Downtownv

Understanding New Jersey Stand Your Ground Laws: What You Need to Know

in the faqs i think they were partially wrong on duty to retreat on your property. they seem to have left out the "if you can do so safely" in that section.......'cause lets face it. i'll be happy to run away from an ass whooping....but i'm over 60. ain't no way i'm gonna outrun a 20something year old trying to do me harm.....thus...i cannot safely retreat.

The law on duty to retreat has 2 very important words in it. 

You must retreat if you KNOW you can do so in COMPLETE safety.

It does not mean you have to run if you only think you might have a chance to not get hurt, maybe. 

10 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The law on duty to retreat has 2 very important words in it. 

You must retreat if you KNOW you can do so in COMPLETE safety.

It does not mean you have to run if you only think you might have a chance to not get hurt, maybe. 

Intentionally Vague!

• Agree 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:35 PM, father-of-three said:

It seems to hit on most of, if not all of the important points.  It feels like there are links missing in the article, the way it is written.

Seems like this is a Work In Progress.  Like those sections are reminding them what else they need to add to the article.   Still good info though, just better once that stuff is added.  

I think videos of people reviewing self defense and home invasion videos would also be helpful.  Issue is most that are out there are not specific to NJ and its laws.   

The weekend shooting in Trenton triggered a rehash of NJ law.

When you can use a gun in NJ to defend your home or self (nj1015.com)

Veteran prosecutor Skip Reale cautions: “New Jersey has a very, very different view on a citizen's right to use force to defend either oneself, defend another, or defend property. We have a very restrictive view on that.” Even if you are rightly defending yourself or a family member or any other person, Reale says the climate in New Jersey will impact the decisions of investigators and law enforcement with regard to how they proceed, “and while in maybe 48 states, you wouldn't get indicted, in New Jersey, you run the serious risk of being charged. Even if common sense says it's a righteous shoot, it's likely you're going to have to go through a court of law. In New Jersey, we have a presumption of innocence, but we don't have a presumption that you made the right choice.

Wonderful. If you didn't see the original story posted in Defensive Firearm Use, here's a different one:

N.J. homeowner shoots, kills hammer-carrying burglar, cops say - nj.com

so they're gonna drag this poor guy through court?

good. when he wins, he needs to sue the shiit outta everyone involved. personally and professionally. and be sure to sue them for his lawyers fees, and for the mental anguish they caused him.

7 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

...when he wins, he needs to sue the shiit outta everyone involved. personally and professionally. and be sure to sue them for his lawyers fees, and for the mental anguish they caused him.

Or he'll just take a 'howard unruh' walk.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

so they're gonna drag this poor guy through court?

good. when he wins, he needs to sue the shiit outta everyone involved. personally and professionally. and be sure to sue them for his lawyers fees, and for the mental anguish they caused him.

No charges have been filed (yet).