StriderTB

Picked up a PAP.

Kinda fun to say. PAP PAPPAPAPAP. ;)

JonF and I hit the Allentown PA gun show last weekend and I picked this up for $399. Doesn't have the nice wood stock that EAA originally imported these with, but it's not bad. Now that the weather is turning, I can't wait to get out there and shoot.

IMG_0743.jpg

Yeah, haven't been to a real gun show in about 15 years. It was kind of a letdown though. They advertized 1200 tables, but at least half of the tables were selling goofy chinese made knives or airsoft garbage. Almost all of the AR accessories were UTG and almost all of the optics were NCStar. You really had to wade through alot of crap to find anything decent.

This PAP came with that top rail that's mounted to the dust cover. I think all of the synthetic stock versions come with this dust cover rail. I threw a Konus red dot on it just to see how it looks, and I'll try it out, but the cover as a slight bit of play to it, so I imagine expecting it to keep a zero is unrealistic.

all of my experience with dust cover mounted rails is they are useless for the exact reason you pointed out.. they just dont hold zero....

The vendor at the show selling the PAP, Ed's Guns, also had steel PAP mags for $13 each. I picked up two to go with the plastic mag that came with the gun.

Oh, and holy crap, EAA really packs their new guns with oil. It was damn near dripping when I took it out of the box.

Oh, and holy crap, EAA really packs their new guns with oil. It was damn near dripping when I took it out of the box.

I bought a surplus mosin that same day and it while it was packed with cosmoline, Strider's gun was way more nasty! :lol:

Kinda fun to say. PAP PAPPAPAPAP. ;)

JonF and I hit the Allentown PA gun show last weekend and I picked this up for $399. Doesn't have the nice wood stock that EAA originally imported these with, but it's not bad. Now that the weather is turning, I can't wait to get out there and shoot.

IMG_0743.jpg

nice Zastava PAP! i bought one couple of weeks ago.

2 questions if u dont mind >>> wat brand of red dot is that (on both rifles)? and did u ever c any place that sells wood stock for PAP? thank u

copy that. how about the magazines? any luck with finding anything better then "trial and error" with Romanian mags?

The PAP sight is a Konus SightPro MR, and the AR sight is a C-More Railway.

I haven't seen wood furniture for the PAP, but I've never really looked hard.

another question if i may 8)

hows Konus Sight Pro MR ? wud u recommend it for PAP?

The PAP sight is a Konus SightPro MR, and the AR sight is a C-More Railway.

I haven't seen wood furniture for the PAP, but I've never really looked hard.

i c 8)

why are u trading it? and for PSL-54?

I actually don't know, since I never shot the PAP. :lol: I'm actually trading it for a PSL-54.

I have used the Konus with my AR, and in full sun, the dot could be a little brighter. Otherwise it's fine.

I bought the PAP when I was out looking for a PSL and couldn't find one at a normal price. I'll probably end up with another, since I like thumbhole stocks, and they're fun to shoot for cheap.

The wood stocked ones are nice. They show up on GunBroker all the time for $499. A place in South Dakota called "The Attic" sells them. I bought one, sold it, regretted selling it, then bought another. They are well made (i.e. the receiver does not feel like it's made out of pot metal, like a WASR), fun to shoot, and accurate too. I was nailing tomatoes at 75 yards with iron sights without much problem.

The PAP its well built and the wood is great

100_0737.jpg

100_0736.jpg

Speak of the devil...

I talk about regretting selling my PAP, and the guy who bought it makes the next post. :)

LOL nice one.

yeee it looks really good. now where to find this wooden stock >>> that is the question 8)

i have seen paps with the evil black furniture, that wood looks super nice! i like it!

X2

not a huge AK wood fan.. but that all looks really nice together!

Since everyones talking about theirs, I am so grateful I went with the PAP for my AK variant that Ive wanted so badly over the years. Shoots great, easy to clean, easy to strip, price was great, and the wood is absolutely gorgeous. Mines got about 2krds through it over the past few months.

I would check gunbroker and numerous shooting forums for wood furniture. Im not sure if WASR furniture fits on it. You should be able to find it somewhere, as someone else said, many AK owners are not big fans of thumbhole stocks...I dont mind mine.

Here it is:

How many rounds does the PAP magazine hold? Do they make 15 round mags for them?

nope. for now its only single stack 10rd mags. OEM or romaks ....

PS still lookin for wood furniture :lol: one of these days ....

How many rounds does the PAP magazine hold? Do they make 15 round mags for them?

Federal law prohibits the import of semi automatic rifles with magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds, and/or capable of accepting "high capacity" magazines. WASR, PAP, etc. accomplish this by using single stack magazine wells (and then Century subsequently opens up the magazine well to fit standard double stacks) others like Saiga accomplish that by shipping the rifle without a feed ramp and requiring it to use proprietary magazines (also remedied state-side by simply drilling/tapping the trunion and installing a bullet guide)

To the guys having trouble with PAP magazines, I would recommend just opening the magazine well to standard size. You can download blueprints and templates online, and all you need is a Dremel tool and a tungsten carbide cutter bit for $7. The AK's very generous with tolerances and unless you totally drunken monkey fugg the thing, it will come out just fine. After that you can use Saiga 10/15 round double stacks from Izhmash, SGM Tactical, etc.

Not to mention if you ever move out of state, you would be able to use standard military surplus magazines.