jermz1987

Smith&Wesson problem!!!! (PICS ADDED)

A friend of mine has a used smith and Wesson 66 SS with 2.5 inch barrel for sale. I am planning on buying it. It only has one problem. The thumb piece to release the cylinder is missing the top part. You can still open the cylinder but it hurts your thumb. He is giving me a great deal for it because of the problem. My question is, How much would it cost to get this fixed? Is it something easy? or something hard? Thanks. The other is the 686 we want to sell. We are not sure on a price. So if anyone has an idea on what we can get for the 686 and how much the 66 is worth, please let me know. Thanks guys.

Picture019-3.jpg

Picture020-1.jpg

Lifetime Warranty

For the original owner. There is no guarantee they will fix it free of charge for subsequent owners unless it is a recall item such as the firing pin bushing problem. The best you can do it ask but parts of the 66 are getting slim. I've had good luck through Brownells.

Ok thanks. maybe I should have him send it to smith and wesson before I buy it...LOL. By the way, He is asking 350 for it. It has some obvious wear and tear from being carried. It has about 600 rounds through it. He has all original papers and box. It is a 2 inch barrel I beilve. He also has a 686 that I will be posting up for him on the fourms. We are still trying to decide an asking price. It is in decent shape, and has a 6 inch barrel. Nothing wrong with it. But I rather have the short barrel 66. ;)

Ok thanks. maybe I should have him send it to smith and wesson before I buy it...LOL. By the way, He is asking 350 for it. It has some obvious wear and tear from being carried. It has about 600 rounds through it. He has all original papers and box. It is a 2 inch barrel I beilve. He also has a 686 that I will be posting up for him on the fourms. We are still trying to decide an asking price. It is in decent shape, and has a 6 inch barrel. Nothing wrong with it. But I rather have the short barrel 66. ;)

you have a pm sir!!

Yeah I showed him the cite of the gun parts for sale and he said if I got the parts he would be able to install them at our police station work shop. He is the station Armour . He said he just never got around to it. With that fixed I believe I'm getting a decent deal on a Smith and Wesson 66. I see them on gun broker for in the same condition for 450-500. So 350 sounds about right.

I had the rear sight blade changed out on my 4" Model 66 this past Spring

That is very easy to do and requires only normal hand tools and a small drill.

The thumb latch screws on and losing them isn't uncommon. Just use a decent gunsmith screwdriver so you do mar the screw. If an original isn't available, Cylinder and Slide makes a direct replacement. Dillon sells them through their catalog. $350 is about right for a M66 2 1/2 in. I picked one up last year for $300 with a DeSantis holster. It's a fun gun to shoot but the stock grips didn't suit me. Replacements are widely available in wood and rubber.

Any wear can be removed using a light scouring pad.

If not under warranty, shipping back to S&W will be costly due to restrictions on handgun shipping. The job is easy to do and can be do by almost anyone. I would suggest anyone contemplating doing even minor work on firearms invest in a decent set of screwdrivers such as the Grace set. They are ground to fit screws used in firearms perfectly. Typical mechanics screwdrivers are not ground to that contour and will slip.

If not under warranty, shipping back to S&W will be costly due to restrictions on handgun shipping. The job is easy to do and can be do by almost anyone. I would suggest anyone contemplating doing even minor work on firearms invest in a decent set of screwdrivers such as the Grace set. They are ground to fit screws used in firearms perfectly. Typical mechanics screwdrivers are not ground to that contour and will slip.

Agreed. Brownells also sells gun specific sets.