GoNRA

NJ Cops Checking For Fireworks, Drinking For 4th

New Jersey Police Patrol Pa. Border For Illegal Fireworks, Patrol For Underage Drinking And Drunk Driving

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ?

While many New Jerseyans will enjoy beaches, boardwalks and barbecues this July 4th weekend, police will be preoccupied with illegal fireworks, underage drinkers and drunk drivers.

State and local police will be monitoring drivers who cross into Pennsylvania to buy fireworks, then bring them back into New Jersey, where fireworks of any type -- including sparklers -- are illegal.

Possession of fireworks is a misdemeanor, but possession with intent to sell is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Each year, police confiscate between 500 to 1,000 cases of illegal fireworks.

Police in 31 Jersey shore towns also will be participating in the "Cops In Shops" program aimed at curbing underage drinking. Under the program, police officers pose as store clerks or wait just outside liquor stores to arrest people under age 21 who buy liquor. Adults who buy for underage patrons also will be arrested.

Penalties for underage drinking include fines and the loss of a driver's license for six months.

The AAA New Jersey Automobile Club estimates 945,000 New Jerseyans will hit the road this weekend for holiday travel.

Gasoline prices are up for the second week in a row, to an average of $2.61 for a gallon of regular. That's below the national average of $2.75, but still nine cents higher than a year ago.

Four people were killed on New Jersey highways last July 4th weekend.

"The goal we set each year is for a fatality-free holiday," said State Police Superintendent Col. Rick Fuentes. "We can only attain that goal if the motoring public adheres to the driving behaviors that constitute safe driving."

They should just legalize fireworks, enough of this wasted effort to further nanny us. They already were saying states are gonna cut back on firework shows because of the debt our country is in. Well legalize them and cancel the shows.. Enough of Mommy State of New Jersey. So what every now and then someone blows off a thumb, they will learn their lesson the next time..

New Jersey Police Patrol Pa. Border For Illegal Fireworks, Patrol For Underage Drinking And Drunk Driving

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ?

While many New Jerseyans will enjoy beaches, boardwalks and barbecues this July 4th weekend, police will be preoccupied with illegal fireworks, underage drinkers and drunk drivers.

State and local police will be monitoring drivers who cross into Pennsylvania to buy fireworks, then bring them back into New Jersey, where fireworks of any type -- including sparklers -- are illegal.

Possession of fireworks is a misdemeanor, but possession with intent to sell is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Police in 31 Jersey shore towns also will be participating in the "Cops In Shops" program aimed at curbing underage drinking. Under the program, police officers pose as store clerks or wait just outside liquor stores to arrest people under age 21 who buy liquor. Adults who buy for underage patrons also will be arrested.

Penalties for underage drinking include fines and the loss of a driver's license for six months.

The AAA New Jersey Automobile Club estimates 945,000 New Jerseyans will hit the road this weekend for holiday travel.

Gasoline prices are up for the second week in a row, to an average of $2.61 for a gallon of regular. That's below the national average of $2.75, but still nine cents higher than a year ago.

"The goal we set each year is for a fatality-free holiday," said State Police Superintendent Col. Rick Fuentes. "We can only attain that goal if the motoring public adheres to the driving behaviors that constitute safe driving."

you know they take them home with them when their shift is over :lol:

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ?

20 years ago?? Yes. NOW??? It all goes to the local Bomb Squad for disposal. We dont have anywhere near the amount of fireworks we used to get. Once nYC cracked down the easy access dried up. Now that people have to drive an hour to Pa they dont seem to buy them anymore as much.

I'm just making a un-backable observation, but it seems that the guys who get busted for fireworks are the ones who stack their tahoe's and escalades up to the roof and then speed home on 78.. swerving and cutting people off like the meat heads that they are.

A little conservatism and discreteness along with a simple look at Google maps could go a long way... just saying.. ;)

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ?

20 years ago?? Yes. NOW??? It all goes to the local Bomb Squad for disposal. We dont have anywhere near the amount of fireworks we used to get. Once nYC cracked down the easy access dried up. Now that people have to drive an hour to Pa they dont seem to buy them anymore as much.

How does the bomb squad dispose of them? why not just keep them for personal use if your in the bomb squad?

>_>

<_<

... I have some sparklers still.....

Last year I saw some "Rental" cops on ATV's flying down the beach at night ,weaving through people and spraying sand all over the place. What was the emergency they were responding to? Two young girls (~7) waving sparklers.

What this state won't do for a few more revenue streams.

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ?

How does the bomb squad dispose of them? why not just keep them for personal use if your in the bomb squad?

because there are reams of paperwork with every single item having to be checked, rechecked and accounted for..which is why i laugh when the D-bags start with the "that gun will end up in some cop's safe' Bullsnot. The small stuff ends up in a dumpster, soaked with kerosene or diesel for a crontrolled burn, the BIG stuff gats laid out in rtrences, counter-charged with det cord, and blown that way. it's a HUGE hassle for everyone involved.

seems like a big waste of money, they are better off gathering large items and selling them to other states.. like firearms to generate some extra money for the police department, like they do with their old police cars.

because there are reams of paperwork with every single item having to be checked, rechecked and accounted for..which is why i laugh when the D-bags start with the "that gun will end up in some cop's safe' Bullsnot. The small stuff ends up in a dumpster, soaked with kerosene or diesel for a crontrolled burn, the BIG stuff gats laid out in rtrences, counter-charged with det cord, and blown that way. it's a HUGE hassle for everyone involved.

I'm no bomb squad expert but if one wanted to dispose of fireworks, why go through all that fancy detonating cord? Just dunk them in water and let them spend a day or two there. Dead fireworks, water and a big ass rubbermaid container is cheap! Wouldn't that do the job just fine? I have no fireworks experience of course, as I am a law abiding NJ resident, not a sticky fingered patrolman so please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I can tell the fireworks are just made of gunpowder and cardboard/paper. Then again I guess the objective is to make as big of a deal as possible and spend lots of taxpayer money over nothing.

Also, I think it's pretty naive to think all the cops really go through all that. I am sure plenty of local cops skim some/all of the confiscated fireworks before the paperwork and enjoy them at New Year's.

I'm no bomb squad expert but if one wanted to dispose of fireworks, why go through all that fancy detonating cord? Just dunk them in water and let them spend a day or two there. Dead fireworks, water and a big a** rubbermaid container is cheap! Wouldn't that do the job just fine? I have no fireworks experience of course, as I am a law abiding NJ resident, not a sticky fingered patrolman so please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I can tell the fireworks are just made of gunpowder and cardboard/paper. Then again I guess the objective is to make as big of a deal as possible and spend lots of taxpayer money over nothing.

Also, I think it's pretty naive to think all the cops really go through all that. I am sure plenty of local cops skim some/all of the confiscated fireworks before the paperwork and enjoy them at New Year's.

there you go again :roll: .. but hey WTF do i Know..im just the guy who actually DOES the job..as opposed to the internet Commandos who know it all. ANYWAY the Potassium perchorate and aluminum powder that make up the Flash powder in Fireworks (NOT Black powder) are classifed as Hazardous materails..they have to be burned off, you cant just soak them and landfill.

the Potassium perchorate and aluminum powder that make up the Flash powder in Fireworks (NOT Black powder) are classifed as Hazardous materails..they have to be burned off, you cant just soak them and landfill.

Thanks for your help officer, never knew that.

there you go again :roll: .. but hey WTF do i Know..im just the guy who actually DOES the job..as opposed to the internet Commandos who know it all.

Bit snarky there, are we? Back on the ignore/foes list for you.

Is I still on that list Nicky? :mrgreen:

I can understand the drunk driving enforcement, but waiting by the border to confiscate fireworks seems like a big waste of tax payor money. It is Independwnce Day. We are celebrating our freedom. Just another law of control.

I can understand the drunk driving enforcement, but waiting by the border to confiscate fireworks seems like a big waste of tax payor money. It is Independwnce Day. We are celebrating our freedom. Just another law of control.

I think the opposite is true. If the fireworks are illegal, why would anyone go there on the 4th weekend? Seems like easy pickin's of people that put things off to the last minute.

I should also mention, the cops I know (3) tell me they would never risk what they have to blow a few Class C fireworks off at home. As my friend D.D. explains it, Everyone in his neighborhood knows he's a cop. All that has to happen is someone drops a dime on him. He doesn't answer about lighting them somewhere else besides his home though.

Heck I thought when I deployed with with NYFD firefighters that they would get the good stuff too. Nope. Too much for them to lose when they are looking to get their 20 years in.

Not sure if this is true or not but there was a rumor of observers parked near the fireworks distributors in PA calling back the descriptions of cars with NJ plates that stopped in to buy fireworks. Cops on the NJ side would then pull these cars over.

The whole firework ban is just a way to make money. $275 dollar fine for waving a sparkler?

I'm not gonna bust a cops chops for doing his job of enforcing laws, but our "beloved politicians" just keep coming up with ways to take more of our money so they can waste it.

Not sure if this is true or not but there was a rumor of observers parked near the fireworks distributors in PA calling back the descriptions of cars with NJ plates that stopped in to buy fireworks. Cops on the NJ side would then pull these cars over.

The whole firework ban is just a way to make money. $275 dollar fine for waving a sparkler?

I'm not gonna bust a cops chops for doing his job of enforcing laws, but our "beloved politicians" just keep coming up with ways to take more of our money so they can waste it.

almost makes me want to go in there and purchase ANYTHING that is legal just so i can give a ton of shit when they pull me over to "investigate" my horrid crime.. :roll:

LOL yeah Damagedworld. Would love to go buy a case of soda and drive back into NJ going exactly the speed limit with my seatbelt on and watch them pull me over guns drawn with the bomb sniffing dogs, M4, 12 ounce mace cans and armored SWAT vehicles.

"No officer, I don't have any fireworks. Unless you count shaking up this can of sprite really hard and then popping the tab!"

Meanwhile, as they are beating me senseless Rodney King style on the side of the road, a gigantic 18 wheeler full of fireworks drives past unnoticed into NJ :lol:

If only someone guarded the US-Mexico border with such fervor :roll:

LOL yeah Damagedworld. Would love to go buy a case of soda and drive back into NJ going exactly the speed limit with my seatbelt on and watch them pull me over guns drawn with the bomb sniffing dogs, M4, 12 ounce mace cans and armored SWAT vehicles.

"No officer, I don't have any fireworks. Unless you count shaking up this can of sprite really hard and then popping the tab!"

Meanwhile, as they are beating me senseless Rodney King style on the side of the road, a gigantic 18 wheeler full of fireworks drives past unnoticed into NJ :lol:

Dont get me wrong... drunks setting off fireworks IS a problem.. people are dipshits anymore and I can totally see the issue there.. BUT punish the people who create problems INSTEAD of just over-regulating EVERYTHING..

I don't know if Jersey is doing it, but New York is. Those bastards use civil forfeiture and seize your car. They do the same for DUI in New York.

Dont get me wrong... drunks setting off fireworks IS a problem.. people are dipshits anymore and I can totally see the issue there.. BUT punish the people who create problems INSTEAD of just over-regulating EVERYTHING..

Yeah, but for every dumb ass who blows his hand off there's a hundred people who aren't drunken retards.

IMO, spending the rest of your life without a left hand is enough of a punishment for misuse of fireworks

LEGALIZE FREEDOM

there you go again :roll: .. but hey WTF do i Know..im just the guy who actually DOES the job..as opposed to the internet Commandos who know it all.

Bit snarky there, are we? Back on the ignore/foes list for you.

Wow i'm heartbroken...but then again i am what was it again??? Oh yeah a "Badged up Moron" so anything I say sholodnt affect you anyway. :roll:

seems like a big waste of money, they are better off gathering large items and selling them to other states.. like firearms to generate some extra money for the police department, like they do with their old police cars.

I dont disagree, but the Fun Suckers in Trenton dont allow it...

Oh yeah a "Badged up Moron" so anything I say sholodnt affect you anyway. :roll:

No, see that is the problem. What a moron does normally has no effect on people's lives so I couldn't care less.

Unfortunately, when a moron gets a badge, it poses problems for our freedom/safety/well being.

Oh yeah a "Badged up Moron" so anything I say sholodnt affect you anyway. :roll:

No, see that is the problem. What a moron does normally has no effect on people's lives so I couldn't care less.

Unfortunately, when a moron gets a badge, it poses problems for our freedom/safety/well being.

That is now the Poster I was responding to refers to ANY Le in this state FF. But if my presence here offends you as much as it seems, I can always find another forum.

That is now the Poster I was responding to refers to ANY Le in this state FF. But if my presence here offends you as much as it seems, I can always find another forum.

Police are doing their jobs, it's the politicians you should be going after. Just because you may have had some bad run ins with police in the past, doesn't mean you have hate on the police who've been here much longer than you, and give us a police officers perspective on issues.

If you don't like his position on issues, either respond with intelligence to his argument or ignore it, if your gonna make a blatant comments just to be a dick, than it's not really what this forum is all about. And FYI he is an oathkeeper. Take other people's perspectives with a grain of salt, and weather right or not, use intellectual means instead of bigoted arrogance to argue your point.