosive ammo