deviated rationality

1911 double stack?

This is my opinion only, so take it for what you think it's worth but...

All the Para 1911' I have held or shot feel kind of cheaply made and rough. I really liked their LDA (light double action) trigger and considered buying one, but I couldn't get past what I considered to be bad quality control.

STI makes a great off the shelf gun. I have owned many and never had an issue w/ any of them. If you want a more custom gun thats a little bit prettier but has the same ergonomics as an STI then go with SVI. You tell SVI how you want your gun and they build it for you. More money and you'll be waiting a few months to a year for your 1911.

Para is OK. I have never had any problems with my Para guns and still own a couple today. There are guys that shoot Para in IPSC competition and put close to 100,000 rounds a year on them w/o issue. They are not as refined as the STI/SVI guns and they use MIM parts which may break down sooner then later.

I dont mean to sound like a para basher but... there is a reason that most smiths wont even touch the internals. From the standpoint of a sidarm that your betting your life on, Id reconsider a double stack from anyone. I consider double stack 1911's game guns. Top tier units have tried double stack 1911's from top builders, none have been successful that I know of. They always return to single stack to the point that I dont even know of anyone that tries anymore. I have a Para. But the only thing Para about it at this point is the crappy cast frame and slide. EVERYTHING else has been replaced.