Sign in to follow this  
CPRPE

Clean/Oil Before 1st Firing?

Quick question: Do you all disassemble, clean, and oil your brand new handguns prior to the first time you shoot? Is this necessary or just a good practice to make sure everything is in working order? I have three permits coming and will be a huge impulse buyer when they finally arrive. Will I have to take a trip home to clean/inspect first?

In my opinion, you should always give your guns a cleaning before its first range visit. From what I understand, guns that are NIB have a coating that prevents rust buildup while in shipment/storage. Heck, even if the shop cleaned/oiled the new gun (for display), I'd still give it my own cleaning.

I'm kinda 50/50 on the issue. Certainly, doing it won't hurt them.. but isn't the gun fired at the factory right before putting it in the box?

Any combat grade (XD, Glock, M&P) etc.. should be able to work right out of the box...

I once shot a Mossberg 500 untill it started getting a little more difficult to rack the slide.. and had a hard time cleaning off the factory grease/protectant.. so..

Why not just bring a little bottle of oil with you.. then you can do a field strip.. lube it up.. and fire away?

I like to dissamble and clean just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the gun.

Who's to say they forgot to oil the gun. I have gotten a gun with the wrong grips maks was shipped the wrong caliber mags with a pistol. Things are missed at the factory so I view it as the final QC.

I like to dissamble and clean just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the gun.

Who's to say they forgot to oil the gun. I have gotten a gun with the wrong grips maks was shipped the wrong caliber mags with a pistol. Things are missed at the factory so I view it as the final QC.

this is the same "forward thinking" company you mentioned in another post? ;)

but yes... I would break the gun down to at least look at it and see how it field strips before you fire it. this way, in case of jam, or you have to strip the gun at the range, you know how to. I think an extra 5 mins is worth it. But in all honesty.... you probly get the gun in a store, go home, and go to the range later. find the 5 mins. if you are buying it at a store range, ala bullet hole or brick armory... ask them to show you how to strip the gun.

As far as what I would do... er, what I do myself, everyone is free to do otherwise as they please...

get the gun, field strip for inspection of wear, full clean till the patches come out clean. Lube/oil only on a few contact points as instructed in the manual.

you will find many people dont clean theirs, so if you start your experience with your firearm right.... as in cleaned properly and inspected gun.... you are just putting the relationship with the firearm on a good note.

maks foward thinking and QC are separate issues!!!! :)

But yes... and in case you are wondering what wolfy was talking about....

I purchased an MSRP $1600 or so handgun, from a "specialty" section of a big manf... and the gun came with the wrong mags. lol.

It was the Smith Wesson 1911 Pro Series in a 9mm..... that was shipped to me with 45acp mags.

Obviously the issue was corrected, but stuff like this happens.... and the best part about it....

at least 3 people, vendors, dealers, ffl's, suppleirs whomever... have at least had to seen the handgun before I got to it.

this is the same "forward thinking" company you mentioned in another post? ;)

but yes... I would break the gun down to at least look at it and see how it field strips before you fire it. this way, in case of jam, or you have to strip the gun at the range, you know how to. I think an extra 5 mins is worth it. But in all honesty.... you probly get the gun in a store, go home, and go to the range later. find the 5 mins. if you are buying it at a store range, ala bullet hole or brick armory... ask them to show you how to strip the gun.

As far as what I would do... er, what I do myself, everyone is free to do otherwise as they please...

get the gun, field strip for inspection of wear, full clean till the patches come out clean. Lube/oil only on a few contact points as instructed in the manual.

you will find many people dont clean theirs, so if you start your experience with your firearm right.... as in cleaned properly and inspected gun.... you are just putting the relationship with the firearm on a good note.

But then the gun wil expect you to pick it up from the airport every time....

Thanks guys.... Kind of what I thought anyway. Good to know that I am thinking correctly though, eh?

Way to go! You have good instincts. When I cleaned my new Plinkster, a large steel shaving came out of the muzzle. So I am a big believer in clean before you shoot. Additionally, you want to be absolutely sure the bore is clear of any obstructions or has excessive amounts of grease.

Quick question: Do you all disassemble, clean, and oil your brand new handguns prior to the first time you shoot? Is this necessary or just a good practice to make sure everything is in working order? I have three permits coming and will be a huge impulse buyer when they finally arrive. Will I have to take a trip home to clean/inspect first?

I would give them a little grease. My last purchase I went right to the range with and had my fun ruined a little because the bold kept jamming, I took it out and it was bone dry. So I oiled it up right there and commenced firing. I thought the gun was defective but it just needed a little oil. (that and the fact I was shooting steel cased wolf ammo)