Matt

Recommendations for re-usable ear plugs? can't stand

Get electronic muffs. They may seem pricey at first, but they're worth their weight in gold.

I use these:

Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... 001T7QJ9O/

For plugs, I use these:

Surefire EP-4

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-De ... 001V2SS9G/

Indoors, I double up and wear both together. Outdoors, it depends what I'm shooting and how many guns are around me.

Caine how do you like the SF plugs?

I love them. Very comfortable.. good amount of decibel reduction, particularly with the plug closed. Like I said tho, indoors I double up. I wear them with the plug open and electronic muffs on. I'm not comfortable wearing any plugs on their own indoors.

My only complaint is that after 5-6 hours with them in my ears, my ear canal gets a little itchy. But simply pulling them out for a minute or two takes care of that.

ETA: I've tried the EP3's and didn't like them very much. They don't block enough sound in my opinion. I only recommend the EP4's.

i have these. got them because i regularly play guitar real loud. but there is NOTHING on the market, that is in-ear, works as well, and more comfortable

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_erseries_customs.html

i use the 15db for the range. but may order a set of 25db as i think it will be better on the rifle range.

Great topic. I was thinking of the same thing. I hate wearing the big ear plugs. I use the foam ones for outdoor ranges with pistol caliber and 22lr but would prefer more ear protection like the putty stuff. When I shoot rifle, I will double with foam and large ear protection. I don't want to lose my hearing over a hobby.

Drag strips sell a plastic band with ear plugs. They're rubber or hard foam but they are fairly comfortable to wear. Very inexpensive. I can wear 'em when watching the Top fuel cars run and don't even notice 'em (except that I can hear afterwards). I've used 'em at the range and they work good for that too. Don't know where you'd buy 'em except maybe online or maybe if you know somebody going to a dragstrip they'd pick 'em up for you.

Aside from the Howard Leight muffs, i also use these from time to time.. and sometimes when i'm at home, i wear both at the same time..

they are like 12 bucks and come in a small carrying case

Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Earplugs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W2CPCC/ref=oss_product

31Q9-nsafvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

here's a little info so you don't have to click the link

Product Description

Peltor Indoor / Outdoor Range E-A-R Plugs work in any shooting environment. The ultimate shooter's plug - one plug for both ranges! The yellow end is noise-activated protection up to NRR 22dB for outdoor range use while the olive end is conventional NRR 22dB for indoor range use. All backed by Peltor E-A-R Plugs 25 year reputation of excellence. More: The ultimate shooter's plug - one plug for both ranges; Olive end: conventional NRR 22dB for indoor range use; Yellow end: noise-activated protection up to NRR 22dB for outdoor range use; Soft non-irritating polymer for all day comfort; Used by the U.S. military; No valves to wear out. The hearing protection choice of law enforcement, the military and shooters all over the world can be your choice too! Order Today! AOSafety Peltor Indoor / Outdoor Range E-A-R Plugs

Have you used them and if so are they more comfortable then the soft plugs? Ear muffs cause the ears to sweat and then I end up with an earache.

I used them as a kid to prevent swimmer's ear. They mold to your ear and are comfortable.