sroc112

NJ Gun Storage

Any other facilities like Gun Sitters located elsewhere in the state? Looking a little closer to Monmouth/Ocean county if possible.

Seperate question on this topic - What is it about Gun Sitters that allows it to be legal gun storage? Meaning, what differentiates storing your guns there vs at a buddys house or anywhere else that is not your place of residence? Is there some special exemption or insurance that protects you against things like theft or bding stollen out of your safe at gun sitters compared to storing somewhere else outside your home? At my regular storage unit there is a strict line in the contract that states no storing firearms.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Gun Sitters is an FFL and when you store a weapon there it is legally transferred to them. Storing them at a buddies house would be an illegal transfer. IANAL but I think I am correct on this.

Curious is how does it work getting them back with One Gun A month?  Their site does not go into any details.  When I first moved to FL I read a gun safety pamphlet the Sheriffs were handing out.  I was amazed at how following the guidelines how many felonies would be committed if in NJ.  One of them was storing firearms for a family member or friend who is going through a rough period so they would not be able to harm themselves.

19 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Curious is how does it work getting them back with One Gun A month?  Their site does not go into any details.  When I first moved to FL I read a gun safety pamphlet the Sheriffs were handing out.  I was amazed at how following the guidelines how many felonies would be committed if in NJ.  One of them was storing firearms for a family member or friend who is going through a rough period so they would not be able to harm themselves.

Gunsitters offer 2 services.

One is where you retain ownership of the firearms and they simply store them for you. This would be useful for someone going on an extended trip and didn't want to leave their firearms in an unoccupied house. It is also useful for people to store things that are prohibited in NJ at the PA gunsitters location. This is done legally in a similar way that you would retain ownership of a gun that was left with a gunsmith for repair work. You do not need permits or a BG check to get your guns back.

The second service is for people who have or are expecting some kind of TRO. I used gunsitters to store my guns when I was going through my divorce. I was pretty certain that at some point my ex was going to make up some story and get a TRO against me. Gunsitters take ownership of the guns with this service. When she eventually did file for the TRO and the police showed up to seize my guns, I was able to show them the receipt which proved I didn't have them any more. They took my FPIC, thanked me and left. To get my guns back after the divorce was settled I had to get a consent order approved by the Superior court to get my FPIC back and I did a bunch of PtPP with an exemption to OGAM to get all my guns back in one go. The advantage is twofold. My guns were stored in the correct climate and did not deteriorate, and I was never in a position where I might have had guns seized and not returned to me. That is a lifetime disqualifier in NJ, but applies nationally.

• Informative 1

11 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Curious is how does it work getting them back with One Gun A month?

There is no OGAM when leaving your handguns, or any firearm with an FFL like gun sitters.  There is no COE or NICS involved in retrieving your firearms, just a claim check and ID.  It's the same as dropping off a firearm to a smith for service.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

There is no OGAM when leaving your handguns, or any firearm with an FFL like gun sitters.  There is no COE or NICS involved in retrieving your firearms, just a claim check and ID.  It's the same as dropping off a firearm to a smith for service.

There are definitely some circumstances where you do need a NICS check to get your gun back from an FFL.  I was selling one of my long guns and brought it to my FFL to transfer.  The person buying the gun failed the NICS check.  In order for me to get my gun back I had to complete and pay for a NICS check.  

1 hour ago, ESB said:

There are definitely some circumstances where you do need a NICS check to get your gun back from an FFL.  I was selling one of my long guns and brought it to my FFL to transfer.  The person buying the gun failed the NICS check.  In order for me to get my gun back I had to complete and pay for a NICS check.  

That's because it was transferred to the ffl.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ESB said:

There are definitely some circumstances where you do need a NICS check to get your gun back from an FFL.

The OP asked about temporarily storing guns at an FFL that provides that basic service, not transfers related to a FFL facilitated sale or protection from spiteful TROs,

In the situation you outlined, you transferred the firearm to the FFL so the FFL could transfer the firearm to the buyer.  If a seller does not transfer (consign) the firearm to the FFL, the shop cannot perform the transaction unless the seller is there to fill out paperwork.  If the sale falls through, then the firearms have to be transferred back because you are technically no longer the owner.