Sign in to follow this  
joshroz2

Hunting in NJ with centerfire

Anybody keen on the rules for hunting with centerfire rifles in NJ? I'm really only interested in deer and I'm aware of the other rules(bag limits etc.). From the stuff I've read so far all I can gather is that only adults can use centerfire rifles to hunt, are there any other restrictions on centerfire?(.308 or .233 semi-auto and bolt guns are what I'd hunt with.)

Any recommendations or suggestions on centerfire hunting and where to hunt are appreciated.

So when they say "No persons under 18 years old may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles" they are talking about .22 centerfire or another smaller caliber centerfire(they mentioned something about other calibers on a page 51 that i couldn't find)... that's disappointing.

Thanks for the source though, that sort of clears it up. I wish they could define it clearly like no centerfire rifles allowed, instead it seems like they pretend real rifles don't exist.

That sort of makes sense but a .50 cal muzzleloader will travel as far as .223 easy and depending on what angle its pointed will also go very far.

what makes the least sense is hunting squirrels and other small game with a muzzleloader is OK. Apparently muzzleloaders also have to be bigger than .44 so that's like hitting a dear with a cannon ball.

Anybody keen on the rules for hunting with centerfire rifles in NJ? I'm really only interested in deer and I'm aware of the other rules(bag limits etc.). From the stuff I've read so far all I can gather is that only adults can use centerfire rifles to hunt, are there any other restrictions on centerfire?(.308 or .233 semi-auto and bolt guns are what I'd hunt with.)

Any recommendations or suggestions on centerfire hunting and where to hunt are appreciated.

You CANNOT HUNT WITH A CENTERFIRE RIFLE IN NJ. Source is NJ law. For aloooooong time you could not hunt with rifles, where did you think you could? What made you think you could? You familiarized yourself with bag limits, but not which guns and ammo are appropriate? Sounds fishy....

First of all, for those of you who hunt in NJ and know what hunting in NJ 'looks like' You would not want ANYONE out there with a .308 or a .223!!! This thread is making me nuts!!!!

:deadhorse:

And why exactly are centerfire rifles banned for hunting in our great state of NJ? Can't wait to hear this one.

population desnity..even though the "population" is most densly located AWAY from where the majority of the hunting is.

That sort of makes sense but a .50 cal muzzleloader will travel as far as .223 easy and depending on what angle its pointed will also go very far.

what makes the least sense is hunting squirrels and other small game with a muzzleloader is OK. Apparently muzzleloaders also have to be bigger than .44 so that's like hitting a dear with a cannon ball.

Squirrels can only be hunted with a .32 or .36 Muzzleloader. As far as the Deer Rifles, even the most Modern inline Muzzleloaders only develop handgun velocities. Large Caliber, heavy projectiles are needed to ensure enough shock and trauma to take the animal cleanly.

The idea that a Muzzleoader will fire the same range as a .223 is completely incorrect. Muzzle velocity for an average .45 cal load is 1795 at the muzzle, 1703 at 50 yards, 1616 at 100. for a .223 (55Gr) it's 3240 at the muzzle, 2773 at 100 yards.

Just require anyone hunting with a center fire to have a flair gun and a fire extinguisher with them. Shoot the flair gun, wait for the flair to hit the ground, find and extinguish it, then everyone is warned and can duck, then take the shot. It's so simple. I don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone. I have some more ideas if anyone's interested.

Just require anyone hunting with a center fire to have a flair gun and a fire extinguisher with them. Shoot the flair gun, wait for the flair to hit the ground, find and extinguish it, then everyone is warned and can duck, then take the shot. It's so simple. I don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone. I have some more ideas if anyone's interested.

The way your mind works is perfect for the NJ State Legislature, you should really consider running...

• Like 1

Sounds good to me. When the other side stands by a totally illogical point tooth and nail, you have no recourse other than dropping to their level and standing by your own totally ridiculous and illogical point. Hopefully at some point someone in power will realize the complete clusterf**k that has taken place and throw the entire thing out the window.

Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts and some counties in New York still have hunting bans on rifles. I think New Jersey has always banned rifles for deer hunting. There was a time when buckshot was only legal in some states before progressive steps were made for slugs and muzzleloaders. It's nothing new. Delaware has been somewhat progressive and now allows a handgun in lieu of a shotgun for deer hunting. And there are still northern counties in New York (southern Ontario County being one of them) fighting to allow the use of rifle for deer hunting.

And New Jersey now ranks as the most densely populated state in the U.S. Don't think there will be a major initiative anytime soon to legitimize them for hunting. Hunters are struggling enough in this state. There has never been a push or concerted effort to legalize them.

Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts and some counties in New York still have hunting bans on rifles. I think New Jersey has always banned rifles for deer hunting. There was a time when buckshot was only legal in some states before progressive steps were made for slugs and muzzleloaders. It's nothing new. Delaware has been somewhat progressive and now allows a handgun in lieu of a shotgun for deer hunting. And there are still northern counties in New York (southern Ontario County being one of them) fighting to allow the use of rifle for deer hunting.

Pennsylvania also has several "shotgun only" zones near Philadelphia.

You likely will not find a more pro-2A person than me, and I think NJ Hunting regulations make perfect sense. You guys need to take this less personally and look at them in practical terms rather than assuming this is more "dey took er guns" kinda stuff.

NJ, MA, MD, etc. these are all very densely populated states. There are people hunting in places that are not very far at all from someone's house. I also was told by a guy that hunts in NJ that there are "70,000 hunters in the woods this weekend" and that he hasn't even taken a shot in 4 years now. A lot of you are seriously ignorant about just how far something like a .308 can travel, especially if shot on an angle. Things like shotgun slugs, handguns and muzzle loaders may be huge caliber but they are slow moving and have a terrible shape and will lose velocity quickly and fall to the ground after only a couple hundred yards, and are a lot safer in crowded places like NJ.

The way your mind works is perfect for the NJ State Legislature, you should really consider running...

This is just the tip of the iceburg! Job creation through everyone's regulated life and fines to justify. My platform is forming.

You likely will not find a more pro-2A person than me, and I think NJ Hunting regulations make perfect sense. You guys need to take this less personally and look at them in practical terms rather than assuming this is more "dey took er guns" kinda stuff.

NJ, MA, MD, etc. these are all very densely populated states. There are people hunting in places that are not very far at all from someone's house. I also was told by a guy that hunts in NJ that there are "70,000 hunters in the woods this weekend" and that he hasn't even taken a shot in 4 years now. A lot of you are seriously ignorant about just how far something like a .308 can travel, especially if shot on an angle. Things like shotgun slugs, handguns and muzzle loaders may be huge caliber but they are slow moving and have a terrible shape and will lose velocity quickly and fall to the ground after only a couple hundred yards, and are a lot safer in crowded places like NJ.

I am used to the restrictions in this state so these rules have never bothered me. Limiting the use of rifles in this state makes sense. The state of hunting in N.J. has only gotten better as they've become more progressive over the years since the 70's and 80's. But the sad fact remains that there are significantly less hunters with guns in the woods each year based on the number of license sales the state has tracked since 1970. Maybe in 1970 this statement would have been true; that there are "70,000 hunters in the woods this weekend." Maybe then, but not now. Tabulations of license sales in N.J. dating back over the years tell a different tale. In 2009, less than 50,000 resident and non-resident hunting licenses were sold. Hunting license presume "gun" hunters and those numbers do not necessarily reflect deer hunters either. Do a percentage comparison of gun-hunters in 1970 with a state population of just over 7 million inhabitants to gun-hunters in 2009 factoring in a population growth to 8.8 million people. Sobering numbers.

License sales have dropped drastically over the last 40 years; and not from restrictive game laws but due to a lack of interest, growing license fees, cultural shifts and attitude towards hunting, and loss of habitat and farmland resulting in diminished game populations. The only two game animals that have flourished in this state have been the deer and turkey. And bears to some extent.

From the state website - License sales (ALL) from 1970-2009:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/lice ... s70-09.pdf

I am used to the restrictions in this state so these rules have never bothered me. Limiting the use of rifles in this state makes sense. The state of hunting in N.J. has only gotten better as they've become more progressive over the years since the 70's and 80's. But the sad fact remains that there are significantly less hunters with guns in the woods each year based on the number of license sales the state has tracked since 1970. Maybe in 1970 this statement would have been true; that there are "70,000 hunters in the woods this weekend." Maybe then, but not now. Tabulations of license sales in N.J. dating back over the years tell a different tale. In 2009, less than 50,000 resident and non-resident hunting licenses were sold. Hunting license presume "gun" hunters and those numbers do not necessarily reflect deer hunters either. Do a percentage comparison of gun-hunters in 1970 with a state population of just over 7 million inhabitants to gun-hunters in 2009 factoring in a population growth to 8.8 million people. Sobering numbers.

License sales have dropped drastically over the last 40 years; and not from restrictive game laws but due to a lack of interest, growing license fees, cultural shifts and attitude towards hunting, and loss of habitat and farmland resulting in diminished game populations. The only two game animals that have flourished in this state have been the deer and turkey. And bears to some extent.

From the state website - License sales (ALL) from 1970-2009:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/lice ... s70-09.pdf

Thank you for the info, it is very insightful.

Thank you for the info, it is very insightful.

As I noted with the attached link, hunter numbers and those who participate in the sport of hunting with any type of firearm are diminishing each year. And I was incorrect in my assessment of some of those numbers. With the advent of license types, there is a combined license (All-Around Sportsman) that I failed to account for in the tally. That raises the numbers a bit, but still not to the level we had back in the 70's.

What I also find interesting is the state fails to note the special Youth hunting license they provide FREE to hunters who pass their Hunter Safety course. Probably because it doesn't qualify as a "sale." That license is valid from the age of 10 to when the youth reaches the age of 16. With special youth days to hunt for small game, deer and turkey, the intent is to spur and nurture the interest of youngsters. That is important for they represent our future in this state.