So I am looking to get a 22lr pistol. My issue is this. I would like something that has the look of a standard semi auto pistol. I am really loving the Beretta 87 Cheetah 22lr, But I cant get over the price. 750$ :shock: . I kind of like the Walther P22 but the horror story's about the gun are turning me away. Anyone have any suggestions? Besides a Kadet kit :)

You have plenty of great choices for sub $400.

Beretta Neos if you like a video game blaster

Ruger 22

Browning Buckmark - very accurate 22lr, very nice gun

Smith Wesson 22A. - variety of sizes and variants

Stay away from Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 as they are very finicky with ammo.

Only one choice...Ruger Mk II or Modified Mk III

I'll admit, a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger is a very good choice. But certainly not the only choice.

I think my (or any) S&W 41 is better. So there! :lol:

Buckmark and Ruger are good choices.

My buddy has a Walther 22 with a can (Gemtech Outback II), and it's never missed a beat. Extremely accurate (for me), I've fallen in love with it. I know this doesn't count for you guys, but it's also extremely quiet. Going to get a setup just like it.

I have a friend with Sig Mosquito, and Yes, it is fussy. With or without can (I forget which can). And I don't shoot that well with it.

I have a friend with Neos. Nothing but problems. But he sent it back to factory, and it came back 100%. But I don't shoot very well with that gun either.

I don't own a .22 pistol yet myself. I'm going with Walther 22.

I have never had any problems with my P22.

I like my P22. It's fun and cheap to shoot, but it is finicky about ammo, and nobody is going to confuse it with a bullseye gun.

Have a very nice Ruger Bearcat 6 shot revolver if interested. This is their small .22 designed for carrying in the woods and target. Made decades ago and Ruger just reintroduced it. I have an original model. Pictures are of identical model to mine. The gun I have is much nicer and currently deep in the safe.

That is so cool Joe. :)

I'm not a big fan of the Buckmarks.I really do like the semi auto look. Such as the Mosquito and P22. I have fired the Mosquito before and had many problems. Ill have to give the Walther P22 a shot. I read as long as you use CCI Mini mags the gun works fine.

I bought a Sig P226 22LR. I liked it better than the Sig Mosquito which is and felt smaller. The 226 is the full size 226 and can be converted to a larger caliber (9MM, .357 Sig, or 40S&W) with what Sig calls an 'xchange kit'. The gun, as a .22, runs about $500 and the xchange kits about $400. If you were to purchase a 226 in the larger caliber (although maybe you could find a good used one) and use an xchange kit to convert to the .22, it wll cost considerably more. You can buy a Sig 229 or 220 in the .22 version also. Now, to be honest, my 226 has had some jamming problems. In fact, it's back at Sig right now to see if they can correct the problem. It wasn't an overwhelming problem. Just enough that it got annoying. Maybe I should have been more patient but my S&W 617 fires every time and the Sig didn't. I would get anywhere from 2-3 jams per 100 rounds to as many as 10 jams in a hundred rounds. I used CCI Minimags which were supposed to be the best choice. I tried some Federal but it didn't help. It still is a very nice gun and, other than the jams, fun to shoot and accurate. I did try different mag followers and springs from Sigpower but they didn't seem to help. Judging by posts in other forums, I'm in the minority with these problems. Most people just shoot the heck out of 'em. I'm anxious to see what Sig does to it , if anything. I like it and I'll still keep it even with the occasional jams.

Another possiblity is the conversions for the Glocks. A company named Advantage Arms makes a conversion that is very highly rated but they can be difficult to buy. I considered this option before I bought the Sig. Everyone was out of stock and the backorder was about four months.

There are also some .22 conversions for the 1911's. I know they are available but it wasn't one of my considerations. I can't tell you much about 'em.

Hope this helps a little.

This video gives a pretty good review of the 226 (if he just didn't say 'dude' so many times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcTuE_3 ... L&index=19

Only one choice...Ruger Mk II or Modified Mk III

Out of curiosity-- why a modified Mk III over stock?

i own a mark 3. a lot of people dont like the "lawyer" features they've added like the loaded chamber indicator and the mag safety.

the LCI is known to cause spent cases to get hung up on it. there are a bunch of after market parts for it. ive become very familiar w/it and its fun to tinker with. more accurate than me and it will digest any bulk ammo i feed it.

i also have a p22 it serves a different purpose since its more tacticool. i read some of the horror stories on the forums but mine works fine. i use mostly remi golden bullets. i have good results cleaning it every 500 or so rounds.

id recommend eithr one depending what your looking for.

You have plenty of great choices for sub $400.

Smith Wesson 22A. - variety of sizes and variants

+1

It loves the CCI standard!

I like the way the Walther P22 fits in my hand though. It will most likely be my next .22 pistol.