NJJim

Why? Mosin Nagants and their relatives.

...If the thing was rare or had some other significant reason for being, I could see it. I understand Mosins do have historical significance but, just like black powder guns and muzzle loaders, ?????????? Why use primitive tools?....

Mosins arent primative. Thats like calling a remington 700 or a M40 or winchester model 70 etc etc primative. Simply bed the action and it would kick the crap out of an AR-15 at 800 meters :lol:

Plus, the mosin wont jam like an AR would.

Today's battles are not at 800 meters. At 800 meters I would choose a modern rifle designed for that range. Obviously the AR was not meant to be used at that range either. In battle, would you rather have an AR or a Mosin Nagant.

I will say again. Not here to debate just asked reasons to buy one of "those" guns.

Lol.. We need to get one of these guns into Jim's shoulder and he can see why... :-D :-D :-D

If anybody is looking for me I'll be at the range for the rest of the day shooting my new CZ 453 American. If it shoots the way people say, I'll keep it.

I challenge you to a 800 meter outdoor match. My $80 mosin vs your .22 which cost alot more. You can even use a scope :lol:

How about I bring an FN SPR in 308 and make it apples and apples (bolt action 7.62x51 vs bolt action 7.62 x 54) instead of apples and oranges? :)

I'll take your bet at 50 yards with my bone stock TC .22 semi auto against your $80 Mosin. Haven't shot the CZ yet I'll let you know about that one later.

I'm going to CJRPC now.

See ya.

Lol.. We need to get one of these guns into Jim's shoulder and he can see why... :-D :-D :-D

I tried that.. figured I was just being a hater and had nothing to really base my dislike on other than aesthetics. Then I tried one, and I liked them even less :lol:

WTB CZ isn't American ... its from the Czech Republic... must be garbage :deadhorse:

well... they have CZ-USA, but that's like saying BP is American.

Last post for now, I really want to go shoot.

Yes numnutz! (In my best Gunny voice) :) CZ 453 American is made in CZech Republic. Duh. The model name is 453 American as opposed to 453 Varmint or 452 Lux or 527 American. All CZ rifles made in Czech Republic.

How about I bring an FN SPR in 308 and make it apples and apples (bolt action 7.62x51 vs bolt action 7.62 x 54) instead of apples and oranges? :)

Isn't the FN SPR like $1500?? One could probably dress up the Mosin for a lot less and it may perform as good as the FN.

:facepalm:

Wow.

People shitting on my culture. =P :mrgreen:

Mosin's are crude, heavy, loud... and fun.

Why do I Collect Mosins?

History. Much like people passed up over 1903's, Garand's, Mausers, Arisaka's for junk.... those are perhaps the most durable firearms there are.

Arisaka's are by far one of the most durable rifles ever made. (strongest receivers)

Mosin's are a design that is over 100 years old. It is like saying the 1911 is old junk.

Mosin's have been recently imported, over say the past 20 years. 1903's and the rest of America's "Junk" has been here forever. The soviet union had a firearm or two for every man woman and child that can hold a gun. Imagine if the total supply of rifles was dumped onto the market at one time. Obviously the prices will be dirt cheap... much like Garands, 1903's, Arisaka's and Krag's were.

As far as the russian "Junk"

It was made by both Westinghouse and Remington. They were produced by Chaterlau in France. They were sent to Finland to fight against the Soviet Union.

Here is one more for you...

The Russians used fairly STOCK Mosin's and took Gold and Bronze in the 1976 Olympics using this crude weapon. they beat out Finland with that Anshuntz shit or whatever the biathlon rifles are.

Some more...

If my life depended on an M16, A Sig 556, or a Mosin, and the AK was not avail, I would trust my life to a Mosin to go bang every time.

Sealed ammo in spam cans that was designed to shoot 100 years from now, more stopping power than a 308 and nearly the ballistics of a 30-06.

Hey, even this old crude technology with a scope is giving guys in Afghanistan nightmare, and nearly destroyed the soviet union when they were there.

And by far... the Mosin's have as much history as anything else out there.... get it while you can.

You wonder about how good a cheap $100, scratch that $150 Mosin Nagant can be.... I wonder what makes a $1,000 Garand, or a $1,000 1903, or a $1200 1898 30-40 Krag 10 times better.

:facepalm:

As far as Europe.... Europe has by far a richer history. Besides, you dont need a passport to go visit Texas. As long as CMP is around, you will have an easier time to find a 1903 or an M1 than other IMPORTED rifles as supplies dry out.

Isn't the FN SPR like $1500?? One could probably dress up the Mosin for a lot less and it may perform as good as the FN.

Eric's Mosin vs FN SPR.

Why say you cannot understand why someone would want a non-american rifle like a MN then? Why would someone want a non-American CZ? Its not party of American History! You should have bought a Remy 700 or something...with a scope that was made in America. Ya know, why would anyone want Japanese optics?

Idk... turning into a big troll fest. Its obvious why people are attracted to the MN as already stated in the beginning of the thread. If you every want to try my M44 i'll be happy to bring it out and we can have some fun shooting it. I'm obviously not hunting in NJ with it, I'm not shooting people at 1000 yards, and I'm not competing with it... it is what it is... just fun.

If you every want to try my M44 i'll be happy to bring it out and we can have some fun shooting it. I'm obviously not hunting in NJ with it, I'm not shooting people at 1000 yards, and I'm not competing with it... it is what it is... just fun.

Same goes for me. That's why I have the brake and the recoil pad on it - it's a lot more fun that way and doesn't kill my shoulder. Plus even a noob shooter could try it out and have fun. I've let a bunch of people try mine at the BH.

Ok ok, I am going nuts here... but...

I just sold my $1400 Sig 556 to buy more Russian, German and Israeli Junk.

Russian 91/30 that was already decosmoed... :mrgreen:

and some ex German Israeli 308 Mausers.

You will always be able to buy back a sig 556 or any other mass produced modern gun that has absolute 0 collectible value.

You will have a much harder time trying to find a great condition of a 60 to a 100 year old rifle/pistol.

Here is some more junk in action.

Find me a $100 gun with $50 worth of work that will do the same.

t2M1hC4c0tc

What a piece of shit maks. Damn, why cant a $5,000 AR do that?

Hmmm

Must be because its obsolete junk! worthless. Especially worthless because it will appreciate in value instead of depreciate :facepalm:

AND its with a junk russian scope! Not a $3,000 leupold!

You wonder about how good a cheap $100, scratch that $150 Mosin Nagant can be.... I wonder what makes a $1,000 Garand, or a $1,000 1903, or a $1200 1898 30-40 Krag 10 times better.

A Garand or a 1903 or whatever are worth $1000 to me simply so I don't have to deal with the God awful bolt on the Mosins ;) Yeah I know.. some sandpaper and you can fix that right up.. but that's not the point :lol:

Eric's Mosin vs FN SPR.

Eric doesn't count. He's a freak of nature when it comes to Mosins :D

Now as far as the American vs. Non American thing.. I can only speak for myself.. but that doesn't play much of a role in my dislike for Mosins. As I've already stated, I do like 1903s and 1917s and their role in WWI and WWII certainly play into my interest for them - but I also have an interest in .303 Enfields and Mausers. And my go to gun is a piece of plastic designed in Austria.. so, I wouldn't say it's an American vs. NonAmerican thing for me.

Here ya go. More Junk....

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7083

It has the cleanest bore of all, and will shoot 1 moa with 100 year old ammo all day long.

Will play with handloads.

Pete, btw, the whole sticky bolt.... its not a gun issue... its an issue of people who dont clean their guns and shoot ammo while their bore still has cosmo preservatives in it. I have/had about 10 Mosins. Only 1 of them has sticky bolt... and I didnt even give it a good clean.

I like 1903's but it is no where near as smooth as as a Swedish Mauser. wait... a 1903 is A MAUSER. lol.

A Garand or a 1903 or whatever are worth $1000 to me simply so I don't have to deal with the God awful bolt on the Mosins ;) Yeah I know.. some sandpaper and you can fix that right up.. but that's not the point :lol:

So can I buy a mosin for $100 bucks, slick it up in 20 minutes, and sell it to your for $1,000? :mrgreen:

Why are people into AR's/M16's

They have the most fickle gas system out of any rifle on the market(shits where it eats)

They are prone to failures and jams( I am a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan and have seen first hand them jam catastrophically when you need them to work the most)

They shoot an underpowered caliber that is almost useless in modern combat(why do you think they are pulling the M14's out of storage and issuing them in Iraq and Afghanistan) a little side note: the 5.56 was designed to fight a european adversary. The thought was that the 5.56 wouldn't kill just wound. If you wound 1, you effectively take 3 out of combat, 2 others for stretcher bearers. Hadji doesn't care if his buddy Bob just got hit, he just keeps on walkin'

They are made out of primarily plastic

so the argument goes both ways.

They have the most fickle gas system out of any rifle on the market(shits where it eats)

They are prone to failures and jams( I am a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan and have seen first hand them jam catastrophically when you need them to work the most)

They shoot an underpowered caliber that is almost useless in modern combat(why do you think they are pulling the M14's out of storage and issuing them in Iraq and Afghanistan) a little side note: the 5.56 was designed to fight a european adversary. The thought was that the 5.56 wouldn't kill just wound. If you wound 1, you effectively take 3 out of combat, 2 others for stretcher bearers. Hadji doesn't care if his buddy Bob just got hit, he just keeps on walkin'

It definitely does.. like I said earlier, I know there are plenty of guys that don't get my ARs.

I happen to be of the opinion that with the proper ammo selection and understanding what works and what doesn't on an AR, largely negate many of the shortcomings you've listed. I'm luckily not subjected to any of the restrictions (particularly regarding ammunition) that the guys in the military have to deal with.

Oh, and thanks for you service ;)

I would totally sell my Mosin and put it towards a Sig 556 or AR of some kind.

Seriously though, I wasn't understanding the love for Mosins either, Until I fired one... The only thing I would say is try it out and see for yourself. Don't knock it till you try it. :)

It definitely does.. like I said earlier, I know there are plenty of guys that don't get my ARs.

I happen to be of the opinion that with the proper ammo selection and understanding what works and what doesn't on an AR, largely negate many of the shortcomings you've listed. I'm luckily not subjected to any of the restrictions (particularly regarding ammunition) that the guys in the military have to deal with.

Oh, and thanks for you service ;)

I've fired corroded MG loaded ammo out of my mosin no problem. Every handfull of rounds i'de have to take the bolt apart and empty it of the blown out primers because it would start to lock up. But it ate em just fine.

That would be akin to firing a double charged wolf round, rusted, in an AR. have fun :D

long ago 1903's sold for $29.00 and Lugers where in wood boxes covered in cosmo on the floor in some shops for the same price so 1 day you might say I should have bought some .

If you read up on the markings they have a lot of history to them .

As far as ugly !!! not to me