Ray Ray

Bi-Weekly meetup at Bullet Hole

The rapid fire thing seems to be subjective. Some ROs give you a harder time about it than others. Double taps, like damnyankee said, seem to be ok. Otherwise, 1 shot per second or slower generally seems to be ok in my experience, so I'm not sure why DY got a warning for 7 shots in 7 seconds. So, again, seems to be subjective.

The headshot thing is mostly because a lot of people end up shooting the target holder, or so I've been told.

[told not to shoot at the head of the target unless I was a LEO. .

the 'logic' of this ill never understand. ive been there and seen several badge-carriers shoot, and its downright scary how bad some of them are. it seemed getting 15rnds -just- inside the bowling pin at 8 yards was good enough to qualify to protect and serve.

I just want to emphasize that I wasn't trying to be negative about the facility or the people. I'm not used to shooting indoors and I'll adapt. As I said in my first post, everyone was friendly, nice and helpful. All of my questions were answered and it wasn't a bad experience. Actually, if there are people who shoot out lights, don't pay attention to safety, etc. I want the RO's to enforce the rules for my safety.

My experience with LEOs is that they're either shooters or hunters or they're not. If they are, their attitudes and approaches towards shooting are the same as mine. If hey're not, they shoot as infrequestly as possible and don't enjoy it - it's just part of the job and they have to qualify to keep the job.

I'm also trying to figure out where you guys have a 'Meet'. There's not a lot of free space.

My experience with LEOs is that they're either shooters or hunters or they're not. If they are, their attitudes and approaches towards shooting are the same as mine. If they're not, they shoot as infrequently as possible and don't enjoy it - it's just part of the job and they have to qualify to keep the job.

the difference is that 'part of the job' could mean life or death for an innocent individual.

as for meets, we take over whatever free ports there are, often sharing a port with 1-3 other people.

I'm also trying to figure out where you guys have a 'Meet'. There's not a lot of free space.

It's definitely a challenge. I'm anti-social and don't like sharing, so I usually just wait for a lane to open up :D Can take up to 30 minutes depending on how busy it is. But, mostly, people kind of hop around from lane to lane trying out everyone else's guns and BSing.

The thing with the lights is sometimes the guys with shotguns shoot high and bounce pellets off the frame breaking the lights. I have been there several times watching lights get shot down. Even pistol shooters shoot high and bounce bullets of the frame.

Ususally they don't like you shooting at the head with rifles because the backstop is thinner at the top. Nobody has said anything to me while shooting handgun at the head.

I had one range officer explain the rules for several visits in a row until he saw me as a regular. One time he told me of no head shots and of course I obeyed but was thinking this is nuts. I have been safe, careful, and never blown out a light or hit a frame. As time has gone by though, I seem able to shoot as I wish, with no further instructions or admonishment about head shots. Or shooting a little more rapidly than double taps, at least with a revolver. Perhaps I have improved enough that they no longer have any concern :)

I do however feel uncomfortable when people blatantly and arrogantly ignore the posted rules, like when guys load their weapons outside the ports.

I do however feel uncomfortable when people blatantly and arrogantly ignore the posted rules, like when guys load their weapons outside the ports.

I saw a guy do it twice in one night. He was scolded quite severly.

Unfortunately, I've seen people do so many careless things at BH, that the rules they have in place seem warranted.

I have to say tho, that J.R. (the RO that's usually there on tuesday nights) is always fair with his warnings. He's quick to point out what rule has been broken when someone screws up a rule, without being a d*ck about it.. 2nd time they do it, he's firm, but still professional. Third time, he'll rip your head off. And yes, I've been there when someone has done something silly 3 times in one night :shock:

Changing the subject slightly, when is the next meet? 7/20? I want to do some schedule planning sine Tuesday is my EMS Duty night when I'm in town.

I will bring 3 guns, PM9, P380 and M&P 9c race gun. The 9c will shoot fast - way too fast for the RO. I have plenty of mags for all 3 so if you load 'em, you can shoot 'em. I'll bring factory and competition loads for the 9c. I prefer to use my own ammo since I'm particular about what goes through each of these, and I'll be the one who cleans them.

A couple of other questions:

Can I put up cardboard and staple targets to them? Flapping paper bothers me.

The range looked to be about 15 yds. Do they ever mark 5, 7, 10 & 15 or do I have to bring a laser measure?

You can't put up cardboard and the range is 23 yards. It is marked at distances but it's still kind of a guess.

Unfortunetly the range is closed next week and we haven't decided on what to do yet.

You can't put up cardboard and the range is 23 yards. It is marked at distances but it's still kind of a guess.

Unfortunetly the range is closed next week and we haven't decided on what to do yet.

Are you sure you can't hang cardboard from the target hangers Ray?

The range looked to be about 15 yds. Do they ever mark 5, 7, 10 & 15 or do I have to bring a laser measure?

If I remember correctly, the right side wall has some of the distances marked out. Still a little hard to gauge the distance since you're eyeballing an imaginary line. But like Ray said, it goes back 23 yards.

Are you sure you can't hang cardboard from the target hangers Ray?

I thought someone tried to but the RO said no cause they would fall off or cause a fire or something. I could be wrong though, but I've never seen cardboard used.

If they won't allow cardboard (and I did post the question in the vendor area), we can probably do what one of my friends does. He shoots every day and uses butcher paper with either targets scotch taped to it or shoot 'n sees on it.

I'll go with the flow and find a reasonable way to hang some USPSA, IPSC and B-27's.

I'm going shooting in Bayonne this Tuesday with a few co-workers and was wondering if any members wanna come. Bullet Hole will be closed for a the normal meet-up so his is the next best thing. If you need directions, let me know.

Hm, what's the place called Ray Ray?

I'm not sure of the official name but it's something like "Bayonne Pistol Range".

The lighting isn't as good as Bullet Hole but there's alot more space behind you and in the port.

Hm, what's the place called Ray Ray?

It's called "Ray Ray's Secret Shooting Range"

Basically you go over the bridge past the Iron Bound section of Newark and shoot cans in an ally. Nobody calls the cops as long as you use 9mm. It just sounds like background noise. :D

I'm not in Newark, it's Bayonne. Stop scaring people Christopher.

Great...just don't speed on Kennedy blvd in Bayonne. When I say speed, I mean go 1 mile over the speed limit. They pull you over for the silliest stuff, trying to keep the jersey city crowd from wanting to go there.