Mrs. Peel

Smoke from Canadian Wildfires... pretty heavy in Hunterdon

26 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Bridgewater&state=NJ&country=USA

315 right now in Bridgewater.  Put in your zip code and see what yours is.  I see a big hazardous chunk coming from the west too...  

We're downs to 363 now.

45 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

There are people demanding schools close because of this…  I don’t get it.  Are classes outside?   Recess in the gym, sure.  But cancel?   Jfc.   

Some schools the HVAC and air filtering isn't up to snuff.  My kid's going to school - she's just fine.  Just no outdoor stuff.  My wife picked her up from school today and will tomorrow too.

We're up to 353 here in Bridgewater now.

image.png

On 6/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, 45Doll said:

The smoke and haze filtered the sunlight to a spectrum that looked totally unnatural, and more resembled the incandescent lighting we have in place.

Weird! Never seen that before.

Came home for lunch, turned on the bathroom light and I was like, hmm that light seems extra bright and white?

Went on my laptop and same thing.

Everything had such a orange tone in the house warm white incandescents appeared extra bright and whitish blue. 

41 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Looks like the air quality is MUCH better this morning. Down to the 50s in my area. 60s in Midtown.

Yes, much better in Sussex County this morning as well.

Two things: solar power output, and what's with all that spontaneous ignition?

Surprise! Canada Smoke Causes 50% Reduction in Solar Power Production in the Northeastern US | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hoft

fire-canada--1200x630.jpg

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Yes, much better in Sussex County this morning as well.

Two things: solar power output, and what's with all that spontaneous ignition?

Surprise! Canada Smoke Causes 50% Reduction in Solar Power Production in the Northeastern US | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hoft

fire-canada--1200x630.jpg

Eco-arson? 

On 6/7/2023 at 8:51 PM, voyager9 said:

There are people demanding schools close because of this…  I don’t get it.  Are classes outside?   Recess in the gym, sure.  But cancel?   Jfc.   

I can understand it. With older ventilation, and frankly with any ventilation changes made for more "fresh" air for covid, the air quality by the end of 6-7 was BAD and overnight hit over 500 in some areas which is generally dangerous.  Ours did a half day, on 6-8, but reality was the back half of the day was less bad, the forecast was off about when it would peak. Like in my kids school, it looked like the hallways were foggy, and the gym was even worse. 

10 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Tuesday production was 53.7kWh - saw a steep drop off at about 4 or 5PM when the smoke first rolled in.

gDDxGX6.jpg

Wednesday production was 32.2 kWh so roughly 40% drop... but you can definitely tell when the smoke rolled in hard again at about 1PM.

uZqmK5w.jpg

In comparison last Friday 6/2 - total solar production was 62.2kWh - almost double Wednesday's.  

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

I mean - what happened to all of that lost explosive fertilizer?  

I don't think we've heard the last about that!

As for the fires, it definitely wasn't 10 simultaneous lightning strikes was it? No thunderstorms on the video.

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I don't think we've heard the last about that!

As for the fires, it definitely wasn't 10 simultaneous lightning strikes was it? No thunderstorms on the video.

There was a plausible explanation.  A storm had rolled through several hours/a day earlier.  Several trees were struck by lightning.  Fire is smoldering inside the tree unseen and not enough smoke to be picked up in satellite.   After a while fire grows big enough to engulf the outside of the tree and spread to surrounding ones.  That’s when they are detected.  Since they all originated with the same storm they all appear to ignite at the same time.