DevsAdvocate

NJ Legal FN FAL?

Yeah, the thing is, I always hear how great FALs are. Especially in comparison to M14/M1A type rifles. How it's easier to clean and operate, and how it was NATO's answer to the AK-47. The so called "Right Arm of the Free World".

But, with the FN SCAR and ACR coming out... I'm not sure.

Also: Why didn't the US Army go with the FAL? Why did they go with the M14?

I am going to have to say the M-14 is way more accurate then the FAL, as far as reliability, the G3's and real FAL's are good to go, the Most Cetmes leave much to be desired as Century has put out some really terrible rifles over the last 5 years. I do not know why we never went with the FAL maybe just a America is a leader and not a follower thing. I am sure we already had money tied up with Stoner by the mid 50's too for the M-16.

The U.S. will only use U.S. made firearms thats why no FAL's

Sarco sells NJ Cetme's But priced high 1200.00

search the net you will find one I did and paid 400.00 not to long ago.

I also have a NJ FAL and a freind has one he also is a member here

pictured below WITH A BLOCKED MAG.

I love my Cetme nice and light The FAL is also great its a heavy gun with a cast iron reciever.

100_0637.jpg

newfalgrips3.jpg

The U.S. will only use U.S. made firearms thats why no FAL's

Sarco sells NJ Cetme's But priced high 1200.00

search the net you will find one I did and paid 400.00 not to long ago.

I also have a NJ FAL and a freind has one he also is a member here

pictured below WITH A BLOCKED MAG.

I love my Cetme nice and light The FAL is also great its a heavy gun with a cast iron reciever.

[[/img]

Color me stupid, i thought they were specifically named as a no-go, how does it have to be marked to be nj Legal???

In regards to the FAL vs. M14 argument it came down to politics. During the early 1950s the US was undergoing rifle test to replace the aging Garands with a larger capacity semi auto battle rifle, scared as they were about screaming hordes of Russians with Ak47s. There is evidence that there was a back room agreement between Churchill and Truman that if the British accepted the .30 rifle cartridge as NATO standard (soon to become 7.62) then the U.S. would accept the FN FAL as NATO standard and issue it to all US Troops.

Problem was the U.S. insisted on and continued with their own rifle tests. The FAL went up against the redesigned T25 now the T47, and an M1 Garand variant, the T44. Eventually, the T44 won out, becoming the M14. However, in the meantime, most other NATO countries were evaluating and selecting the FAL.

FAL was not US made, although it was licensed to be made here by FN and probably would have worn a Browing name, it came down to Springfield is a US company. The T44 design lost almost all tests, minuscle amount, to the FAL design, but not by enough to justify choosing a foreign companies design.

• Like 1

Relevance to topic?

The context of M14 vs. FAL choice vis-a-vis made in America or not ...

In this case, choice of M9 was based on merit and not politics.

Back to topic, why are FAL clones (non-named!) so expensive anyway?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it would be legal because of the DSA reciever. I dont know of any 15 rounders, only 10's for NJ. As to expense, DSA builds arguably a better FAL than the original FN. Its a high quality custom build. A slapped together Century FAL is probably less than half the price. As to the question asked earlier why not the DSA over a SCAR etc. The DSA DID find its way into our current conflicts for some small spec ops groups. But I would venture a guess that its not adopted on a wider scale due to the significant difference in controls which would be rejected and would cause a need for a major retraining undertaking. To add to that I believe there is a caliber interchangability requirement in the solicitation which is not easy on an FAL.

BTW, anyone ponies up 1400(firm) clams can have mine :D

Shane