imperialfish

Window Shoping before permit comes in

I'm waiting on my first pistol permit to come in. I was wondering if anyone has gone window shopping before there permit came in. What was your experiance? I have the cash but feel weird going to a shop and just start asking to look at a pistol without a permit in hand. I know some places wont give you the time of day if you dont have your FID and PP. I have the cash to put down If i see something i like.

This wait is killing me. lol I have gone to the range a few times now with some friend and it sucks not having my own.

Depends on the shop. Someplaces will let you look at anything without any documentation.

Most places IMO experience, will let you shop for pistols if you have your FPID (logic being that you have the FID, so you can apply for/or are waiting for your permit)

considering that using a permit is a one time deal (no trading in without another permit) try renting the model you are interested in and see if you like the way is feels and shoots. shore shot is a good place and has a bunch of different guns you can try.

I'm waiting on my permits and have handled a lot of stuff while waiting. Both ranges BAS and SS will let you rent and handle em to get a feel.

I also agree with a meet. I met up with a member, he let me shoot some of his h/w and I had a great time. I even got to shoot a member of the ranges ar15 and a ar15 lookalike .22lr.

Window shopping is good, shooting is even better! Hope you can make it out to a shoot.

tj462nj will let you look and touch anything in stock, explain it all to you and will even hold your purchase in their safe until your permits come in. Very nice people and very knowledgeable!

Also, I believe all you need at Shore Shot to rent and shoot is a Driver's License and they too will let you buy whatever you want and will hold it in the safe until your permits come in. The upside is that you can shoot it while waiting for the permit and you can even have them clean it for you when you are done shooting for a small fee. thumb.gif

sounds good to me im going to take a trip out to SS this coming weekend. Will anyone be there im thinking sunday.

I should have posted this last week :deadhorse: I would have gone yesterday.

Ive been in contact with TJ he has been great but very far from me. When i get my permit in I will be taking a ride out there most def.

Also, I believe all you need at Shore Shot to rent and shoot is a Driver's License and they too will let you buy whatever you want and will hold it in the safe until your permits come in. The upside is that you can shoot it while waiting for the permitand you can even have them clean it for you when you are done shooting for a small fee. thumb.gif

Did not know this part :-D

+1, TJ is awesome

Going to a weekly meetup or a larger outdoor meetup is the way to go.

My 1st one at Central Jersey over the summer, I couldn't walk down the lane without people asking me to come and shoot their guns.

I even had people bringing their guns over to me to shoot as they new I was in the market for a new 9mm and was a complete noob.

I am heading down to BA tomorrow (weather permitting) and will have my 92fs and M&P 9 in addition to my M&P 15-22 (which I am dying to shoot already) with me to try if you can make it.

I should be there around 7:30-8ish I imagine.

I believe that's when everyone else shows up.

If the usual crew shows up (and this will be my 1st Tuesday), you won't have to rent anything ;)

Wait until the BA 3/2 thread pops up, see who's going and ask if anyone can bring the guns you are interested in shooting.

yeah if you come to a Brick Armory meet you could see and shoot a few guns, Brick Armory rents guns. They mostly only have Glocks though, They have a Wilson Combat 45 as well. Usually we get there around 7:30 8:00. Brick Armory lets you handle guns without FID and permits.

That sound great then is the next meetup and where ??

Well....there seem to be people hitting Bullet Hole and Brick Armory every week.

Once it warms up a little more, you can come with me or one of the other members to Cherry Ridge which isn't too far from Lyndhurst (roughly 50 minutes).

BA is Exit 89 off the GSP (same exit as SS). When you come off the exit, Bear RIGHT and go up to the first light (it is a "T" intersection, you must go left or right) You turn LEFT at the light (I believe that is Chambersbridge or Cedar Bridge Road), go down to the next light (Swartsmore) and turn RIGHT, BA is down about a 1.25 miles on the RIGHT. Look for gun related decals on the windows.

Yes, they will rent pistols, but wait and see what everyone has brought to see if there is something you might like to try. I am planning on going and should bring my XD-9 Tactical and probably a .22 or two? If Tim is there, he almost always brings his XD .40 and there should be an assortment of other pistols, rifles, maybe an AR15-22 or two and lots of other interesting stuff.

If you are going to Shore Shot to window shop, ask questions, shoot or buy, you would take Exit 89 off the GSP, bear left on exit ramp and turn LEFT onto Airport Road. Go about 1/2 mile down Airport Road and Shore Shot is just around the bend on the RIGHT (BIG Sign but you have to look for it, it is road height - not raised.)

Sounds like im going to take a trip out to BA tomorrow. Who wants to be my tour guide :think: first time there.

I can meet someone in the parking lot around 7:30-8pm

I just hope traffic is not crazy its been a while going down south on the t-pike.

Dang, that's a long way from Lyndhurst. But if you're going to make the trip down, I would recommend GSP instead of TP. The GSP exit is about 10 minutes or so from BA, and you can get on to GSP from exit 11 anyway.

If you want to shoot a lot of different guns, it is worth the trip. You will save more in rental and ammo fees that you would spend for gas and tolls!

Plus the forum guys there are a lot of fun to hang out with.