mikeyboyeee

Stag model 8?

Anyone have 1?

Thoughts on the brand/model for my 1st foray into the Ar platform (aside from my M&P 22).

Was looking at the M&P 15 deal which is obviously less, but think the Stag 8 comes with BUIS front and rear and that will cost some bucks anyway, so brings the price a bit closer.

Or am I better off with the cheaper M&P 15 NJ compliant model?

A lot of guys here will stand by their Stags (so I'm sure you'll hear about that). I've heard a lot of good things if you're a lefty, and I've heard decent things about model 5... my only advice is to do your homework before buying anything.

IMO the merit of piston retrofits is still inconclusive. Many hold the only advantage is in super short suppressed guns. A lot of piston guns seemed to be seriously plagued with issues like carrier tilt. Theres a bunch of pics of the new Ruger piston guns chewing up reciever extensions like rabid hamsters. My first hand access to military piston rifle projects and a bunch of piston rifles that failed miserably gave me my own doubts(no I wont name names). It is my opinion that a rifle that was not designed as a piston gun is going to fall a bit short trying to be a piston gun. The one thing I like in a piston gun over DI is its water borne abilities. But my piston guns were designed as piston guns.

Consider the fact that the LMT MWS won the British mil contract. It won over an HK piston rifle including reliability!

A few other good articles.

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4 ... nreliable/

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-ri ... -part-one/

A lot of guys here will stand by their Stags (so I'm sure you'll hear about that). I've heard a lot of good things if you're a lefty, and I've heard decent things about model 5... my only advice is to do your homework before buying anything.

Hell yeah I'll stand by my Stag Lefty! The only issue I had was with using Wolf steel cased ammo a few years ago, the cases (2) didn't eject and needed to be punched out with a cleaning rod.

Stag, Ruger, Smith&Wesson, DPMS, Bushmaster are all quality AR's at great prices.

IMO the merit of piston retrofits is still inconclusive. Many hold the only advantage is in super short suppressed guns. A lot of piston guns seemed to be seriously plagued with issues like carrier tilt. Theres a bunch of pics of the new Ruger piston guns chewing up reciever extensions like rabid hamsters. My first hand access to military piston rifle projects and a bunch of piston rifles that failed miserably gave me my own doubts(no I wont name names). It is my opinion that a rifle that was not designed as a piston gun is going to fall a bit short trying to be a piston gun. The one thing I like in a piston gun over DI is its water borne abilities. But my piston guns were designed as piston guns.

Consider the fact that the LMT MWS won the British mil contract. It won over an HK piston rifle including reliability!

A few other good articles.

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4 ... nreliable/

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-ri ... -part-one/

Someone is making a new-design Buffer that has a projection that mates with the back of the bolt Carrier, and keeps everything straight...Yes it's a Bandaid..but it seems like it does a decent job removing the carrier tilt issue.

For just under 1100 all in, it comes with Midwest industries front and rear flip up sights and a hard case.

Someone please tell me why i shouldn't buy this, sell my 15-22 and eventually buy a .22 upper for this.

I am having a tough time talking myself out of a divorce finalization gift to myself.

I have found in most things in life you get what you pay for. Its up to you to decide where that point of diminished returns is. I dont care for stag because they use cheaper steel in their barrels. Barrels and BCG's are the heart of AR's in my opinion. I would go Bushmaster over Stag fer a bit better barrel. 4140 barrel does not meet mill spec, 4150 or better does. This general reference chart is a good guide.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

I have found in most things in life you get what you pay for. Its up to you to decide where that point of diminished returns is. I dont care for stag because they use cheaper steel in their barrels. Barrels and BCG's are the heart of AR's in my opinion. I would go Bushmaster over Stag fer a bit better barrel. This general reference chart is a good guide.

I am paying 200-300 more then I want to already. It was that or the cheap M&P deal. M&P ships with no mags if from CDNN.

Can get the Stag for 200-300 more then the NJ legal M&P, but the stag comes with case and very good flips up sights so add that to the M&P and now were are in same ballpark.

This is my 1st and likely only AR 5.56 and from all the reviews I have read, think it will shoot my relatively infrequent shooting just fine.

I can certainly appreciate better quality but seriously doubt I will tell the difference between a more expensive Bushmaster vs the Stag.

And quite frankly, I am not willing to spend a penny more.

Im loosing track with all the AR threads as of late :D I would probably take an S&W M&P over the bushie or the stag. If you really want to save some money I would sell you my Bushmaster for 749 without rear site 849 with a matech. Its in VERY good condition, Jersey Legal, Free floated, and if you brought your own ammo we could go shoot it and you could go home with it afterwords if you were happy with it(you would be). No transfer fees, no tax, no shipping, no nics, leaves you enough for accessories, ammo etc etc. I have had this AR for 10 years. I have had many come and go, never this one.

This sight

http://www.amazon.com/Matech-Sight-Pica ... B002IWRG14

This rifle

http://www.impactguns.com/store/604206037428.html

Thining the herd heavily because either Im getting a SCAR H or LMT MWS :D

I may just take you up on that.

Have a pic of actual gun?

Im loosing track with all the AR threads as of late :D I would probably take an S&W M&P over the bushie or the stag. If you really want to save some money I would sell you my Bushmaster for 749 without rear site 849 with a matech. Its in VERY good condition, Jersey Legal, Free floated, and if you brought your own ammo we could go shoot it and you could go home with it afterwords if you were happy with it(you would be). No transfer fees, no tax, no shipping, no nics, leaves you enough for accessories, ammo etc etc. I have had this AR for 10 years. I have had many come and go, never this one.

This sight

http://www.amazon.com/Matech-Sight-Pica ... B002IWRG14

This rifle

http://www.impactguns.com/store/604206037428.html

Thining the herd heavily because either Im getting a SCAR H or LMT MWS :D

I have found in most things in life you get what you pay for. Its up to you to decide where that point of diminished returns is. I dont care for stag because they use cheaper steel in their barrels. Barrels and BCG's are the heart of AR's in my opinion. I would go Bushmaster over Stag fer a bit better barrel. 4140 barrel does not meet mill spec, 4150 or better does. This general reference chart is a good guide.

Good spread sheet Shane, thanks!

Im loosing track with all the AR threads as of late :D I would probably take an S&W M&P over the bushie or the stag.

The barrel on the Smity is 4140 too Shane, so I guess your just a hater on Stag's!

:mrgreen:

I Have a model 8. I really like it and have had 0 issues with about 600 rounds through it. Never has jammed with several different brass ammo choices. This is my first AR so my perspective is not broad. Cleaning is a breeze due to the piston.

My son who has a lot of experience with ARs from the Army was also very impressed with the Model 8, if that means anything. Where are you located? I'll let you shoot it if you want to come out to Eastom fish and game range.

Also give Jim Flynn a call and see if he has one. He sold me mine for $1060 out the door.

Greg

Theres always trade offs Ray, like I said, you must find your own line of diminished returns. But if it must be known, I dont hate stags but I dont think I cound get past a Deer stamped on the side of my rifle :lol:

Shane, if DPMS or Bushmaster or Colt or whoever made a lefty, then I'd be up on them too. But Stag is the only one, so that's why I'm a fan.

Thats a pretty good reason to like them. But your parents should have tied your left hand behind your back when you were a kid!

By the way, early S&W M&P AR's were re branded stags. They werent so hot according to them and thats why they went in house......

Shane, do you realize that you I agree on nothing? Kimbers, revolvers, AR's, whatever else, but I still have a spot in my heart for you!