matt6669

It's a bird, it's a plane, no wait................

"Hey Mom... the bench is too big and heavy to move. It is not going to fit up the stairs... mind if I turn the family room into reloading room? Its not like we use the family room anyway. Just a bunch for sofa's for people whom don't even spend time there when they come over."

Mom - "Matt, you are crazy. You are not leaving this here.... get this monstrosity out of the house immediately."

Matt - "WTS: Brand new work bench. Stained in this awesome color"

Col, it depends if you plan on finishing off the legs of the bench like I am.

If you are, don't use 4x4's as you have to buy 1x6's in order to trim them out.

Also build your underneath support at least two inches shorter than the top of your bench so that you have a reveal on the front 3 sides makes life a million times easier.

Also test fit your presses before committing on a size for the base. I thought I had it figured out and it turns out, I had to offset my mounting plates out another 1/4 of an inch so that when my RCBS JR swings up, it doesn't hit the lower frame.

The 2x4 method for the frame proved to be quite successful and very cheap. Screws are your friend, don't even think about using nails.

Anything else, ask away.

And the bench fits into my room, its been in and out a good 10 times already. But it does weigh around 250 pounds.

Col, it depends if you plan on finishing off the legs of the bench like I am.

If you are, don't use 4x4's as you have to buy 1x6's in order to trim them out.

Also build your underneath support at least two inches shorter than the top of your bench so that you have a reveal on the front 3 sides makes life a million times easier.

Also test fit your presses before committing on a size for the base. I thought I had it figured out and it turns out, I had to offset my mounting plates out another 1/4 of an inch so that when my RCBS JR swings up, it doesn't hit the lower frame.

The 2x4 method for the frame proved to be quite successful and very cheap. Screws are your friend, don't even think about using nails.

Anything else, ask away.

And the bench fits into my room, its been in and out a good 10 times already. But it does weigh around 250 pounds.

I am glad you said 2x4's are good because I already bought them. The reveal and the mounting of the press are good reminders. I plan on buying the Dillon 55B with the strong mount so that should make it easier. I haven't used nails in decades.

The only challenge I see is keeping the bench squared and getting it level. Your photos with the levels were also good reminders.

If you are using the strong mount, I'd wait until the mount arrives. You probably don't want a normal bench height due to the strong mount raising the press upwards. You will have to make a decision whether you want to reload sitting or standing as that will have a huge effect.

M

If you are using the strong mount, I'd wait until the mount arrives. You probably don't want a normal bench height due to the strong mount raising the press upwards. You will have to make a decision whether you want to reload sitting or standing as that will have a huge effect.

M

I assumed I reload standing up as I have to move around to check the stations and take breaks to verify the powder weght. You're a fairly tall guy, how high is your bench?

I forget the height but I actually reload sitting down b/c I'm a lazy bastard. I have a small rolly chair and i just slide back and forth between looking and measuring things etc etc. It may be something like 36 inches off the ground.

Small update:

Applied the second coat of poly. It needs a minimum of one more coat if not two more coats. When you look at it in the light, you can still see where the poly "dips" down into the wood grain. So I need to keep applying until that levels out.

I also finished sanding and put the first & second coats of stain on my mounting brackets.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

Small update:

Applied the second coat of poly. It needs a minimum of one more coat if not two more coats. When you look at it in the light, you can still see where the poly "dips" down into the wood grain. So I need to keep applying until that levels out.

I also finished sanding and put the first & second coats of stain on my mounting brackets.

Matt - it's a reloading bench - not a piece of Thomasville Early American Collection. Just mount some presses to it already and get to reloading, PLEASE! It's time for you to /OCDoff

Small update:

Matt - it's a reloading bench - not a piece of Thomasville Early American Collection. Just mount some presses to it already and get to reloading, PLEASE! It's time for you to /OCDoff

No, I'm not only applying several coats of poly for the look but also for toughness. So shut your trap and go back to lurking

Done. I hope it burns to the ground.

What a pain in the freaking ass nothing went together right. It's half assed and I don't care.

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

My advice throughout this whole process.

Don't use those cleats that I used, they suck. You can't get them to go in perfectly straight so when you go to mount your brackets everything is fubared so that was my first problem.

Don't make mounting brackets out of just wood. I am either going to put a 1/4" sheet of metal under all of the, or revamp the mounting system b/c right now there is too much flex for my liking.

All in all I wish I had a basement that I could of thrown some pos thing together and been done months ago. But its done now ready to start reloading.

M

Not done.

You still have to wrap the legs, and finish them and the shelf. And install a pegboard back wall. And finish it to match. And draw the outlines of the tools that hang on the pegboard so you can put them back in the same place each time.

There's plenty of anal retentive crap to do. Don't give up. You could easily stretch it another year or two.

My bench is under construction.

Top will be a kitchen counter and the back will be plywood. I am planning on a shelf or two and a couple lights. If I decide to add pegboard, I can use 2x2s as furring strips.

And while I'm spending money, I got this at Cabelas:

if you didnt already i cant tell form the pictures put a small piece of trim around the bench that way nothing rolls off onto the floor and makes clean up easy cause u leave a opening where you can either sweep the mess into or leave it completely closed and vacuum it. i load shotgun shells and thats what we did so shot doesnt roll everywhere