Downtownv

New Jersey Follows California’s Lead on Unworkable Microstamping Requirements

New Jersey Follows California’s Lead on Unworkable Microstamping Requirements

by NEWS WIRE on AUGUST 27, 2023

By Larry Keane

New Jersey is trying its hardest to become the California of the East Coast – without the good weather, Hollywood and vineyards. When it comes to gun control, though, New Jersey’s got just about everything California has to offer – even down to the microstamping requirements.

That is, of course, until a federal judge ordered that California couldn’t enforce microstamping mandates earlier this year. Turns out, it violates the Second Amendment. New Jersey might want to take note.

New Jersey’s Attorney General Matt Platkin announced that his office established standards and an application process for handguns to be included on New Jersey’s microstamping-enabled handgun roster. Gov. Phil Murphy signed a law in 2022 that the state would follow in California’s footsteps to require that handguns be certified that they are equipped with microstamping technology that can regularly impart a code to a cartridge.

There’s just one problem. Every independent study of this nascent “technology” concludes that it does not reliably, consistently produce a legible mark on the primer. Put simply, it doesn’t work as advertised. That might be why New York has yet to certify its own microstamping requirement. They’ve been investigating and so far – nothing. New Jersey will look at the same independent, peer-reviewed studies. And, if they are honest about it, must conclude it is not feasible.

More here: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/new-jersey-follows-californias-lead-on-unworkable-microstamping-requirements/?utm_source=downtownv%40gmail.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20230901_FridayDigest

Murphy a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, Downtownv said:

Do you. think they have any clue as to how much "Un Stamped" ammo is out there? 

All of it is unstamped.  The micro stamping would only happen when the round is fired, and since the technology isn't workable, we're right back to 'All of it is unstamped'.

• Haha 1

oh no my firing pin got in a fight with a file..

But seriously I'd imagine it would eventually wear down even with the softer cups of a primer and Primer drag would probably make marks unreadable. But real issue is what if I want to replace the firing pin do I need to call GLOCKSIGBERETTAHK and request a custom pin made for NJ only, because free states could get normal replacement parts?

Btw it would be real shame if criminals start collecting brass and throw them around crime scenes :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ferris said:

oh no my firing pin got in a fight with a file..

But seriously I'd imagine it would eventually wear down even with the softer cups of a primer and Primer drag would probably make marks unreadable. But real issue is what if I want to replace the firing pin do I need to call GLOCKSIGBERETTAHK and request a custom pin made for NJ only, because free states could get normal replacement parts?

Btw it would be real shame if criminals start collecting brass and throw them around crime scenes :)

Yes.  Those are most of the reasons this is a stupid and unimplememtable idea.  I can’t say all the reasons because it is so stupid and so unimplememtable that there may be even more we are not stupid enough to figure out yet.  

• Haha 3

Revolver.

Or, 'my firing pin broke and I had to replace it'. 

Or, 'my slide cracked and I had to replace it'. 

Or, 'I replaced my slide with an optics ready model'.

Just for openers.

• Like 1

LOL So what we're saying is our overlords are so inept and stupid they copy the homework of other failed tyrants after they failed the class.  Plinkin and Murphy just when you thought politicians couldn't be any more sad and pathetic they show they can get even worse.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

Yes, I was going to mention that.

If this goes into effect, the crooks will have to start using revolvers.  :p

Maryland used to be one of the states requiring microstamping.  Some of you remember buying a handgun and it had two fired cases come with it.

The head of the MD State Police notified.the legislature that they had been keeping fired cases and comparing them to cases left atD crime scenes.  MDSP did this for like 10 years. This costed MD several million dollars a year.  MDSP requested the microstamping law be repealed so they could spend the money for something useful.

The microstamping law was repealed in 2015.

Platkin wants a law that...does nothing.

• Agree 2

It’s all fun and games until they treat possession of a non-stamped firing pin the same as a full auto sear, folding stock, bayonet lug, or two working brain cells.   
They don’t care if it’s useless.  Or stupid.  They will use it to fuck over someone’s life and scare everyone else.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

It’s all fun and games until they treat possession of a non-stamped firing pin the same as a full auto sear, folding stock, bayonet lug, or two working brain cells.   
They don’t care if it’s useless.  Or stupid.  They will use it to fuck over someone’s life and scare everyone else.  

They do all this in the name of "gun safety".  A term invented during the Clinton Administration.

After the mass shooting at a Colorado high school (you look that up) Janet Reno. the US AG was asked what is your response to people who say enforce the laws that we have?

She said, paraphrasing, "we just need more laws. It doesn't make a difference if we enforce them".

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Maryland used to be one of the states requiring microstamping.  Some of you remember buying a handgun and it had two fired cases come with it.

The head of the MD State Police notified.the legislature that they had been keeping fired cases and comparing them to cases left atD crime scenes.  MDSP did this for like 10 years. This costed MD several million dollars a year.  MDSP requested the microstamping law be repealed so they could spend the money for something useful.

The microstamping law was repealed in 2015.

Platkin wants a law that...does nothing.

It proved to be a waste of time in New York as well with their CoBIS initiative. (2 empty shell casings with your new purchased handgun.)

https://www.ocshooters.com/Reports/cobis/cobis.htm

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

They do all this in the name of "gun safety".  A term invented during the Clinton Administration.

After the mass shooting at a Colorado high school (you look that up) Janet Reno. the US AG was asked what is your response to people who say enforce the laws that we have?

She said, paraphrasing, "we just need more laws. It doesn't make a difference if we enforce them".

LOL Gun Safety brought you by the Administration and enforced by agency  that shot a pregnant women holding a baby and burned children alive for no good reason. You  couldn't make this crap up and have such levels of irony, hypocrisy and sheer stupidity as it has in reality.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Ferris said:

LOL So what we're saying is our overlords are so inept and stupid they copy the homework of other failed tyrants after they failed the class.  Plinkin and Murphy just when you thought politicians couldn't be any more sad and pathetic they show they can get even worse.

You're forgetting the part where their cronies get taxpayer funding to form a committee to look into it and come up with a policy to implement it. It's totally worth it, if you get a spot on those committees, or get a kickback from someone who is.

14 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

You're forgetting the part where their cronies get taxpayer funding to form a committee to look into it and come up with a policy to implement it. It's totally worth it, if you get a spot on those committees, or get a kickback from someone who is.

Public service and office is for thieves and psychopaths, Exerting authority and looting the treasury are but two of the perks.

• Agree 1

The obvious solution here is that NJ needs to institute a "firing permit" making it illegal to press the trigger w/o first obtaining a NJ Permit to Fire.  Then they will know with certainty who fired every shot.  They can use the existing P2P process - background check, references, and a fee.  We need more "common sense" gun laws, right?

• Like 3

The most over used phrase in this country ""common sense" gun laws" how about the liberal judges and prosecutors stop plea bargaining out al the existing gun laws on the books. And we rename it "common sense"  law enforcement!

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

The obvious solution here is that NJ needs to institute a "firing permit" making it illegal to press the trigger w/o first obtaining a NJ Permit to Fire.  Then they will know with certainty who fired every shot.  They can use the existing P2P process - background check, references, and a fee.  We need more "common sense" gun laws, right?

This should be applicable to Murphy's detail first and foremost, before firing on any would be assailants. The NJSP detail will need to file for a Permit to fire with the jurisdiction the assault is happening in,  for their convenience they may use FARS, but Identgo is backed up 4 months on the fingerprints. The local PD police chief would need to approve , but only after contacting the kindergarten teacher of the permittee to ensure that  naptime and  coloring in the lines were passed with at least above satisfactory gradings, we need to ensure proper training here. Also they need to submit a copy of the LIDAR efficiency certification if you can't hit a plate with a laser you can't hit person with a bullet. It will then head to a judge for signatures, if the court doesn't reply after 90 days you may shoot and you will only be charged with a Class 4 felony as opposed to class 1 felony for firing without a permit. Once an approved and permit is picked up the officer may fire one round, any more will require additional permits.

• Thanks 1

Microstamping is a ridiculous idea. Even if the cartridges fired were able to be stamped and identified; the criminal most often uses a stolen or black market gun that was not purchased legally. The bullet trace would go back to the original legal owner who most likely has nothing to do with the crime. This will produce more problems for the legal gun owner.

13 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm still waiting to see a crime solved by microstamping.  Google it. You won't find one. I related earlier how MDSP asked the legislature to repeal the law. Millions had been spent with zero results.

Let’s even lower the bar.  Show me one suspect identified due to microstamping.  The whole idea of microstamping is such a snipe hunt that it would be laughable if it weren’t being pursued.   Millions to implement all the logistical, organizational, and engineering changes reduced to vapor by a $10 Dremel.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1